Hacking DSTT bricked my ds, advice please

unrealdude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, would really appreciate some advice, quick summary of whats happened so far below

I bought a TTDS card with 2gb micro sd, downloaded the OS from here http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ version 1.17. As soon as I put it in my DS the DS stopped working and would not charge or switch on. Little orange LED flicks on for a second and then goes.
I thought it may be a coincidence as the DS was an old one so I bought a new DS lite and the card has also killed this one in the same way
frown.gif

I looked on the official TTDS website that shows which cards are fake and which are real by looking inside them and my card seems to be a real one.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I am obviously scared now to buy another card even another make incase it does it again as I cannot get my DS replaced a second time
frown.gif

Some help would really be appreciated

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I assume it still doesn't work at all without the DSTT inserted (with no cartridge inserted or with a regular game cartridge)?

Unfortunately, the real DSTT's have had some contact problems (the contacts are misaligned or don't make proper contact). In rare circumstances, this can short out your NDS. If your NDS is under warranty, Nintendo will fix it by replacing the fuse (of course, don't tell them it was your DSTT that caused the problem). It is possible if you know a little about electronics to fix it yourself.

If in fact your fuse is blown, you will not want to use that DSTT again. Return it and get a new one (or a different flash cart altogether).

-Bri

unrealdude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Bri, thats exactly what I thought was happening as it does seem the fuse has blown in both of the DS's!

Luckily the second DS is brand new so will be taking that back and getting it replaced free.

If I were to buy a cyclods card what are the chances of something like this happening again ? Just don't want to risk bricking another DS, any input appreciated.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, if you were to replace it with any flash cart (even another DSTT), the chances of that happening would be very low. The contacts have to be pretty far off to blow a fuse. With a DSTT, if it has contact problems the contacts don't touch the DS, which usually just make it so the flash cart doesn't work properly, but doesn't usually harm the DS.

You should be able to return your DSTT to wherever you got it from since it's clearly faulty. The older DS can be repaired by someone who knows their way around solder, so I wouldn't toss it.

Anyway...if you're looking for another relatively inexpensive flash cart, I'd suggest the Acekard 2. It's slightly more expensive than the DSTT, but has one of the best menu systems of any flash cart available.

If you think you'll use real-time game state dumps and think that feature is worth the extra money, the CycloDS is a good choice too but obviously way more expensive than the DSTT or Acekard 2.

-Bri

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to my old DS with an R4. I had removed a broken spring and the card never really worked well again. the internal card motherboard would shift around and cause the DS to not recognize the R4. Eventually, one day I powered on my DS and it shorted it out. The DS was still in warranty so I took it back, only to have the same thing happen. Realizing it was the R4 causing this, I got a new DS and bought a new card (Supercard DS-One).

unrealdude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankyou for the advice guys.

I think I am going to be ordering an AceKard 2 and a 2gb kingston micro sd in a week or so.

I have ordered a nintendo screwdriver and replacement f1, f2 fuses so I will have a go at replacing the fuses in the old phat DS.

genericaccount20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of getting the 2GB Kingston card, you can get a 8GB Transcend card from newegg for about $17. I have a bunch of the 2GB Kingston cards and they are really good. I just got tired of deleting games when wanting to put on new ones. With the 8GB cards, you can put roughly around 200 games on it. I an a bunch of friends all now use the 8GB Transcend cards. Just a thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208453

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
microSD cards can use the FAT16 file system and are a little faster than microSDHC cards. Just something to keep in mind. If you do get a microSDHC card, make sure it's a class 6 (such as the one genericaccount2007 linked to).

-Bri

Anj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, this happened to one of my DS's except it could still charge. Or it might have been a loose wire, it started out as the top screen going black. But then the whole DS would just flicker after and would not turn on :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @DinohScene hi