Hacking DSTwo Emulation

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to buy a dstwo, but want to read what you guys think about the gba and snes emulation in the dstwo. Are they both full speed with perfect graphics and sound or is one of them better than the other. I heard that GBA games run at about 90% speed with barely any graphic glitches and sound being a little off, but I also heard that the SNES emulator is not that good. I was going to read the dstwo review from this site, but it is not showing up on my phone.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Both are about 90+% speed (frameskip) with very minor (if existing at all for most games) graphical glitches. However that's still way better than any other SNES/GBA emulation on the DS.

If you're going for emulation, however, I'd suggest a PSP or something other than a DS. The PSP's emulation blows the DS's out of the water.

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The GBA emulator is okay, version 1.21 with game_config.txt is the best one to use. For best results, make sure to turn frameskip to "auto", turn the frameskip number to 0, and set CPU frequency to 4 after you load a game. It won't run flawlessly, but it's acceptable. Be prepared to deal with a bit of choppyness in some games.

The GBA emulator will likely never be improved because team Supercard are a bunch of crooked software pirates who don't care about violating gPSP's GPL license by not releasing the source code, which was used in NDSGBA.

The SNES emulator sucks dick and is inferior in every way to SNEmulDS. Pretty pathetic how the emulator advertised to take advantage of the DSTWO's extra horsepower runs every game worse than one that can run on an ordinary flashcart.

My verdict: buy a used PSP if you're going to be doing a lot of emulating on the go.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA emulator works fine for most of the library but the way the save states are set up are really annoying.

CATSFC has good compatibility but horrible input lag on pretty much everything.

Aside from battery usage on standby mode the DSTWO is really great for everything else, there's perfect rom compatibility with no need for AP patches and the Supercard team updates against Nintendo firmware insanely fast.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The GBA emulator will likely never be improved because team Supercard are a bunch of crooked software pirates who don't care about violating gPSP's GPL license by not releasing the source code, which was used in NDSGBA.
Last I read they're using darkchen's work, which gPSP was based on. gPSP is GPL. However the original source it forked from, and thus projects made from THAT source, are not GPL.

I'd check this info further, but the service darkchen uses for his stuff (blog.com) is down, so do you have any proof of those claims?

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I am mostly interested in ds games, but it is also cool having gba and snes emulator on the side. The best reason to get the dstwo is for the support provided like fast updates and updating without a ds lite.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are they both full speed with perfect graphics and sound or is one of them better than the other.

It would be impossible to have perfect graphics and full speed at the same time using an emulator. For example, just the fact that you have to use frameskip means you won't have a fluid gameplay. Even emulators made for PC have some tricks for working faster, the so called speed hacks. Thus, the only way to have these qualities is to buy a snes and a gba, or to use bsnes in case you have a really good PC that can handle it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill