Edit _DS_MENU.DAT

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by BRADuk, May 31, 2011.

1. BRADuk
    OP

BRADuk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2011
    I have read a few topics on this site and I know how to change icons and strings, but I want to add to the Menu e.g. There is the games icon, multimedia icon and slot 2 icon, but I want to add another that goes straight to a homebrew like DSOrganise. Is there a way of doing this please give me help and any links to programs that do this. I want to be able to change links as well, e.g. change the multimedia slot to instead of loading _DS_MSHL.NDS in root it loads \DSOrganise\DSOrganise.nds

Please help!!!
    Thanks in advance

2. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
  3. Sausage Head

Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Oct 28, 2010
    Netherlands
    alanjohn check ur pm
    You could rename DSOrganise to _DS_MSHL.NDS and place it in the root, but i'm not sure if DSOrganize has to be in it's own folder

4. BRADuk
    OP

BRADuk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2011
    I have already done this, but like i said I dont want to do this, I want to make my own menu.

5. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    You can't (easily) just "add" to it, write your own replacement. There are plenty of homebrews out there that load other .NDS files, take a look at them. Find an open source tool that does that. You could modify the NDS loading code from that into a menu letting you choose various NDS files to load. You can use r4crypt to decrypt the original menu to a .NDS so you can still load it from your new menu and the same tool will also let you encrypt your new menu to _DS_MENU.DAT so it can autoboot. Believe me, this is FAR simpler than trying to add any sort of action to the existing menu.