Wideload

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey there, I have been something of a lurker here for a wee while although I have previously posted about the R4 and the DSTT. Both of which I own.

I got my R4 roughly this time last year, however I switched to the DSTT for SDHC support and because the R4 team eventually stopped producing updates. Last week however, my DSTT, which I’ve had for around 4 months packed in, whether this was a fake or not, I’m not sure and to be honest for approximately £4.50, I’m not overly bothered.

So, after all that I’m in the market to get a new card (I swear this isn’t going to turn into a “which card should I get thread”!) I have been looking to spend a little more cash as the DSTT was evidently the budget option and I am concerned about “fakes.”

R4 Pros: Build quality, fast loading
R4 Cons: No updates, No SDHC support, didn’t play a lot of new games (presumably due to lack of updates)

DSTT Pros: SDHC support
DSTT Cons: It’s knackered, laggy menu screen, no alphabetical sorting

As such, I have been looking at the Edge card, hence the reason for this thread being here, and possibly the Acekard 2. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn’t mind having a look?

I would be using the card for games, emulators, homebrew and videos with a class 4, 8gb Kingston card. Oh I have an original fatboy DS and I use a Mac if that’s important.

Basically, and I don’t suggest that anyone has a crystal ball, but how are the updates on firmware for the Edge card, and are they likely to continue for a while in the future? (unlike the R4 situation)

Following on from this, I notice that the Edge forum is the smallest on the board second only to the eWin board (not saying that size matters!) although you guys seem pretty regular and up to date with replies, is there quite a good community of user?

Also, are there many skins available for the Edge? I notice that ndsthemes.com doesn’t have a section.

I would like from the card;

SDHC support
Continued updates
Fits the original DS
Mac compatible (drag and drop?)
Good video performance (is that Moonshell rather than the card?)
Reasonable build quality (I read a few reviews on DX that have the SD card protruding)
Nice UI
Fast loading

If you would be able to advise based on my previous experiences with other cards, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks very much in advance and sorry for rambling.

Stu
yaynds.gif

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edge has all you been looking for and very good build quality.
As for the sd card sticking out this was a problem of the first batches, the last 10 i did recive had all fit flush SD slots.
If you like the menu of the R4 u wil love the ui of the edge.
Updates come now and then but not as often needed as on other cards.

As for the forums beeing small its because it was started just a few weeks ago with the beginning of the skinning contest here.

If you look for skins you can use cyclo DS and Edge ones.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Build quality - Just received an edge from DX a week ago. MicroSD does not sit flush.
UI - copycat of R4, Cyclo. If you like the way these look, you'll like edge.
Personally, I will use my AK2 more.

Wideload

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks very much for the quick replies. What does the Edge do that other cards don’t, or what do you feel it does better than other cards?

Ahua_Keren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just go buy it and try it yourself, buddy.
both cart is not too expensive either.

There is no perfect cart for DS, or longest support for DS, meanwhile DSi is crawling out there.
but at least we can rest assure that both Edge nor Acekard 2 has a great compatibility & update support.

I prefer Edge because it's simple to use.
smile.gif

Echo1

Trophies
XP
Country
Compared to the R4DS it takes a further three seconds to load up and both my parnter's and my EDGE allows the memory card to fit flushy in both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if that was the point of game streaming
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to... +1