Hacking DSTWO PLUS will be released in October

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card is a serious competitor to Gateway considering it costs $53 instead of $72.

gtfo here....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's the thing... The only reason it's at all risky is because of Gateway's brick code and their willingness to destroy 3DS systems of people who buy cheaper cards. I have a Gateway and love it. That being said, that's an extremely shitty thing of them to do.

I'm starting to think that the safest thing to do would be to get a DSTwo Plus for DS, GBA, and SNES and then use CFW for 3DS. This way there's no chance of you getting bricked because Gateway can't handle the free market.

But we need you to review too!!! I understand that this was not something GW wanted, it is expected though. If Gw plans on implementing any brick code they better be ready. I understand the need to keep are firmwares compatible with there cards only but this is the backup scene, this isn't some corporate, IT fortune 500 company they are running.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
But we need you to review too!!! I understand that this was not something GW wanted, it is expected though. If Gw plans on implementing any brick code they better be ready. I understand the need to keep are firmwares compatible with there cards only but this is the backup scene, this isn't some corporate, IT fortune 500 company they are running.
Oh yeah, obviously I'll review it as best as I can. Like I said, I'll just be using an o3DS instead of the new one. But I wanna be objective and say what I think is best for the 'temp. Last thing I want to do is say that everything is perfectly fine and then people start getting bricks. Who knows, maybe it'll be perfectly fine. I'm just thinking that the SAFEST thing to do (assuming you don't own a Gateway) would be to use the DStwo Plus for DS,GBA,SNES and CFW for 3DS. Since you need it to be on 9.2 to use it anyway.

And yeah, Gateway has the RIGHT to use the brick code, it's just a pretty unethical way to keep their prices up and discourage competition. That said it's also a piracy device so we can probably toss most ethics out the window ;).

jkammueller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not just the MSET downgrade... you need to install the GW NVRAM hack as well. Go ahead and format your sysnand and try installing the DS exploit and running it. It won't work (until you install NVRAM again).

Was going to thank you, but now I'm pissed off that I already ordered from here. I should have read the entire thread first. And the forms and the receipt I got look shady as sh*t. They have an AMEX logo, but the form doesn't work without exactly 16 numbers. The phone number on the receipt is CHINESE.

AFAIK, original DStwo production stopped long ago. Maybe... but why would you want old crap? This new GBA emulation they're talking about sold me on this. If it runs Golden Sun perfectly, then it's already way better than DStwo (which I own anyway).

.CIA has nothing to do with emunand. You only need signature checks patched out and a way to launch it. Any system that can launch the 1.1 Homebrew Launcher can already do this.

This. But how to switch? If it's software, then it's run in DS mode, guaranteed, which would make activating GW mode kind of a pain (profile exploit will get reset every time you insert the DStwo+)

Read my reply above. 3DS mode only works on systems that you can install a .CIA on anyway. What don't you people understand?

Damn it. I so wish I saw this first. I paid $60 from that other link, and the receipt says it may differ a bit depending on exchange rate. The page says shipped from USA, but it sems like the business is in China! The only bit of assurance I have is that when I first visited the page, it said it has 18 in stock. After ordering, it now says 17.

Yeah, pre ordered a dstwo+ and ordered an original dstwo for my ds just last week on modchipsdirect.com and the dstwo is shipping to me as we speak. Thought u all would like to know.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There's nothing it can do that CFW can't so I'm not planning on buying either.

True but Gateway is working on new features, one of the big ones everyone's waiting is 9.5+ emuNAND. While DSTWO+ is just waiting for Gateway to do all the work.

So I'm guessing Gateway will not release anything big until they find a way to deal with DSTWO+, so all those expecting new emuNAND, you can forget about it until Brickway 2.0 on DSTWO+.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha! If you say the Dstwo plus does nothing a CFW can't do, then you've never had the pleasure of using the original DStwo. Granted, these are for DS mode things, but it already has a cheat system, it has savestates, it has its own CPU that has been used for acceleration in homebrew (thus the BEST NES/SNES/etc. emulators you can get on a DS, and now with the plus, they have even better emulators? Perfect Golden Sun emulation? Hellz yea! Don't forget moonshell and everything it can do...

As far as what a Gateway can do (until cheats come out)? Well, you don't actually have to install the games to play them (unless the game relies on online play, then you need to inject a private header), and you don't need any extra software to transfer saves from one system to the other. The saves can be directly copied and pasted. You still need FreeMultiPatcher for eshop, but at least you DON'T need BootNTR for out of region DLC to work.

Reactions: cvskid

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yeah, Gateway has the RIGHT to use the brick code, it's just a pretty unethical way to keep their prices up and discourage competition. That said it's also a piracy device so we can probably toss most ethics out the window ;).

The only reason I partially agree with this is that Supercard is bringing their own features with it like combining both cards and the use of the emulators. But if they are just cloning gateway for the 3DS features than it is the fault of Supercard or any other competitor if it triggers a brick. I won't blame gateway if that happens as its their time and money that the other companies are profiting from it.

The only driving force I see in the piracy market before custom firmwares evolved was the sky team. Sky was making the market competitive for gateway. Clones and those using gateway code might have delayed some things as maybe they were trying too hard to block the clones instead of working on the features.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
This. But how to switch? If it's software, then it's run in DS mode, guaranteed, which would make activating GW mode kind of a pain (profile exploit will get reset every time you insert the DStwo+)
I dunno how DSTwo+ will switch between DS and 3DS modes, but the profile will reset only if you actually launch a DS mode program, simply inserting the card won't do a thing.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno how DSTwo+ will switch between DS and 3DS modes, but the profile will reset only if you actually launch a DS mode program, simply inserting the card won't do a thing.

Video here -

Looks like it uses the DS profile exploit. However what is strange is the Firmware version number. Supposedly is will work up to 9.2 but the video only shows 4.5

Reactions: cvskid

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No one will really know how it works till someone does a review. From what I see though wouldn't you have to launch it to run the plugin for gateway mode? Just gotta wait I guess to find out.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gateway has the RIGHT to prevent others from using their software, bricking is just a pretty unethical way to keep their prices up and discourage competition. That said it's also a piracy device so we can probably toss most ethics out the window ;).
There, i corrected that for you...but i won't get into the bricking discussion again so i will leave it at this.

Reactions: Zidapi

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Video here -

Looks like it uses the DS profile exploit. However what is strange is the Firmware version number. Supposedly is will work up to 9.2 but the video only shows 4.5

Didn't had seen this video before, thanks for linking it.

No one will really know how it works till someone does a review. From what I see though wouldn't you have to launch it to run the plugin for gateway mode? Just gotta wait I guess to find out.
From what was shown it simply installs a DS Profile entry point and launch the GW mode directly, so probably there is no action required from the user to switch modes. In unpatched system it will show as a DSTwo, on GW patched system mode it will use the DSTwo+ as a GW Card, probably due to how the GW's launcher checks the hardware when launching.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Genuinely asking here... Do you think that Gateway won't brick systems that they detect are using the DStwo Plus? Haven't they done this in the past?

You can bet your ass they will, but this time they will probably leave a notice or something or even a warning on their newest release.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
holy shit the copy cat is strong with this one....Gateway won't stand for this. Granted Gateway has made away with some of smea's work, they were they first to release a flashcart. I mean for christ's sake they didn't even make their own launcher.dat or change the GUI. It's stolen Gateway exploit code. They literally changed nothing. I would have been more forgiving if they changed SOMETHING. This is what the R4 clones did to the R4 brand. But R4 was cheaper to make. So at least we won't see as many shitty 3DS cart clones....yet...at least Sky3DS was different

Gateway doesn't need to brick. That's just a fucking dick move for those who are unaware and are trying to save money with a cheaper imitator. Just don't allow Gateway mode to run. Block it from launching via Gateway mode. Have a simple message right after you launch the DS Profile Exploit. Formatting EMUNAND, backup and restore game and save tools etc would still work...

Code:
UNOFFICIAL GATEWAY HARDWARE DETECTED! Don't Support the Imitators! Support the ORIGINAL 3DS Flashcart. It will still run but some Gateway features have been disabled

This message will close in 10 seconds....

ugh, all this is going to do is delay newest N3DS EMUNAND and cheat support because gateway are now going to be busy coding copy-cat blocking for the launcher.dat

Holy shit, I remember when Team Supercard were the innovators with the DSTWO and how every DS flashcart maker was trying to emulate the superior Anti-piracy killing technology and how devised a reader to actually update their cart via computer instead of exploitable system. I remember when the Supercard SD with DSKEY were the winning combination. How the mighty have fallen

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Holy shit, I remember when Team Supercard were the innovators with the DSTWO and how every DS flashcart maker was trying to emulate the superior Anti-piracy killing technology and how devised a reader to actually update their cart via computer instead of exploitable system. I remember when the Supercard SD with DSKEY were the winning combination. How the mighty have fallen
Agreed, it's incredibly disappointing.

This isn't competition. It's a desperate money grabbing attempt by the SuperCard Team as they try to stay relevant in the 3DS market, where they clearly have nothing new to bring to the table. They're using their (previously excellent) reputation to sell, what is essentially, a clone cart to ignorant consumers.

I know the issue of brick code is a decisive one, but I'd support the use of such measures in situations like this.

There's better ways to handle it though. I'd have the Gateway launcher create a backup the user's NAND to the 3DS's SD before bricking. That way the SuperCard Team's reputation takes the beating it deserves, and it's customers can still have their devices restored to a usable state.

Full Disclosure: I own both a Gateway AND a DSTWO, neither of which I'm using these days. I'm especially happy to be free of Gateway's DRM dongle. So inb4 some moron accuses me of being a Gateway shill or illuminati.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I have not followed this thread for a while and only skimmed the last few pages as of typing this. I said what there was to say in the original gateway bricking threads ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-can-anyone-be-okay-with-gateways-behavior.360627/page-12#post-4886557 ) and things have not changed since (I consider gateway's actions there, which is to say deliberate and malicious bricking of consoles, to be horribly unjustified and those of either a complete moron or a complete cunt), though we have since had a more mainstream example of the concept

I can not say I have a problem with supercard borrowing code/exploits, hopefully they still have coders on the team and can work it up into a better form. Gateway are owed nothing, even without their previous actions looming large. Historically clone companies have not been the best and thus clone company is a byword for not good/long term but I can stretch to giving supercard the benefit of the doubt here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro