Hacking DSTWO PLUS will be released in October

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your Nintendo 3DS System, will render the system permanently unplayable."
You can't say they didn't warn you.

Also
"You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, tamper with, or circumvent any of the functions or protections of your Nintendo 3DS, unless otherwise permitted by law."
Legal homebrew confirmed.

Source: 3DS EULA, Section 1 http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp

I mean GW and Nintendo/Sony are 2 different groups, one makes console gaming/media corp and the other just tries to utilize the hardware in a manner that is deamed illegal. The illegal part can vary by country, but to most its illegal.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh Gateway doesn't need to brick. I don't think that's right. That's a major dick move. They can use the same detection technology to discover clones to block them with a message....it would be like you boot to gateway launcher.dat without the red card...like how it tells you "some features may not work"

Just block it in general would be ok....like that
I mean GW and Nintendo/Sony are 2 different groups, one makes console gaming/media corp and the other just tries to utilize the hardware in a manner that is deamed illegal. The illegal part can vary by country, but to most its illegal.

I know they are different and that was not my point. My problem GW putting in code that was made to brick 3Ds if you use a clone cart. I would be fine with it if they just blocked it agro gave some kind of error.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just block it in general would be ok....like that

I know they are different and that was not my point. My problem GW putting in code that was made to brick 3Ds if you use a clone cart. I would be fine with it if they just blocked it agro gave some kind of error.

Got it, yeah I'd rather brick the card, not the damn console.ooh that would hurt the person who was dumb enough to even attempt to load a GW firmware on the dstwo plus.

Reactions: Zidapi

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Okay, probably stupid question here.
What are the real benefits of the DSTWO PLUS over the regular DSTWO?
I went to their site and they mention it's got a faster processor than the original card, but the emulators seem to be the same. Also when it comes to Gateway emulation they only seem to mention a 'plug-in', does this mean that plug-in would be usable on the plain old DSTWO? One would think the original DSTWO would lack the necessary hardware to emulate Gateway but I'm no expert so I thought I'd ask.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, probably stupid question here.
What are the real benefits of the DSTWO PLUS over the regular DSTWO?
I went to their site and they mention it's got a faster processor than the original card, but the emulators seem to be the same. Also when it comes to Gateway emulation they only seem to mention a 'plug-in', does this mean that plug-in would be usable on the plain old DSTWO? One would think the original DSTWO would lack the necessary hardware to emulate Gateway but I'm no expert so I thought I'd ask.

i was reading in the chinese forum that the processor was never updated, its the same thing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of these things seem to be pending actually getting hands on one. From what I have read and otherwise know about the DS side of things

Plugin usable on the DSTwo... tough call if we are talking theoretical hardware capability -- when all is said and done the gateway 3ds card (I forget the colours but the one that actually does the deal) I believe is actually a DS cart in all but name (as in it speaks DS cart protocol rather than 3ds) and the hacks then rewrite the 3ds firmware to handle it. As it could be an excuse to sell more cards (see also all those cards that needed a hardware update to support SDHC back on the DS) then no, no it probably will not see a backport to the DStwo.

A faster CPU could mean more capability for emulators -- the hardware is very similar to a dingoo I think it was so look at what they can do and then look at what the DSTwo can do, a faster cpu could then make for the abilities of the DSTwo+ to be closer to the dingoo. At the risk of being quoted and questioned a whole bunch of times it might mean readily playable PS1 emulation is a thing (it already exists but is just that little bit too slow for action games, turn based puzzle games are pretty playable). In reality I would not be surprised to hear the DSTwo CPU chips are now harder to come by and the higher clocked stuff is cheaper/more readily available and thus this is just marketing fluff.

In reality this is the first of the big DS flash cart makers (one that was even around for the tail end of the GBA) to throw their hat into the 3ds ring. 3ds hacking is pretty sorry for itself (no more than the 3ds game library but I will save that one for another thread) and they have a proven track record of being able to do things and do things well. This possibility of a capable team is probably the bigger draw for this.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Bricking the SuperCard itself is a great idea, better than bricking the 3DS.
Them bricking anything is a scummy move. Blocking, sure go ahead. So it'll never be able to use the rest of Gateway's features. But really, Gateway needs to worry much more about custom firmware than it does clone carts.

Alberto2345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would agree on the bricking of the card itself. At least then, the person who buys it could take it back to where ever they bought it from and ask for either a different card or a refund, instead of the console itself.
Even if it just rendered the thing useless and had a notice that came on the screen to say that the card is fake/clone of Gateway and to purchase a Gateway card if you want to continue use of the features.
Not sure if that's possible since I'm not a 3DS flash cart hacker, but if it is, I think thats the best route to take.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to FAST6191, i think one of the main problems with emulators on the DSTWO was that the DS cartridge reader was a major bottle neck for the processor. If they can get it to allow information to flow faster on the 3DS, then that would be a big help

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Them bricking anything is a scummy move. Blocking, sure go ahead. So it'll never be able to use the rest of Gateway's features. But really, Gateway needs to worry much more about custom firmware than it does clone carts.
I would agree on the bricking of the card itself. At least then, the person who buys it could take it back to where ever they bought it from and ask for either a different card or a refund, instead of the console itself.
Even if it just rendered the thing useless and had a notice that came on the screen to say that the card is fake/clone of Gateway and to purchase a Gateway card if you want to continue use of the features.
Not sure if that's possible since I'm not a 3DS flash cart hacker, but if it is, I think thats the best route to take.
Deliberately bricking anything is always a bad route to take, though bricking the console was the worst possible option.
truth is they tried the "blocking" route with R$ and 3dslink and co. and sure it worked.....for about 3 weeks before the clone teams figured it out how to bypass the blocks.......no matter how shitty bricking anything is gateway knew what they were doing, they want to discourage people from even trying the clones, and the best way to do that is to threaten end users with financial loss as people generally buying clones are worried about loosing money, if a $10 saving is important to them a potential $100 loss is likely to sway them in the opposite direction

as for CFW's well unless CFW devs get sloppy and copy code directly rather than just specific parts/methods there's not much gateway can do about CFW's

tbh i doubt gateway are going to be too bothered at this point i imagine with the CFW's about they will be winding down operations with the 3DS and looking for some new income source

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Deliberately bricking anything is always a bad route to take, though bricking the console was the worst possible option.
You can say that, but it did exactly the job it was supposed to do. It destroyed the reputation of the clone companies, and put them out of business.

Fast forward 22+ months, and the negative impact it has had on Gateway's reputation and bottom line is negligible.

But the fact is, it's difficult to have a serious discussion about morality and ethics when we're talking about companies that profit from piracy.

I hope you two can leave your high horses at home and deliver unbiased, objective reviews on the DSTWO+.

Last edited by Zidapi,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You can say that, but it did exactly the job it was supposed to do. It destroyed the reputation of the clone companies, and put them out of business.

Fast forward 22+ months, and the negative impact it has had on Gateway's reputation and bottom line is negligible.

But the fact is, it's difficult to have a serious discussion about morality when we're talking about companies that profit from piracy.

I hope you two can leave your high horses at home and deliver unbiased, objective reviews on the DSTWO+.
truth is i have unbricked more consoles bricked from people messing up with CFW's than i ever did from gateway related bricks it delivered the message GW wanted (i.e we mean business ) and in reality the actual end user damage was relatively small and it pretty much buried the clones and the people who were bigging the clone teams up and as for this comment
they have a proven track record of being able to do things and do things well. This possibility of a capable team is probably the bigger draw for this.
this move imho ruined whatever credibility Supercard had for being capable devs, now they are just the same as any other cheap clone company but with a fancy NDS card, this just suggests that they can't even do there own work any more

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

But the fact is, it's difficult to have a serious discussion about morality and ethics when we're talking about companies that profit from piracy.

I do not know if it has been negligible, I always saw it as "they are a bunch of bastards but you have few other choices", had there been another company making a good flash cart during this I imagine it would have been great for them.

Serious discussion, harder perhaps but still more than doable for me (I already linked the FTDI stuff as it is a pretty good parallel from general electronics -- http://www.eevblog.com/2014/10/27/eevblog-676-rant-ftdi-bricking-counterfeit-chips/ ). I find it no different than reviewing a media player like XBMC or something when I know the vast vast majority of users will be firing scene or p2p emulating the scene video through it.

No deliberate bricks is a positive should I review it and a continuing stain on gateway's reputation, that said I would have no problem running through the list of latest games, known troublesome games, potentially troublesome aspects of flash cart ownership and saying yes, no or yes but you are going to have fix it yourself and here is how, like has been done for years.

this move imho ruined whatever credibility Supercard had for being capable devs, now they are just the same as any other cheap clone company but with a fancy NDS card, this just suggests that they can't even do there own work any more

I disagree. I have no problem with cloning, borrowing or using something as a springboard (I do it all the time in real life, or at least it is my favourite aspect of what I do). Most companies that have gone whole hog into it in flash carts have been incapable of doing much (mainly as it is a lot of continuous work for a small one time payment, seldom a great model in business). On the flip side many of the bigger companies borrowed directly from AKAIO and related projects basically all the time (it was always fun watching the changelogs and how nicely they matched up, especially when AKAIO missed or "missed" an obfuscated check/late game loaded overlay or something).

Reactions: Ericzander

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I disagree. I have no problem with cloning, borrowing or using something as a springboard (I do it all the time in real life, or at least it is my favourite aspect of what I do). Most companies that have gone whole hog into it in flash carts have been incapable of doing much (mainly as it is a lot of continuous work for a small one time payment, seldom a great model in business). On the flip side many of the bigger companies borrowed directly from AKAIO and related projects basically all the time (it was always fun watching the changelogs and how nicely they matched up, especially when AKAIO missed or "missed" an obfuscated check/late game loaded overlay or something).
I don't know if they directly copied me.... I don't think they did... it just happened that everything missed a few late game only checks.... we don't play through the entire game (screw that).

Reactions: Syphurith

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might be misremembering and/or condensing a few things. If you are thinking about the COP the recruit stuff (which probably was the main example of late game obfuscation) then that was something different. However you and smiths would occasionally share some choice IP logs from the CMS, I believe once you all fixed something in a slightly odd way where you otherwise normally would have just done a few nops and it turned up in that form elsewhere and with all the other soft indicators...
Most would get to and do their own stuff but there were occasions.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds is different from the DS days, so it got challenging. SuperCard probably didn't have anyone in the team to look into the 3ds dev, and continue providing support for yrs to come. I guess thats whey they said they really needed to be in the 3ds scene, found a way to reverse GW's work, found a way to make an all in 1 card to work and deployed. If they are able to reverse GW's firmware than I think they might be able to hang in for a while until GW finds a way to lock DSTWO+ out of there work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Large creep