dstt fried my microsd?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by King Hippo, Oct 20, 2008.

Oct 20, 2008

dstt fried my microsd? by King Hippo at 10:58 AM (2,361 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. King Hippo
    OP

Newcomer King Hippo Newbie

United States
    hello. Sorry in advance; this is long.

My dstt is the newest generation that dx just started selling. I've had it for just a few weeks and it's only recently been giving me occasional minor problems, then it suddenly became vicious...

I was using a 4gb japanese microsd that I bought some time ago for my blackberry, the card's never given me problems. Anyway, I recently had a couple issues with files randomly corrupting and I had just resolved that with a lengthy backup and reformatting (which thank god I backed it up!) I was already using the latest official firmware. Well, just now I powered up my ds, I went to load a backup and I got the dreaded dsttmenu.sys error. I restarted my ds, and the little loading screen got stuck. I figured maybe my card was too full so I stuck it in my pc, both via usb and also through the built-in card reader, and the computer won't read it at all, it's like I have nothing inserted so I can't reformat. Has anyone heard of a dstt frying a microsd? The only thing I changed since the last time the unit powered on normally was I updated the usercheat.dat since the one included with the dstt firmware is outdated and almost completely in chinese and japanese.

I'm going to get another microsd (obvously) but I'm worried this will happen again.

Any ideas?

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    not had any big issues with TTDS cards ... as for the mem card try formatting it in your blackberry or other phone or digital camera using an adapter maby .. sometimes that way you can revive a corrupt card [​IMG]

3. King Hippo
    OP

United States
    I just tried to reformat it via my phone but that didn't work either. It got an error. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

4. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Oh dear...

With the DSTT, it corrupts ALL THE TIME. (i think it depends on how many games you have?)

But anyways, just reformat it and chuck all the backup back on, should be fine. Those minor problems occur for me once a week because I have too many games, and that major corruption that causes it to be unreadable should still be reformattable. When that happened to me, I just plugged it in and it had the words "Removable Disk H:" , but when I double-clicked on it, it said "Please insert a disk into Drive H:"

In other words, if yours isn't being read, then I don't think this has been heard of. Perhaps it HAS been fried.

5. King Hippo
    OP

United States
    Yes it said "please insert disk in drive" when I used both the usb reader and the built-in sd slot but no amount of fiddling to get the computer to read it. I tried to right click and reformat from there but it just kept asking for me to insert a disk. I even tried to reformat from the administrative tools under control panel but since the computer wouldn't read it woundn't show.

On a funny side note, this whole fiasco reminds me of when nes games wouldn't work after a lot of use so you'd have to blow in them... Except that won't work.

6. Fun_Zephyr

Member Fun_Zephyr GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I have no suggestions on how to fix as everyone has made them but if it is a Kingston MicroSD Card then they offer a lifetime warranty. Call them up with the details and get it replaced. I did this when my MicroSD corrupted (different gaming card) and it got replaced no hassle.

[​IMG]

7. King Hippo
    OP

United States
    Fortunately it is kingston and the US office is only 45 mins from here so hopefully I'll only be out of commission for a few days. Thanks everyone!

On the plus side, at least the dstt didn't fry my ds; I read the n5 horror stories..

Update: I googled the problem before I ever posted but I've been doing some more detective work and it looks like a good amount of people have had their cards fried by dstt carts. What are the odds that I can get dx to exchange it? Or is it not even worth it for a $11

8. Sarvesh50

Member Sarvesh50 Aye!

Netherlands
    I had this too with my kingston 1 gb nothing did work so needed too buy a new one.

9. King Hippo
    OP

United States
    update: the card is indeed totally fried but on the plus side, kingston does indeed have hassle free replacement. simply call them, give them the number on your micro sd, and they'll send you a replacement - that easy.

i'm only buying kingston from now on.