Duke Nukem Forever

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
GundamXXX said:
This is exactly what Duke is about, shooting aliens and watching naked chicks. Wanting a plot for Duke Nukem is like asking for a WWE Movie with a good subplot that really makes you think about life. Its not going to happen!

Also its an FPS so gameplay isnt that hard to fuck up I reckon... all they need to do is make the controls good, the levels intresting and challenging and the graphics pwn

What Duke is about =/= what we should be seeing after 13 years. Just doesn't feel like it was worth the wait, and I foresee a large fan base being disappointed after waiting so long for a game that 99% of other companies could have pumped out in less than two. If the game is gonna be so simple in nearly every way except maybe the action, it shouldn't have taken so long. Hell, the only reason it probably took so long was the fact that they had to start from the ground up over and over again as the years went by to meet the new graphical standards.

Basically, I see this game having as much depth and playability as any $20 FPS you can pick up for the computer that has aliens in it.

I really hope I'm proven wrong, but with such a close release date and a trailer that gave a pretty good idea of what we would be getting, I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

Well then maybe they shouldn't build up their expectations so damn much and realize that no game would live up to 12 years of hype.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
I watched this trailer earlier before I saw it was posted on here and can only say one thing.

wtf.

I'm not quite sure what to think. The trailer certainly looks interesting, but I don't know if the final product is going to accurately reflect what 12 or 13 years of work should have yielded. I'll see what people around here say when it comes out, what people on other sites I visit say, and what reviews say to see if it is truly worth my time to check out. I suppose after all that time, I expected something a little more than just "I love women and will kill aliens because of it."

I don't see a plot past killing the aliens so they leave Duke's wimminz alone. The gameplay better be damned incredible to supplement such a simplistic plot.

If you're looking for something more than "Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride" you might want to seek something that isn't a Duke Nukem game.

What would you have wanted plot-wise? Something along the lines of Modern Warfare?

Don't answer that; I don't care.

dNGsF.jpg

Suck it down.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
Nathan Drake said:
I watched this trailer earlier before I saw it was posted on here and can only say one thing.

wtf.

I'm not quite sure what to think. The trailer certainly looks interesting, but I don't know if the final product is going to accurately reflect what 12 or 13 years of work should have yielded. I'll see what people around here say when it comes out, what people on other sites I visit say, and what reviews say to see if it is truly worth my time to check out. I suppose after all that time, I expected something a little more than just "I love women and will kill aliens because of it."

I don't see a plot past killing the aliens so they leave Duke's wimminz alone. The gameplay better be damned incredible to supplement such a simplistic plot.

If you're looking for something more than "Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride" you might want to seek something that isn't a Duke Nukem game.

What would you have wanted plot-wise? Something along the lines of Modern Warfare?

Don't answer that; I don't care.

dNGsF.jpg

Suck it down.

Now I dont agree with Law very often but this is EXACTLY right

Want a plot? Wait for Mass Effect 3.
Want ubergfx? Wait for Crysis 2
Want fun shooting shit? Duke is your man

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
@GundamXxX - Exactly my point, it's the fun we all care about and challenge.

@Nathan Drake - You will never get it. Until one of your favorite games put on haitus for more than ten years then you won't get it period! By your logic it sounds like why is it worth to play Halo 1, 2, 3, Wars, and Reach? For the plot you say or fanboyism? Same thing for Mario games, is it for nostalgic purpose or challenging gameplay?

You can't justify nothing of what you're trying to say, you basically looking at the game like you never have played the previous ones (Which I bet you never did,). So EXPLAING it to someone who never played Duke Nukem is like someone explaining to me why Sora is Roxas.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Also keep in mind this is an old trailer as old as September of last year shown to those who attended PAX, they just polished some things like the logo and text. I don't think this fully reflects what the current graphics look like (at least not for PC) so don't be disappointed yet.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
awssk8er said:
Looks better than I expected.

They should delay the game like a month like two days before release. That would piss a lot of people off.

I'm pretty sure Gearbox had to put their balls on the line to convince 2K Games to let them work with Triptych (Who are made up of ex-3D Realms employees) to finish the game. I highly doubt they would delay the release, even as a joke.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awssk8er said:
Looks better than I expected.

They should delay the game like a month like two days before release. That would piss a lot of people off.

Or make the intro sequence have a 12 year delay /sarcasm

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What I'm getting so far: You can keep throwing the same old shit at us without changing a thing over and over and over and over again, and we won't care. We will continue to buy your games regardless of innovation or exploration.

Gaming standards have fallen terribly it seems. If I'm going to play a game that took 13 years to make, it better be the most incredible, mind blowing thrill ride ever to get released. Otherwise the project just should have been canceled completely. I don't even understand why fans would be anticipating this so much. It looks like a bland, repetitive experience. Some games shine from leaning more on the game play than the story, but I better have something better than a plot that a six year old could have created if they want me to keep playing something like a shooter.

I don't care what it is. What worked in 1996 isn't gonna work the same 15 years later.

Without completely falling into fanboy mode or super optimistic "This game is gonna be the best game EVER" mode, how many of you can truly sit here and say that this game will be everything you expected? Unless you had low ass expectations, I don't foresee too many saying yes.

For example: Mario. It started as a very simple side scrolling platforming experience. Look at Super Mario Galaxy now. You're using fucking gravity to shoot yourself around and the fan base has grown.

Not changing a thing isn't a good strategy for me. Ever. Some games butcher the idea of changing it up over time though, and then you end up with FF XIII. It is rare for a series to screw up so badly though.

tl;dr - Non-fanboy isn't impressed by the trailer and more than likely won't be impressed by a game that took 13 years to make that shows the amount of work that ANY other developer could have done in about two.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
What I'm getting so far: You can keep throwing the same old shit at us without changing a thing over and over and over and over again, and we won't care. We will continue to buy your games regardless of innovation or exploration.

Gaming standards have fallen terribly it seems. If I'm going to play a game that took 13 years to make, it better be the most incredible, mind blowing thrill ride ever to get released. Otherwise the project just should have been canceled completely. I don't even understand why fans would be anticipating this so much. It looks like a bland, repetitive experience. Some games shine from leaning more on the game play than the story, but I better have something better than a plot that a six year old could have created if they want me to keep playing something like a shooter.

I don't care what it is. What worked in 1996 isn't gonna work the same 15 years later.

Without completely falling into fanboy mode or super optimistic "This game is gonna be the best game EVER" mode, how many of you can truly sit here and say that this game will be everything you expected? Unless you had low ass expectations, I don't foresee too many saying yes.

For example: Mario. It started as a very simple side scrolling platforming experience. Look at Super Mario Galaxy now. You're using fucking gravity to shoot yourself around and the fan base has grown.

Not changing a thing isn't a good strategy for me. Ever. Some games butcher the idea of changing it up over time though, and then you end up with FF XIII. It is rare for a series to screw up so badly though.

tl;dr - Non-fanboy isn't impressed by the trailer and more than likely won't be impressed by a game that took 13 years to make that shows the amount of work that ANY other developer could have done in about two.
Lol you just dont get it.
I dont know wether its because you are too young and didnt experience The Duke like alot of us did or wether you just cant read what others say

Have you ever played the game Serious Sam? I was released a few years ago and became an instant hit. It was an old-skool FPS about shooting aliens and a plot that I couldve written on a saturday night during a bottle of Jack. But still this game sold so much its not funny. The fanbase was immense! And all it was was a stupid FPS about shooting aliens

Now combine this with the following ingredients; Legacy, Fame, Anticipation, Awesomeness

Thats Duke Nukem Forever

Is this a linear FPS with a plot that could fit on a beercoaster? Yes
But the people that have been waiting for 13 years would be pissed off it it wasnt

Weve been waiting 13 years to play as the Duke, not to see where to story went (although I do wonder how funny its going to be
tongue.gif
)
Its not going to be the best game ever, it wont be the best game of 2011... it might be the best game in May 2011 but thats about it! And everyone knows it. Nobodys buying the game because its going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Us older generation will buy it for the reason that... well weve been waiting for fking 13 years lol we have a right. The younger people will buy it because they've heard so much about it, like a ghost

tl;dr Dont expect Mass Effect qualities. Nobody ever did. The King pwns and hence we play

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Nathan Drake, you're either trolling or you only enjoy really shitty games.

I bet you didn't like Painkiller or God Hand (neither would have had enough of a "sophisticated" plot for you)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

You know it's probably not the same game from 1996. Gearbox wasn't even around back then, they started in 1999.

Odds are whatever was developed back then was mostly edited or scrapped by Gearbox. I mean I'm not looking forward to the game myself but I can even acknowledge that it won't be "Duke Nukem 3D 2".

And you seriously lack comprehension of storylines. Duke Nukem isn't meant to be deep or complex. I see you reference Mario but don't complain about its nonexistent plot. It's a game that's is plot light intentionally.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Whatever this game looks like it's gonna be awesome either way (well as long as it's not like an MS Paint drawing done by a 5 year old, nah mean?). And as I said before this trailer is months old but has only just been released to the public. They just tweaked the DNF logo, some text, and the Duke Nukem model. You can tell there is a mix of old and somewhat more recent footage. We will get a brand new trailer not long before release and a demo as well so chill.

ArchyTaichou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like a game that should have been released a loooong ass time ago.
I predict that it's not gonna reach the expectations.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Nathan Drake said:

You know it's probably not the same game from 1996. Gearbox wasn't even around back then, they started in 1999.

Odds are whatever was developed back then was mostly edited or scrapped by Gearbox. I mean I'm not looking forward to the game myself but I can even acknowledge that it won't be "Duke Nukem 3D 2".

I'm pretty sure the game is still 80 - 90% 3DRealms. Gearbox and Triptych are just polishing it.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This trailer is great. I honestly had no interest in it before, and though I am not going to go out and get it day 1, it is certainly going to be on my radar from now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...