E.T. to leave the Earth

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Snailface, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Snailface
    OP

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    [​IMG]

Not to outer space, mind you, just out of the ground.

Legend has it that in 1983, the highly-anticipated Atari game ET sold so poorly that it reportedly
    had to have its excess stock of 5 million cartridges buried out in the New Mexico desert. This event,
    many video game historians believe, was the catalyst for the video game industry crash of the mid-eighties.

For many years, retro-game buffs have fantasized about the prospect of unearthing these infamous
    cartridges. Now it finally looks as if this out-of-this-world fantasy will get off the ground ...
    [​IMG] Source

Madridi, Hyura, frogboy and 4 others like this.

2. Melchizedek

Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2006
    Canada
    The AVGN will discover the truth in his movie :P

3. mechagouki

mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    I thought this was an urban legend? Nothing about the story makes sense.

4. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    A pity they won't find the games intact :P

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

They produced too many copies of the game, couldn't sell them, and so disposed of them in a hole in the desert. What doesn't make sense about that?

Anyway, they better be careful about opening that thing. Otherwise...

[​IMG]

6. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    WTF is wrong w/ you? Who would want to find a working copy?!? That game was horrible... And causes cancer.

7. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    When I last played E.T. on my Mattel Intellivision around 18 years ago, I could never get him out of the pit that he used to fall into. How ironic.

tatripp likes this.
  8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    recycling, they could have easily made some money back
    not a single piece of evidence exists to support this 30 year urban legend besides some hearsay
    that's why it doesn't make sense

9. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Fuel Industries? Could that be the Ottawa-based video game company (who recently underwent a name change) Fuel Youth Engagement? They probably weren't answering e-mails as of Wednesday because they were tied up in the Ottawa International Game Conference. I'll ask my contacts there.

10. mechagouki

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    I've read interviews with former Atari executives who stated that all that went into the landfill was the unusable equipment/parts from the Atari factory that was being closed due to production being moved abroad to cut costs.

The old BS about them producing 1 million more ET carts than there were VCS machines in existence makes no sense, the company might have been horribly mismanaged at that time, but no game manufacturer produces more games than their known user base can absorb. And as for burying systems alongside the carts - why would they? The VCS continued to be sold in one form or another well into the 1990s, in fact I'm pretty sure you can still buy a version with built in games.

Even if it were true, why bother excavating? Whatever they might find will be essentially worthless. What a waste of money, there are people in North America who can't afford to eat or pay rent, and this is a priority for someone?

11. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    To make what should be a fairly entertaining documentary about the story. It says it right there. They're a film company. They're not just excavating shit for the heck of it. What do you expect an entertainment and film production company to do? Donate their production budget to the poor?

Traversal and Gahars like this.
  12. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd love to have a copy of E.T.
    It's a piece of gaming history.

kehkou, chavosaur and EZ-Megaman like this.
  13. Rizsparky

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Aug 13, 2007
    The Future
    Couldn't they have reused the cartridge shells for other games?

14. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    3 year's ago when I was at my sister's house in Canada, we decided to go to some flea markets, I saw a loose copy of the game. I asked the lady how much she wanted for it, because I wanted to experience how bad the game was myself, without going to emulation, the seller wanted 40 because "it is and old game" I told her the game is not worth $2 and showed her how much it was on ebay. She got mad because she said that she bought the game in a pawn shop for $25 and the pawn shop owner said it was worth over $50.

15. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Ah yes, I heard about this too. 5 million copies, wtf where they thinking.... And just dumping them somewhere, good job! That really solves it

16. mechagouki

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    Yup, a documentary about digging up a landfill full of crap that nobody wanted then and nobody wants now is going to be gripping stuff. Or they could make a useful documentary about the uneven distribution of wealth in the United States and how some people can't afford to go to the Doctor whilst rich spoiled kids fret about the specs of the new Xbox. Coming from the Philippines I would expect you to understand the divide between haves and have-nots.

17. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    WOW, culturally chauvinistic (and condescending...but I repeat myself) much??

Qtis, Rydian, Gahars and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    So at first, I was going to say:

Wait, they're gonna...

Oh... oh my...

But then I read:

I'm sure that these FILM PRODUCERS FROM CANADA are really concerned about the distribution of wealth among THE POOR OF THE UNITED SATES OF AMERICA.

Better yet, let's have them give all of their money to the poor, go into bankruptcy, shut down their production company/studio, and join the ranks of the poor. Then not make a documentary about it because suddenly they can't afford to.

19. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    It was never released for the Intellivison... Serious bonus points to Mattel for not allowing that piece of filth to sully their system, though.

20. Xuphor

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Interesting fact many people don't know: E.T. for Atari actually sold VERY VERY well.
    The problem was that they made about 20x as many copies of the game as people who owned an Atari.

The more you know.