Hacking DsTwo or r4i gold? (Former Acekard 2i user)

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I used to have a DSi on 1.4u with my Acekard 2i so that I could play my ROMs that I purchased and dumped, use a bit of action replay cheats, and run some moonshell and homebrew every now and then. However my DSi broke sometime in late 2010 and I only recently decided to replace my DSi with a new one, I found out this DSi has 1.4.5J on it making this Acekard utterly useless. From the looks of it, the acekard team won't be releasing a patch for it anytime soon. So I've decided to get a new Flashcart and I'm debating between r4i Gold 3ds and the SuperCard DStwo. Which one is more resistant to DSi updates? I want this new flashcart to last as long as possible before nintendo permanently blocks the flashcart. Also, how is the battery life with the DStwo? I've done some research and it seems to be mixed, some are reporting 50% of their battery life has been shaved off due to the DStwo cart while some are reporting just a few minutes of game time had been trimmed off. Finally, does the r4i gold and the DsTwo both have the exact same kind of features the Acekard 2i offers? (Action replay cheats, moonshell video, running nds homebrew, soft reset, wifi updates, etc.). Price isn't an issue for me, but I am mainly looking for nintendo update resistance and the features the acekard 2i has (more features are better though).

TL;DR: I want a new cart because ak2i is dead, r4i gold or DsTwo?

Oh and just want to make sure, flashcarts work fine on a japanese imported dsi right? Thanks everyone!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo is the most update-resistent. It's the only cart that still works that has never required a new hardware model for an update. Ever.

... but at this point we doubt the DSi will be updated again.

Battery life with the DSTwo depends on what you're doing with it. Normal things are fine, but using it's special homebrew (SNES/GBA emulators, other DSTwo-specific stuff) is a bigger drain.

All modern flash carts offer everything the AK2i did (and more).

And yes, DS-mode flash carts are region-free.

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo is the most update-resistent. It's the only cart that still works that has never required a new hardware model for an update. Ever.

... but at this point we doubt the DSi will be updated again.

Battery life with the DSTwo depends on what you're doing with it. Normal things are fine, but using it's special homebrew (SNES/GBA emulators, other DSTwo-specific stuff) is a bigger drain.

All modern flash carts offer everything the AK2i did (and more).

And yes, DS-mode flash carts are region-free.

Thanks for the info! I've decided to get the DSTwo just in case I ever want to upgrade to a 3ds in the future :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: