Hacking DSi Pro's and Con's and should you buy one.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DeadLocked said:
Sarvesh50 said:
dont get angry but why an sd card slot and no microsd slot and with gba slot 2 why hell why?
They only use the Sd slot for music and pictures, it's not a win IMO when flashcarts do that, plus videos and the music can actually be MP3 which is easier.
Plus I'm sure if you really wanted to manipulate pictures use photoshop ¬.¬
SD slot is just a worthless Gimmick when you own a flashcart. Thats why I put PSP 4k > DSL > DSi
but with an micro sd slot it wasnt that big and the slot 2 could be still supported
wink.gif

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else but me noticed Nintendo is going down the Sony PSP road with the memory card thing, if you think about it, it sets up the dsi as the next for a custom firmware(Pandora Battery and magic memory stick for custom firmware any1?), this also includes of course a redirected update as it is currently with the psp's custom firmware where you update to a hacked firmware with all your casual amenaties minus nintendo's feeble piracy blockage attempts.
yaynds.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IchigoK2031 said:
Has anyone else but me noticed Nintendo is going down the Sony PSP road with the memory card thing, if you think about it, it sets up the dsi as the next for a custom firmware(Pandora Battery and magic memory stick for custom firmware any1?), this also includes of course a redirected update as it is currently with the psp's custom firmware where you update to a hacked firmware with all your casual amenaties minus nintendo's feeble piracy blockage attempts.
yaynds.gif

Yah that's what I was thinking.

I was also thinking since you can put DSiWare on your SD card...what stops your from pirating? I mean all you have to do it get an SD card reader and send the file to other people.

tehmacuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IchigoK2031 said:
yaynds.gif

...Except it took quite a while in the PSP scene for us to come even remotely close to custom firmware. Even then, don't you remember the constant bickering between the 2.0 and 1.5 firmwares? Downgrading, upgrading, etc. In order to hack the PSP, you had to remain at 1.5 firmware and lose out on all the new features for quite a while before hacks and the GTA exploit was discovered. I mean, you realized that "redirected update" you're talking about was not there since the beginning, not even remotely old; it's a relatively very new feature for CFW.

Nintendo will not take this approach. Nintendo will crush cart makers by removing their exploits and lock the SD card. They'll introduce "cute" firmware updates to lock consumers into updates or obsolescence. It won't be quite as blunt as Sony's three digit "security updates" (i.e. 1.51, 2.01, etc); but they'll accomplish the same thing. If you think that Nintendo hasn't learned from Sony's firmware mistakes, you're being naïve. The flash cards will be crushed and libtiff exploits and buffer overflows will probably be covered. The Acekard/R4 updates won't last very long.

On top of this, you have the uncertainty of whether your custom firmware will ever pass certain points; if it ever makes it in general. Will you have to wait forever like 1.50 kernel users did before 2.71 SE-A came out to finally release realistic homebrew possibilities? Most people will grow frustrated of this.

For some the cameras (0.3 megapixels, holy shit.) will be worth it. For some, it'll be the DSi store, the web browser, whatever. In any event the DSi is Nintendo's final blow to the PSP scene to get some points back as a "serious" console and add new features....while simultaneously cutting back ridiculously on homebrew/piracy. It's a win/win for Nintendo and a lose/lose for consumers.

Just some thoughts.
-tehmacuser

Posts merged

DeltaBurnt said:
QUOTE(IchigoK2031 @ Mar 5 2009, 02:12 AM) Has anyone else but me noticed Nintendo is going down the Sony PSP road with the memory card thing, if you think about it, it sets up the dsi as the next for a custom firmware(Pandora Battery and magic memory stick for custom firmware any1?), this also includes of course a redirected update as it is currently with the psp's custom firmware where you update to a hacked firmware with all your casual amenaties minus nintendo's feeble piracy blockage attempts.
yaynds.gif

Yah that's what I was thinking.

I was also thinking since you can put DSiWare on your SD card...what stops your from pirating? I mean all you have to do it get an SD card reader and send the file to other people.

It's the same reason that when you bought music from the old iTunes store it wouldn't tranfer; DRM. And believe me, there will be plenty of it.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Nintendo will not take this approach. Nintendo will crush cart makers by removing their exploits and lock the SD card. They'll introduce "cute" firmware updates to lock consumers into updates or obsolescence. It won't be quite as blunt as Sony's three digit "security updates" (i.e. 1.51, 2.01, etc); but they'll accomplish the same thing. If you think that Nintendo hasn't learned from Sony's firmware mistakes, you're being naïve. The flash cards will be crushed and libtiff exploits and buffer overflows will probably be covered. The Acekard/R4 updates won't last very long.
Just some thoughts.
-tehmacuser

Yes! You're right. Nintendo DSi is BUILT to beat piracy... if they make Lite obsolete we're ****ed because we'll have to BUY ALL games we want to play. It's NOT WORTH IT!!!
I can understand buying PSP games, they're large, cool graphics mostly, long gameplay. DS games are not worth RRP they need to be halved in price before I rank them anywhere near worthy of RRP... (That is my justification for DS pirates
yaynds.gif
)

And...Nintendo, if you actually do make this Gold/Silver Remake... I will buy it... (one day, when i have a few £££ and a car and stuff
tongue.gif
)

NoobInTraining[L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont think it's worth the money imo. Cameras are a bit gimmicky, there again people said that about the touchscreen
unsure.gif
. Anyway, I would only get one if my Lite blows up. And phat style dpad? ERGH! I hated the fat dpad, much prefer the lite one. Im happy with my lite and m3 real thanks
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    -light27 profile comments, 2023
  • light27 @ light27:
    when we were talking about psps
  • light27 @ light27:
    and i was really REALLY bad at coding
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Went to your page to remember. yea, I'm still here
  • light27 @ light27:
    if i had more energy (i just woke up) there would be about 50 more reallys
    +2
  • light27 @ light27:
    nice
  • light27 @ light27:
    say, do you happen to have a modded wii u or 3ds
    nope. Just me and my PSP 3001
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, I own a dsi and a ps3
    +2
    I think I own a shoe. It's here.... Somewhere
  • light27 @ light27:
    LOL
    +1
  • light27 @ light27:
    hmm yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait
  • light27 @ light27:
    what if shoes are games and the cartridges are your feet
    +1
    👞 Found it :hrth::toot::grog::D:grog::toot::hrth:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    it was in your ass wasn't it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also i don't have a wii u or a 3ds, but i do have a wii and a dsi, both modded
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    brb
    It was in yours actually :D:tpi::rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    pulled it out of my ass like a tapeworm
    (yes that's a song reference)
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or im still here
    +1
    I'm not
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    If I here and now is now where is here?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If I here and now is now where is here?