Hardware Dual mSDHC cards in PSP... which class is sufficient?

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I see some good deals on 2*16GB Class 4 cards, but those have read speed of 4MB/s compared to the highest Class 10 (10MB/s). Will it be enough for lag free gaming, and is there any point in getting the fastest cards or is the loading speed limited by the PSP itself?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no point in getting faster card if you plan to use microSD to MS Duo adapter. The adapter itself will slow down read/write speed.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
k, I see some Pro Duos that claim 30MB/s constant read, but can the PSP really take advantage of that? I assume when playing a game most reads are random, not constant. Can't seem to find any loading benchmarks taken directly from the PSP

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
k, I see some Pro Duos that claim 30MB/s constant read, but can the PSP really take advantage of that? I assume when playing a game most reads are random, not constant. Can't seem to find any loading benchmarks taken directly from the PSP
PSP can take advantage of that if and only if it is the real MSPD card. When you use the adapter, it has to translate MSPD signal into SD signal back and forward. Given that Photofast no longer produces the real CR-5400 every CR-5400 you buy now is counterfeit (fake). These fakes have their quality all over the places. Some works fine, some works slow, some doesn't work. In my case one burnt my microSD card while the other one had slot 2 non-working.

The reason I say it will slow down is because of the signal conversion (slows down speed and adds latency).

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I had one of those adapters (probably a fake) and it was crap. Issues. Slow. Wasted money. As said by trumpet-205, the adapter itself is a bottleneck, no point in spending money on faster micro SDs.

Just buy an original MSHX8, MSHX16 or MSHX32 from a reliable shop while they're still around.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I see some good deals on 2*16GB Class 4 cards, but those have read speed of 4MB/s compared to the highest Class 10 (10MB/s). Will it be enough for lag free gaming, and is there any point in getting the fastest cards or is the loading speed limited by the PSP itself?
I read something a while back about the PSP artificially slowing down the read speed. I don't know if this still holds true but if so then it wouldn't matter.
Also, class 4 cards can have a much faster read speed than 4MB/s (and typically do) as that's only a minimum. Kingston cards for example had a 14MB/s (or so) read speed when I benchmarked them, and 7MB/s write, meaning they could technically be rated as a class 6.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I have seen that things load faster in general with a MicroSD Adaptor and even a Class 4 MicroSDHC inside - faster than the official Memory Stick.

I have an official 256MB stick and an adaptor with an 8GB in one of the 2 slots on it. I might record a video if you wanted, with a small game on the stick..

I gave an adaptor to a friend who was playing monster hunter, who said it is much faster and cheaper considering.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I have seen that things load faster in general with a MicroSD Adaptor and even a Class 4 MicroSDHC inside - faster than the official Memory Stick.

No. I can state first hand that that isn't the case.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
My friend maybe 3 years back was playing Monster Hunter on his PSP. I gave him an adaptor and he said it was much faster.
I have also seen better speeds from the MicroSD Adaptor too when playing games, for loading and the general speed of the game.

It is the PhotoFast CR-5400 MS Pro Duo Dual Slot Adaptor.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
My friend had like a 4GB Pro Duo 3 years ago playing monster hunter, and when I gave him the CR-5400 he said it was quite faster.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
My friend had like a 4GB Pro Duo 3 years ago playing monster hunter, and when I gave him the CR-5400 he said it was quite faster.
It was probably a fake or low-quality stick in the first place. We see them all the time, in fact memory stick speed is so important for the PSP that it itself contains a built-in check for fake sticks (press triangle highlighting the stick, go to properties, see what Magic Gate says, "unknown" means it's not a real stick or is damaged), and even with real sticks there's such high speed differences between low-quality and high quality there there were at least two PSP homebrews made to test the speed (PSXreality is the only one I can remember the name of right now).

Yes, an adapter can be faster than a crappy stick, but still not as fast as a good stick, and adapters are known to cause all sorts of issues with hacking and homebrew (like they can't have the pre-IPL inserted for pandora, etc.)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Official sticks can also be older and slower, which is why the benchmark programs were made. I had two official sticks where one was twice as fast as the other before. You'll also note that the official sticks even come in different models with different speed ratings.

Normal...
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-8GB-Memory-Stick-Pro/dp/B000UZH7P6/

Mark 2...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-Stick-ProDuo-MSMT4G/dp/B0013AX2JM/

HX...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRO-HG-Memory-Stick-MSHX8B/dp/B003F8UWUM/

etc.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
different case for me, I had dual slot adapter with 64GBx2 SDXC UHS Class 6 and tested it in both from card reader on my VAIO laptop and PSP took 17mbps read speed and 6.8mbps write speed, I also tested a 8gb class 10 SDHC card and do the test, and I can confirm that the adapter can do as fast as the card capable read/write speed in my case 25mbps read and 10.2mbps write.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast