dummy files?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DarkShinigami, Apr 1, 2011.

Apr 1, 2011

dummy files? by DarkShinigami at 4:06 AM (1,433 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. DarkShinigami
    OP

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    i see many ripped psp isos so my question is is what determines dummy files i know for certain when i go in the iso some files are not gonna say dummy. so what determines a dummy file? for exmple my ff4cc is 500 mb in stead of 800 mb with the dummies deleted so what determines if a file is a dummy file?

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I'm guessing if it's smaller than the original file size, it's gotten rid of the non needed files.

3. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    no what im saying is what determines what files in the iso are dummy files as i would like to rip some games

4. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I truly don't know really. It's probably hard to know as there's probably different files in each game that are dummies.

5. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    maybe i should wait till later to revive this thread as i think xist would know he is a very knowledgeable person with psp and that shit. guess ill go back to playing ff4cc which is awesome by the way just got tellah

6. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    some older games had a file added to make the disk full,
    it was just full of zero's - you could check with a hex editor.

not seen one for a while, probably because the firmware updates are so damned big now.

stuff you can delete.
    dummy files.
    boot.bin
    contents of the update folder.

what really pisses me off are people spreading iso's with game content missing or wrecked.
    example:1
    there is an iso of bounty hounds on a well known download site, about 200meg.
    it should be about 800.
    some fuck deleted most of the movies out of it.

i'v seen this a lot, mostly on the same site.
    any time a download is a cso - it's a bad sign that a lamer has been screwing with the file.

i constantly find games with the wrong version of prometheus in them, or the eboot not version-patched, or the prx's not decrypted where they need to be.

if people dont know how to do this stuff properly, they shouldnt be spreading there crap about just to get there name on a web-page.
    [​IMG]

and today's example - a ripped, cso'd and broken copy of Dragon's Lair is being spread around.
    if you see a Dragon's Lair download that is about 230meg - leave alone & dont waste your time/bandwidth!

7. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    i thiink i know the site is there a dude named john tritor he wrecks music games with his "down-sampling" a rhythm game will play no song so how can you feel he rhythm right.

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    pokefreak steve-p has your answer about dummy files....they're actually common across all formats and many PS2 games had large amounts of padding (one of the Lego Star Wars games had about 3GB iirc which had to be ripped out to get it working on HDL). There's even dummy file creation tools which effectively just make massive empty files which are either full of gibberish or just empty space. For disc loading sometimes they are used to help streamline the data distribution across the surface so it's read better but for ISO files they're pointless.

Also, some games react badly to any removal of files at all, irrespective of making an LBA fix file. It's more or less a try it and see process, which makes doing it yourself from a full file the best choice.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    GUIDE TO DOWNLOADING FULL ISOS:
    1. Download the proper scene release.

Mostly the first few threads that pop up are just re-uploads from usenet.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The firmware update files are a chunk of space, but there's also savings from resampling the music/video to lower bitrates.

11. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    thanks all im gonna take steves answer which you say is it xist

also rydian i hate when isos are downsampled cause either the music dont work or stops very shortly after starting

12. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Frackin' Rock Band Unplugged...

But I do think that the PSP scene has a bad habit of an overabundance of reposted releases with varying degrees of modification, to the point that sometimes it's impossible to find a clean+untouched rip. If I want to compress, downsample, rip, or whatever I'll do it myself.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Thiiiis.

If somebody's in the hacking/modding scene and they want to save some space, they can damn well google a tutorial on csio+.