Cancelled 2D side-scroller Duke Nukem Forever 1996 build leaked online

20221226_103354.png

Duke Nukem content is on a roll these holidays, and today comes yet another leaked build of a previously unreleased and cancelled game in the franchise, this time in the form of side-scrolling 2D version of Duke Nukem Forever planned back in 1996.

The leak contains the game's original files, alongside a level editor and some patched versions that are preconfigured to work with DosBox Staging.

:arrow: Source

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never cared for the side-scrolling Duke Nukem of the early days since it came off as kiddish w/ its style/design, but I didn't start getting into the franchise until Duke Nukem became 3D/64. Will def have to recover my already configured Dos Box setup from the archives so I can fire up this prototype.

Reactions: SylverReZ

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the old days when the same game, at least in name, could be drastically different based on the device it was played on
I always really liked this. Sure back in the day, it was typically pretty easy to determine which was the best release, but now with all the time between us and then, it's pretty cool that we can look at a fair amount of games that had both very different 3D and 2D releases on the same day, sometimes with even very different games despite being sharing being 2D or 3D.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't this the game that was re-skinned as Alien Rampage? LGR did a whole video on it.

It's available on Steam and you can occasionally buy it for practically nothing.
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/alienrampage/info/

So, the big question is: just how far is this leaked game from Alien Rampage? And if Alien Rampage is closer to a finished project, can it be re-skinned with bits from this leak?

Reactions: Avalyn and Rahkeesh

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Isn't this the game that was re-skinned as Alien Rampage? LGR did a whole video on it.

It's available on Steam and you can occasionally buy it for practically nothing.
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/alienrampage/info/

So, the big question is: just how far is this leaked game from Alien Rampage? And if Alien Rampage is closer to a finished project, can it be re-skinned with bits from this leak?

It was definitely! I just tried the leaked DnF96 files, it's not very playable - but hopefully someone can make a restoration project from it.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that this year not only did we get a 2001 build of Duke Nukem Forever that people thought they were never going to see, but a 1996 build from when the game was planned to be a Duke Nukem I & II successor instead of a Duke Nukem 3D sequel, AND also a build of an unrelated and never released Duke Nukem game, is fucking mindboggling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters