Homebrew DVD to DPG

DSMASTER17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There most deifantly IS a way to do this.

I know it is possible, but I do not know what software to use for ripping videos out of a DVD you bought.
Try Googling "DVD movie ripper" and that kind of stuff.

After you got the movie file out of the movie, use BatchDPG.

Hope this helps.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Simply, use FairUse Wizard to rip the DVD to a file that SUPER can use for conversion to DPG. Not the best, but the easiest.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I personally prefer to use CloneDVD Mobile (with AnyDVD) to convert the DVD main movie to a DivX file, and then convert it with BatchDPG using two-pass encoding and Spline16 resizing algorithm. The movies are at a respectable quality while being not too big.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to change the general subject, but I've always wanted to know how big the filesize (in megaBYTES) of a DPG is when you convert it all the way down from a DVD. I realize it may differ based on quality and movie length, but I'd appreciate an estimated ballpark figure. Thanks in advance.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:
About 350mb for a 2 hour movie.
Wow! THat's ALOT better than I was expecting it to be (more like ~1GB or larger).

How are the players on the DS with such large video files? Think that it'd be better to break them up into smaller individual files?

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
cutterjohn said:
offtopic84 said:
About 350mb for a 2 hour movie.
Wow! THat's ALOT better than I was expecting it to be (more like ~1GB or larger).

How are the players on the DS with such large video files? Think that it'd be better to break them up into smaller individual files?
The movie play quite well, I don't have any stuttering or anything annoying during playback. If you plan to convert some movies, I'd suggest you to encode your DPG using two-pass to ensure a better overall quality.

Here are my recommended settings for encoding DPG using BatchDPG

Video
Framerate: 15
Profile: High
Bitrate: 256
Max bitrate: 384
Passes: 2
Resizer: Spline16

Audio
Bitrate: 128
Sample Rate: 32768
Mode: Joint Stereo
Normalize: yes

This gives an overall good quality when encoding movies to DPGs. This is a fairly lengthy process, so I burn them on a media for future use, to only have to copy the DPG to my MicroSD card the next times.

Cheesemonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a DVD to DiVX converter off of google. 'tis possible.

I wouldn't use DPG. but DSVideo, but it decides to not work for me so I have to use DPG >:C

The default DPG converter is decent, it converts a 150 mb, 20 minute show to about 50 mb. The sound is good, not perfect, and the artifacting isn't that bad.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Cheesemonkey said:

I wouldn't use DPG. but DSVideo, but it decides to not work for me so I have to use DPG >:C

The default DPG converter is decent, it converts a 150 mb, 20 minute show to about 50 mb. The sound is good, not perfect, and the artifacting isn't that bad.
Is there any reason why you would use DSVideo over Moonshell for video ?

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
richardv said:
To go straight to dpg from a dvd just use DVDFAB. Just one easy step.
I wouldn't recommend DVDFab, as it use the old DPG0 standard that suffer of sound sync problems and is missing the GOP (Group Of Pictures) which allow fast seeking. The current DPG format is DPG3, but DPG2 is much more common as DPG3 only add OggVorbis support, but at a lower sound quality as the OggVorbis format is more CPU intensive.

I'd say use CloneDVDMobile to convert from DVD to DivX, and then use BatchDPG to convert from DivX to DPG.

airpirate545

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wish there was another converter that didnt use every mb of my resources and take an hour to encode 20 minutes of avi
frown.gif
laptops suck

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i use virtual dub (freeware) and the ffdshow codec package (also freeware) to encode .vobs that i rip off dvd to divx or whatever i want. i find that divx to dpg seem to make for a better video with smaller size but has a more lossy format (divx already is lossy). the most recent build of vdub allows you to open and manipulate .vobs directly, older versions require a few steps to convert to an avi header so the app can use it.

there are so many choices you should hit up http://www.videohelp.com and browse the info there.

-another world

SchuchWun

Trophies
Website
videogamehackers.ca
XP
Country
Canada
great thread. I use DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter and SUPER to convert my movies to DPG. So far no problems yet and i've even converted FLV to DPG with no issues. .Even subtitled movies work great! I am a PROstar at the above tools so let me know via PM if you need any help and I'll be glad to be of assistance to you.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cheesemonkey said:

dsvideo looks just terrible compared to a dpg movie. cartoons look alright with it, but anything other than that is just unbearable

using batchdpg is faster, and produces a very watchable vid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=7&pp=8AUB