Dynamic Difficulty In video games.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few days ago, i was watching a youtube video about a secret contained in Resident Evil 4. The person explains this as "Dynamic Difficulty" described as auto ajusting the game difficulty based on player skill. For example, games like Mortal kombat had usually reduced difficulty when losing multiple times than increase when winning consecutive times. I notice how the game is easier to win after losing over 100 fights against shao khan on master difficulty, which i didn't wanna have to do, but i did for achievement purposes.

The way it works in Resident evil 4 is based on how well player does, it will alter difficulty on the fly. If you lose a lot and don't do so well, there is less enemies to deal with, they won't notice you so easily and may even react to you at slower pace. There is also more ammunition to find making it easier. If you don't take damage or lose so much, the game is ajusted to be harder. Enemies are more agressive, there is more of them and even more diffficult variety, less bullet ammo to find and more difficult. I only played resident evil 4 out of curiosity of why people hold it to regards the best one of the whole series. I failed to see why, besides the fact that it has better controls compared to first ones like on PSX, i just don't get it. I never felt like wanting to play it again, but this had me thinking about trying it once more. While i still prefer resident evil 5, or 6 over 4, i am by no means the hardcore fan people would think just cause i tried a few of the games.

Here is the video if anyone was curious about it.

After some thought, I think this was a very sneaky but smart idea in my opinion. There is some who may disagree but i think having a ajusting difficulty automatic is clever. The idea of having the game acknowledge that perhaps "This must be too hard, i think he may be stuck, let me ajust that for you, maybe he did good enough now, back to harder mode" Is a sense of having a satisfying playthrough without compromising fustration, and gratification of sucessfulness. Of course is also good if it was a option to have and not part of the game itself, if one feels confident enough not to need such a thing annd just want it hard all the time, it should be selectable. While games like Super smash bros and kid icarus uprising is kinda like this and perhaps forced on the user to some degree, it works different, as you are placing a bet on how well you will do, and receiving larger payout of rewards if sucessful, while losing some if failed. The resident evil 4 thing is more of making the game playable to newcomers and maintain the satisfaction without their knowledge. Ninja gaiden sigma also has the option if you lose 3 or more times on first chapter you can use "Ninja Dog" Difficulty where the game is easier, reducing damage taken, and increase damage given, reduced prices at muramasa store, and ayane giving you more advice and tips along with free rare items.

So i guess now perhaps share your thoughts about this topic, you like the idea of "Dynamic difficulty" Having ajusted game play with your games, should it be least optional? Or just natrually part of the game without user knowledge? What are some games you know behave in such ways compareable to this?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't sure who the previous comment is directed at. I didn't even know about this until the video i saw, and i never played left4dead or elder scrolls. So i wouldn't know what to say about it. :ph34r:

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You picked a zombie game with game adjusted difficulty and did not mention left4dead's "director"?

In the done badly column can I have various elder scrolls. Its scaled enemies do not do well for me.
I agree with the Elder Scrolls games being done poorly because it means I can create a godlike, super strong, high level character, and the enemies for this god character will be just as challenging as enemies for an underleveled, no main skills, terrible character.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i remember correctly, final fantasy VIII also had something like this, where all the enemies were on same level as player was, but i doubt if levels make anyone strong in that game since characters strength is mostly based on the GF used and their junction abilities. :unsure:

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i remember correctly, final fantasy VIII also had something like this, where all the enemies were on same level as player was, but i doubt if levels make anyone strong in that game since characters strength is mostly based on the GF used and their junction abilities. :unsure:
A little off topic, but I've always wanted to enjoy a final fantasy game. However, I'm terrible at RPGs. Pokemon was easy, and fun, and I enjoyed it. But every other RPG I played I was absolutely terrible at. I did manage to beat Final Fantasy 1 with a guide, but my characters were so bad in the end that I only beat the game by spamming Temper and Haste on a Monk.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little off topic, but I've always wanted to enjoy a final fantasy game. However, I'm terrible at RPGs. Pokemon was easy, and fun, and I enjoyed it. But every other RPG I played I was absolutely terrible at. I did manage to beat Final Fantasy 1 with a guide, but my characters were so bad in the end that I only beat the game by spamming Temper and Haste on a Monk.
You should try Final Fantasy Mystic quest if you want a "Easy" Acessable RPG game, Is basically a entry level RPG for beginners, Also chrono trigger is also a good example of a not too hard RPG game, it requires minimal management to actually play it cause of having simple setup of items, equipment and battle controls, You probably enjoy mostly turn based RPG games like pokemon or Dragon quest.

You should also try dragon warriors monsters, Is basically what pokemon is before pokemon was made. :)

Reactions: Boogieboo6

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
again like Fast said you talk about Dynamic difficulty but somehow don't mention L4D2 amazingly (sadistic) A.I Director with the difficulty scaling being a sadism scaling for the Director to fuck with you for shame

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dynamic difficulty, huh? Reminds me of God Hand with its level meter thing. The worse you are at landing hits and evading, the lower the level is (which results in worse rewards, but less and weaker enemies) but the better you play, the more it increases making the game harder by spawning more and stronger enemies. I personally thought it was a nice addition to the game actually

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dynamic difficulty, huh? Reminds me of God Hand with its level meter thing. The worse you are at landing hits and evading, the lower the level is (which results in worse rewards, but less and weaker enemies) but the better you play, the more it increases making the game harder by spawning more and stronger enemies. I personally thought it was a nice addition to the game actually
They also mentioned god's hand in the video :P
Seriously did anyone watch the video at all. :mellow:

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
In the done badly column can I have various elder scrolls. Its scaled enemies do not do well for me.
This is pretty much exactly what put me off about Skyrim when I played it. I hate how the game always scales the difficulty to match your character no matter where you are or what you are doing. Not only is it nonsensical, but it makes it feel like you're never actually accomplishing anything.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty much exactly what put me off about Skyrim when I played it. I hate how the game always scales the difficulty to match your character no matter where you are or what you are doing. Not only is it nonsensical, but it makes it feel like you're never actually accomplishing anything.
so they have a leveling system... and then nullify it by leveling every enemy you encounter accordingly?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This skyrim game everyone is talking about seem like Final Fantasy VIII in some ways, except it still seem hard regardless of the level, So i dunno maybe i am missing something.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A lot of games use more sneaky ways to adjust for difficulty than just a standard "easy/normal/hard" option at the beginning. And if it's done right, it really enhances the gameplay. Last game I played that (I know) had this was epistory...a Zelda-esque game where your attack was typing words. The better you were at typing, the average length of the words you had to type slowly increased. The end result was a game that was a decent skill for me, but pretty likely doable for someone who types with just two fingers.
Same can be said about the different classes in some games. I've heard that the mage class is a lot easier to play with in demon souls 2, to give an example. But I've played other games where playing as a rogue or a cleric is a lot harder, even if you adjust your play style.

In any case...IMHO this option is a good addition for most singleplayer games. Or more the other way around: it doesn't make much sense to ask you whether you want an easy, a normal or a hard game right from the start. If you haven't played the game before, you can't really tell if what developers consider "normal" is actually an average difficulty to you. So these kind of changes based on player patterns do a good deal of easing players of all sorts of skill into actually continuing to play the game without either one giving up because it's either too easy or too hard.

Yeah, I remember that one. If you ask me, that was plain dumb. I remember being stuck somewhere in the middle of the first disc. At first I felt okay, seeing how I had the chance to just hang back, grind a bit, gather some levels and items. Then it started to dawn on me that the entire leveling system was just pointless. Since ALL the enemies level up with you at the exact same pace, they could just as well just play a "congratulations, you leveled up!!!"-message every other fight without changing a damn thing. :angry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom