Dsi XL dual voltage?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Stuntbum, May 13, 2010.

May 13, 2010

Dsi XL dual voltage? by Stuntbum at 11:18 AM (5,912 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Stuntbum
    OP

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    Does anyone here know whether or not the Dsi XL is dual voltage? I ordered an american dsi xl and i'm currently living in the UK and want to know if i'll have to use a transformer to charge it. I cant seem to find this information anywhere online so i figured someone here might know, any help would be appreciated.

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    You'll need a UK DSi XL charger, its probably the same as a normal DSi charger. If you want to use the American charger it comes with then you'll need a converter.
    Why'd you order and american one anyway? Its out here you know.

3. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Certainly the DS one I have here isn't - says "PRI. 110V"

4. Stuntbum
    OP

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    I ordered it because i'm an american living in the uk and i would rather it worked back home. Is it just the charger that is 110 or is it the battery itself, in other words if i get a 220 charger will it work with the american ds?

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    The charger is 110V. The charger downsteps the mains voltage to the DSi's voltage and then converts to DC to charge the battery, since the DSi hardware is the same everywhere a charger from any region will work with any region's DSi.
    The DSi isn't exactly "Dual-Voltage" it uses a single voltage but the chargers for each region convert the mains to that voltage.

6. Stuntbum
    OP

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    Ah ok so i'd just essentially need a german/american plug adapter to just plug it into the wall without burning it out. I just dont want to have to use a transformer every time i need to charge it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

7. hunnymonster

United Kingdom
    No - it seems you need a whole 230V charger - the US one is 110V only.

8. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Lies!

Read Jamstruth's reply, it tells naught but the truth.

9. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  10. hunnymonster

United Kingdom
    Mate - I've been hopping back & forth across the Atlantic for the last 20 years at least - I've been the soldier that plugged in a 230V appliance in the US and it didn't go well... appliance didn't work due to the 110V supply but no damage to it.

I've also been the one that plugged in the 110V appliance here into a 230V supply - also didn't go well there was a burning smell and the appliance was toast.

If the DSi wall wart is not multivoltage (ie. 100-240V) it will either fry itself alone or will take the DSi with it. Therefore the OP either needs a 230/110 stepdown transformer or a local DSi wall wart.

11. Stuntbum
    OP

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry to revive an old post, but for future reference of anyone searching out an answer to this same question; The nintendo dsi xl is NOT dual voltage and does not internally convert 110-240 v. It is one or the other. As of now i'm using a transformer for my US dsi xl to convert to 110v or 120v whichever it is.

I've ordered a Usb charger from amazon as a previous poster suggested. (thanks for the suggestion)

I would, however, like to know if anyone has used a european charger on a US dsi or vise verse . I would imagine that the power supply in the cord would convert the charge to a charge usable by the dsi. [​IMG]

12. hunnymonster

United Kingdom
    The consoles have an identical power requirement. A UK DSi XL adapter has a 4.6V/900mA output.

13. kleptodathief

Newcomer kleptodathief Advanced Member

United States
    adding in my experience

i went to vietnam, tried using my cdn dsiXL stock nintendo charger and it DOES NOT work in the 220v mains there, BUT the charger still works back home in canada as im typing, it didn't blow to my suprise
    so this means it dual voltage?

but i did do a stupid thing, i plugged in a 110v american microwave plug into a viet 220v socket

put the timer on 30secs and it fried the microwave? new micro?

14. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    The Dsi LL is the same the world over, the charger isn't.

buy a £3 220v euro or uk charger (depending on what country you are in) and use that. save the 110v us charger for when you are in the usa.

Or the usb charger will work, just slower to charge.