Edge queries

Discussion in 'EDGE' started by Wideload, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008

Edge queries by Wideload at 12:19 PM (1,162 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Wideload
    OP

Newcomer Wideload Member

United Kingdom
    Hey there, I have been something of a lurker here for a wee while although I have previously posted about the R4 and the DSTT. Both of which I own.

I got my R4 roughly this time last year, however I switched to the DSTT for SDHC support and because the R4 team eventually stopped producing updates. Last week however, my DSTT, which I’ve had for around 4 months packed in, whether this was a fake or not, I’m not sure and to be honest for approximately £4.50, I’m not overly bothered.

So, after all that I’m in the market to get a new card (I swear this isn’t going to turn into a “which card should I get thread”!) I have been looking to spend a little more cash as the DSTT was evidently the budget option and I am concerned about “fakes.”

R4 Pros: Build quality, fast loading
    R4 Cons: No updates, No SDHC support, didn’t play a lot of new games (presumably due to lack of updates)

DSTT Pros: SDHC support
    DSTT Cons: It’s knackered, laggy menu screen, no alphabetical sorting

As such, I have been looking at the Edge card, hence the reason for this thread being here, and possibly the Acekard 2. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn’t mind having a look?

I would be using the card for games, emulators, homebrew and videos with a class 4, 8gb Kingston card. Oh I have an original fatboy DS and I use a Mac if that’s important.

Basically, and I don’t suggest that anyone has a crystal ball, but how are the updates on firmware for the Edge card, and are they likely to continue for a while in the future? (unlike the R4 situation)

Following on from this, I notice that the Edge forum is the smallest on the board second only to the eWin board (not saying that size matters!) although you guys seem pretty regular and up to date with replies, is there quite a good community of user?

Also, are there many skins available for the Edge? I notice that ndsthemes.com doesn’t have a section.

I would like from the card;

SDHC support
    Continued updates
    Fits the original DS
    Mac compatible (drag and drop?)
    Good video performance (is that Moonshell rather than the card?)
    Reasonable build quality (I read a few reviews on DX that have the SD card protruding)
    Nice UI
    Fast loading

If you would be able to advise based on my previous experiences with other cards, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks very much in advance and sorry for rambling.

Stu [​IMG]

2. DSAndi

Member DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Edge has all you been looking for and very good build quality.
    As for the sd card sticking out this was a problem of the first batches, the last 10 i did recive had all fit flush SD slots.
    If you like the menu of the R4 u wil love the ui of the edge.
    Updates come now and then but not as often needed as on other cards.

As for the forums beeing small its because it was started just a few weeks ago with the beginning of the skinning contest here.

If you look for skins you can use cyclo DS and Edge ones.

3. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Build quality - Just received an edge from DX a week ago. MicroSD does not sit flush.
    UI - copycat of R4, Cyclo. If you like the way these look, you'll like edge.
    Personally, I will use my AK2 more.

4. Wideload
    OP

Newcomer Wideload Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks very much for the quick replies. What does the Edge do that other cards don’t, or what do you feel it does better than other cards?

5. Ahua_Keren

Newcomer Ahua_Keren Member

Indonesia
    Just go buy it and try it yourself, buddy.
    both cart is not too expensive either.

There is no perfect cart for DS, or longest support for DS, meanwhile DSi is crawling out there.
    but at least we can rest assure that both Edge nor Acekard 2 has a great compatibility & update support.

I prefer Edge because it's simple to use. [​IMG]

6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    SDHC support

7. Echo1

Member Echo1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Compared to the R4DS it takes a further three seconds to load up and both my parnter's and my EDGE allows the memory card to fit flushy in both.

8. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

edge also has slow mot. dont think ak has that. id go with edge over acekard anyday