ED64 Cheap Clone some tech questions

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by XpertXP1, Jun 6, 2017.

1. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    I know I know, its a clone, it was cheap, just wanted something to play some basic N64 games.

I opened up the unit and saw areas that additional components can be added. Not sure if i need them as a few of the games I have tested so far work. What would the components be that need to be in those places? Are they necessary?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Hmm, could you maybe share where you got that? I'd like such a cart, but they're all expensive.

3. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    United States
  4. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
  5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Being based off the everdrive v1, U7 is for the cic chip (so you don't need to use a donor cart on top), u6 is some sort of usb controller (pretty sure I've seen comments that the usb port does nothing on the clones), the headers in the top left are for programming/testing I think and aren't populated even on the original carts.

6. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    Oh ok, I guess what I dont understand then is I dont use a donor cartridge on top.......so does mine not need a CIC chip?

7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    After doing a little digging, seems like the clone has recieved some updates.

New one seems to be using an ultracic ii (cic emulator that can switch between pal/ntsc bootrom), just like the everdrive 2.5 and 3 do, instead of having to use a donor cart on top or sacrificing a cic from an original cart. Ultracic ii goes on an ATtiny25, and while I can't see the markings, considering it's the right amount of pins and has a switch connected to it, U8 would likely be it.

I guess the cloners just made some small modifications to the V1 board (adding the switch and ultracic), rather than redo the whole lot.

8. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    In other words, im all set ? LOL