Hacking DSTWO + EZFlash 3in1 w/ GBA EXPLoader forces bottom screen?

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm currently trying to run GBA games off of my EZ Flash 3in1 using GBA EXPLoader on my DSTWO.
I'm running the latest (0.58b0MX) and no matter what I do (run from PSRAM or NOR), the game runs on my bottom screen despite my DS Lite's settings being the top screen.

When launching the 3in1 from the DS Lite's home menu, it runs on the top screen just fine. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by SonicRings,

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check the settings in the NDS/GBA settings. It should be an option to pick which screen your loading your GBA setting from. If not there, check the other global settings.
Can you tell me where exactly I can get to those settings? I don't see any settings in GBA Exploader on my DS and the .ini file on my microSD only has default directories for savs and roms.
My DS's GBA setting is already set to top screen as I stated and launching the 3in1 directly from the DS menu runs on the top screen just fine.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you have the temp GBA emulator or the older gba emulator with the screen option, check the Video & audio settings, if the Game screen setting is not on Lower screen like below

401006-IMG_150386b.JPG

If you got flashme installed, it might be causing issues. If not you can probably ignore flashme as a cause.

GBA Exploader uses the settings of the NDS/L to display the GBA screen.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have the temp GBA emulator or the older gba emulator with the screen option, check the Video & audio settings, if the Game screen setting is not on Lower screen like below

401006-IMG_150386b.JPG

If you got flashme installed, it might be causing issues. If not you can probably ignore flashme as a cause.

GBA Exploader uses the settings of the NDS/L to display the GBA screen.
I'm running the game on my EZ Flash V 3in1 loaded in slot 2. I'm using GBA Exploader, not the GBA Emulators on the DSTWO. I don't know what flashme is so I probably don't have it installed.

When loading any game from within GBA Exploader, the DS starts the GBA game on my bottom screen. My NDSL's setting is set to display the GBA on the top screen.

I can't for the life of me get GBA games to run off of my EZ Flash slot 2 card unless I write it to NOR and then restart the DS and launch the GBA game on the DS's main menu.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The emulators shouldn't effect the screen output.

You can always try a clean install of the _dstwo folder. Recommend you backup your folder before doing that.
Huh, what would that do? I've actually tried this on two different DSTWO cards (one of the OG ones with an older firmware, and one of the new DSTWO+ ones that were labelled as DSTWO and sold as such when the OG DSTWO stock finished before the DSTWO+ officially released, which is on the latest firmware) and both cards force the DS to run the game on the bottom screen.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
how_do_i_do_that, he is talking about the EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion pack that needs a slot-1 card to "burn" the games to it. This is probably not a problem with the ds2, the console or anything, but a problem with the GBAEXPloader.

sonicrings, did you try to find some settings for that in GBA EXPloader?
BTW greetings, nice to speak after so many years :D

Reactions: SonicRings

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: SonicRings

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how_do_i_do_that, he is talking about the EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion pack that needs a slot-1 card to "burn" the games to it. This is probably not a problem with the ds2, the console or anything, but a problem with the GBAEXPloader.

sonicrings, did you try to find some settings for that in GBA EXPloader?
BTW greetings, nice to speak after so many years :D

It really has been a while! I saw you posted on my previous DSTWO thread and wanted to say hey but didn't want to go off-topic, glad you found me here too! All is well I take it?

Nope, there are different revisions. The differences are very minor. Mostly to block flashme.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-check-your-firmware-version-on-ds-ds-lite.456211/

I just tested on my other NDSL with broken hinge and what do you know, it works just fine. What do you suggest I can do with my other NDSL? I'm asking not for myself but because I'm planning on sending the DSTWO and NDSL with EZV 3in1 to my friend as a gift and am worried that she won't be able to choose which screen to play on (assuming I'm able to pick up another NDSL with EZV 3in1 from my seller)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It really has been a while! I saw you posted on my previous DSTWO thread and wanted to say hey but didn't want to go off-topic, glad you found me here too! All is well I take it?
Yeah, sure. How is it going with Sonic? :D
BTW I tried to do the same as you (SCDS2+, GBA EXPLoader, EZ-Flash 3in1) and the game is always on the topscreen - no matter what the system is set to. Pretty weired.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, there are different revisions. The differences are very minor. Mostly to block flashme.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-check-your-firmware-version-on-ds-ds-lite.456211/
I followed the instructions in your link and determined that my "wonky" NDSL is V5 (magenta screens) while my properly working NDSL is also V5 (magenta screens) so they seem to be on the same version. Both times I removed the EZ Flash from the GBA slot, and tried again using a legit GBA game.

Yeah, sure. How is it going with Sonic? :D
I stopped collecting Sonic actually haha been getting more into things that are actually useful and not decorative (like building a good PC). Are you still making tutorials? Can't even remember what you helped me with way back when but it was so damn helpful that I still remember you!
BTW I tried to do the same as you (SCDS2+, GBA EXPLoader, EZ-Flash 3in1) and the game is always on the topscreen - no matter what the system is set to. Pretty weired.

I know, see my results above. They're both the same firmware revision yet one works and the other doesn't, apparently.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know, see my results above. They're both the same firmware revision yet one works and the other doesn't, apparently.
Flashme will probably not help you since my DS lite has flashme.

I stopped collecting Sonic actually haha been getting more into things that are actually useful and not decorative (like building a good PC). Are you still making tutorials? Can't even remember what you helped me with way back when but it was so damn helpful that I still remember you!
Yep, I still make tutorials :D we chatted a bit back then and even added each other at steam.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Flashme will probably not help you since my DS lite has flashme.

Yep, I still make tutorials :D we chatted a bit back then and even added each other at steam.
Yeah I know, I was actually cleaning my friend list the other day and came across your steam and was like "damn, I remember him!" and didn't remove you <3 lmao

As an update, @how_do_i_do_that , I just tried running GBA Exploader from my R4i and it worked, running the NOR game from exploader booted on the top screen on my wonky ds! I literally have no words.

Here are my test conditions thus far:
"Wonky" NDSL
DSTWO
EZV 3in1
GBA Exploader
Run NOR game
BOTTOM SCREEN

"Wonky" NDSL
Boot straight into GBA Slot
TOP SCREEN

Good NDSL
DSTWO
EZV 3in1
GBA Exploader
Run NOR game
TOP SCREEN

Good NDSL
Boot straight into GBA Slot
TOP SCREEN

Repeated above conditions with the new DSTWO on latest fw and got same results.

"Wonky" NDSL
R4i
GBA Exploader
Run NOR game
TOP SCREEN

Good NDSL
R4i
GBA Exploader
Run NOR game
TOP SCREEN

I then reinserted my DSTWO and repeated the initial tests, again getting the same results.
I have no words to describe my confusion right now.

EDIT: I went to the "Wonky" NDSL's settings and set launch mode to Auto and then back to Manual, as well as set GBA screen to bottom and then back to top, before finally restarting my DS. Now it works as intended: games run from GBA Exploader play on the top screen.
What I don't get is why it worked this time. I already tried setting the game screen to bottom, restarting, testing, then setting it back to top, restarting, and testing, TWICE, and neither times did it help. This time that I set it to bottom without restarting and back to top before finally restarting it apparently did something and my issue has been solved. O.o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021