omatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read through the DSi manual (found here, Australian version), and the part about DSiWare caught my eye. DSiWare is actually only licensed to end-users, you never actually own a copy of whatever game or application you buy. This means that you could (technically) lose the right to use the software if Nintendo sees fit.

In addition, the license is only valid for a single DSi. According to the manual, the software "cannot be returned, refunded, turned into cash, or transferred". In other words, buying a new DSi will require buying all your games and apps all over again if you want to use them. This applies to Nintendo Points, as well. Even if you were able to convince a sympathetic Nintendo employee that you really deserve a transfer, they'd have to break the Terms of Use you agreed to when you first connected to the DSi Shop.

I urge everyone to exercise caution in buying DSiWare. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I feel more comfortable when I can do whatever I want with games and software I pay for.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaming companies always put these big scary statements up saying "Blah blah...we have the right to take that away from your...blah...we can sue...blah..."

But yah I find it hard to believe it won't ever be transferable, even Nintendo has said you can play DSi ware off your SD card. Even if there is something that locks the DSiWare to your DSi's specific code or something once you download it. There eventually will be some sort of bypass to it. There's always a bypass of some sort.

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Actually all software are Licensed. You never actually own them.

As for licensed to a single DSi, that is a problem for those with multiple DSi or changed DSi when it's broken, it's probably because each software is tied to a single serial number not to the username... guess we have to wait to see what it is...

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omatic said:
I read through the DSi manual (found here, Australian version), and the part about DSiWare caught my eye. DSiWare is actually only licensed to end-users, you never actually own a copy of whatever game or application you buy. This means that you could (technically) lose the right to use the software if Nintendo sees fit.

In addition, the license is only valid for a single DSi. According to the manual, the software "cannot be returned, refunded, turned into cash, or transferred". In other words, buying a new DSi will require buying all your games and apps all over again if you want to use them. This applies to Nintendo Points, as well. Even if you were able to convince a sympathetic Nintendo employee that you really deserve a transfer, they'd have to break the Terms of Use you agreed to when you first connected to the DSi Shop.

I urge everyone to exercise caution in buying DSiWare. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I feel more comfortable when I can do whatever I want with games and software I pay for.

This is just the usual corporate BS. I find it VERY hard to believe that you cannot transfer since there have been many instances of people losing their Wiis (in fires or stolen, etc) and Nintendo has transferred all the tickets from their old accounts to the new Wii. It's happened in the past with the Wii and I find it HIGHLY unlikely that Nintendo would leave the consumer in the dark like that (it would just be bad business).

D

Deleted User

Well it's actually the same with Wiiware/VC software. I guess if your DSi is broken you'll have to call the Nintendo customer support and see if they can help you.

When my Wii was broken I sent it to Nintendo and they transferred the licenses for the software to the new one. The only thing I had to do was redownloading it from the shop channel. I don't know what it will be like if it's not covered by warranty anymore, though.

omatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Well it's actually the same with Wiiware/VC software. I guess if your DSi is broken you'll have to call the Nintendo customer support and see if they can help you.

When my Wii was broken I sent it to Nintendo and they transferred the licenses for the software to the new one. The only thing I had to do was redownloading it from the shop channel. I don't know what it will be like if it's not covered by warranty anymore, though.

That's relieving actually. I've had really bad experiences with DLC, licenses, and big companies (namely Microsoft and EA), so I'm paranoid when I see things like "DSiWare is licensed to you, you don't actually own it." (paraphrased from DSi manual).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao