Hacking DVD Access Library (no modchip required)

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds Good, Cant wait for a DVD Player

*Yes I realize I can go out and buy one dirt cheap, But it would be so cool to have a DVD player on the Wii. personally I think Nintendo should have gone ahead and given it the ability to read DVD's When it came out.
smile.gif

dahun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sstew said:
Sounds Good, Cant wait for a DVD Player

*Yes I realize I can go out and buy one dirt cheap, But it would be so cool to have a DVD player on the Wii. personally I think Nintendo should have gone ahead and given it the ability to read DVD's When it came out.
smile.gif
their saving that 4 an addon

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I just thought of something I've never seen mentioned. There might just be other potential uses for reading burned games, after all.
smile.gif

It could lead to the ability of running Wii mode homebrew from the disc channel. Rather than needing the homebrew channel or other such loader.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
here's what this code is doing (pretty sure gekko OS also do the same):

1) shutdown libogc
2) reload proper game IOS
3) open DVD partition (using the original limited DVD_LowReadUnencrypted)
4) read DVD "header" & initialize the RAM low system area according to the dvd infos
5) read then load DVD main dol into memory then jump to it to launch the game...

now, with the lib, this would possible to do that without a modchip but you're stuck because the game itself use his own library (the default one provided via IPC-IOS) so the big job is still to properly hack IOS...

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
I just thought of something I've never seen mentioned. There might just be other potential uses for reading burned games, after all.
smile.gif

It could lead to the ability of running Wii mode homebrew from the disc channel. Rather than needing the homebrew channel or other such loader.
That would be awesome but...wouldn't you still need the HBC or TWHack to install this?

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, a DVD player for the Wii, wouldn't this lead to loading back-ups w/o a modchip. Probably not, but eventually it might. I hate having to switch the AV cables when I want to watch a DVD, of course I never watch movies downstairs! But still, maybe a nice feature to have.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just had a thought. I understand that it would not be that simple to allow pirated games to be ran by this. However, how does the protection work for the DVD player? I don't support this, but couldn't it allow pirated DVD movies to be ran on it, or would the drive still check to see whether or not it is a burnt disc?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
g4jek8j54 said:
I just had a thought. I understand that it would not be that simple to allow pirated games to be ran by this. However, how does the protection work for the DVD player? I don't support this, but couldn't it allow pirated DVD movies to be ran on it, or would the drive still check to see whether or not it is a burnt disc?

What protection? You're supposed to be able to compile your own video dvds and watch them.

The only real protection on DVD is CSS - which stops you dumping originals... well it's supposed to anyway
tongue.gif

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SenorClean said:
g4jek8j54 said:

What protection? You're supposed to be able to compile your own video dvds and watch them.

The only real protection on DVD is CSS - which stops you dumping originals... well it's supposed to anyway
tongue.gif

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not that familiar with DVDs, and completely forgot about the CSS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-