DSi Pro's and Con's and should you buy one.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DeadLocked, Feb 21, 2009.

Feb 21, 2009
  1. DeadLocked
    OP

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I just felt like this topic needed to be done and I'm sorry if it's already been done I just missed it. Besides now a lot more information has been revealed. Post your thoughts about whether this is a good option or just a way to combat piracy. So, let's see.

The DSi: [​IMG] Costing a princely £149.99, is it worth it when a DSLite is only £99 and falling?
    Pro's: [​IMG]
    -17% larger screens
    -Improved Speakers for improved sound quality.
    -A few millimetres thinner
    -Connect to the internet and DSi shop for instant downloads of new applications and software using Nintendo points (Formerly known as Wii Points)
    -Built in Web browser for wifi connection on the go in the absence of a computer.
    -Upgraded RAM from 4mb to 10mb (or so I've heard)
    -Inclusion of Two cameras, 0.3 Megapixels(Other sources claim that the outer camera is 3.0 and only the inner camera is 0.3 Megapixels). The camera on the inside can be used in some DSi Ware titles which detect movement of the player ( Could possibly used as a low quality webcam in the future of Homebrew )
    -Upgraded microphone... slightly
    -No need to switch of your DS just to change carts anymore!! simply take it out and replace it and the DSi will instantly recognise the new cart... Although this was sorta what a lot of flshcart users been doin for years...it's called soft reset but it takes less energy taking out the cart and replacing it with another game.

Time for the 'you decide, good or bad: [​IMG]
    -Dpad is supposed to be more like the DS Phat's D-pad, possibly meaning thinner, easier to use
    -Power button is on the inside of the console, on the Lite it was where the SD card slot is now
    -Only plays AAC music, while AAC format is supposed to be superior to MP3, I don't know many people who own an AAC player or any AAC tracks so they will have to be converted (Don't throw out your iPod just yet, Nintendo have also stated that this isn't made to be superior to any current sound systems but rather lets you play witht he music adding your own customisations with the microphone, speeding up/slowing down tracks and playing with the equalizer/treble.
    -Removal of the GBA slot but thinner console to compensate. (No more guitar heroes [​IMG]) Do you play GBA games anymore? when was the last time you did? Could you live with an Emulator or is the GBA slot on your DS vital to you?
    -Matte finish, no shiny surfaces anymore (no fingerprints but looks slightly tackier IMO)

Con's of the DSi [​IMG]
    -Hardly worthy of the £50 advance on the DSLite? Just for some bad cameras, speakers, microphone and barely noticeable screen revamp.
    -Loss of the GBA slot
    -Region Locked DSiWare
    -Lengthier DS to make room for the only slightly larger Screens.
    -Battery life is Appalling: On the DS Lite on the highest brightness it could last from 5-9 hours, on the DSi highest brightness is just 3-4 hours ( I don't know if the DSi is brighter but the larger screens really come with a price)
    -Removed the DS Logo from the outer shell, looks like something is missing.
    ---READ THIS BEFORE CONSIDERING BUYING A DSi!!!----
    Nintendo have the right and power to brick your DSi with just one quick mandatory firmware update which I'm sure can easily detect any flashcarts once Nintendo get their hands on one and implement a code in the updates to brick it. Until some smart hacker comes up with something to stop the mandatory firmware updates, BE WARNED. Even if you don't have your flashcart in your DSi at the time, Nintendo can download a firmware update to brick your flashcart and/or DSi as soon as it detects it so unless your flashcart maker can afford to update firmware everyday, I wouldn't risk it D:

This idea I thought of but until soemone confirmed that it happens on the wii and they had this idea too, I was unsure. It's unconfirmed whether they will do this but my best guess is that they will since the DSi is meant to be Nntendo's weapon to combat piracy.

This means either Mod your DSi or risk going online and getting your DSi pwned, or don't use Wifi at all.

The only thing I want from the DSi, is the sales to go up, and the DSLite sales to drop and the price to fall. But hey, what's the chances of that?

I know a lot of that didn't make sense but I would rather everyone be forewarned.

2. Nathan-NL

Member Nathan-NL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    There are two 0.3MP cameras, not one 0.3MP inside and a 3.0MP outside.

3. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    Are you sure? well noted I'll go and have a look at a couple of sources.

From CNET
    I have heard from sources that the cameras are both 0.3mp, but from others I've heard they're both 3mp and from others i heard 3mp and a lower 0.3mp.

4. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
    I saw it on several websites, but I guess this one will make you believe my statement: www.google.com [​IMG]

(My previous source www.dsibrew.org is btw a wiki of bushing)

5. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    Lol well played but since all of our sources can be edited by the general public, I'ma go straight to Nintendo lol

Well I looked and they didn't even mention the specs, but btw there's over 11 different frames and effects for your pictures -.-

I ain't gonna lie to you, I know nothing about camera specs so i'll just edit for now to 'it's one of the three'

6. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
    Hmm, you still don't seem to believe me

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    It's definitely two 0.3MP camera's

8. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    LOL! ok it's edited to what you two said and states that other sources say the outer camera is 3mp. It doesn't really matter to me tbh, I will NOT be buying one, I will get DSL since I'm still stuck with this phat xD Why did my Birthday have to be one month before DSlites released!!!

9. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
  10. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Pro:
    its new
    made by nintendo

Cons:
    Sucks
    Overpriced
    Fugly
    flashcards for it are all rushed.
    Only plays about 1/3 of REAL ds games.

Buy a lite.

11. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    Exactly my reasoning I just wanted to be sincere to the proud owners and future owners.

Cons- IT IS A DEATH TRAP AND WILL SELF DESTRUCT UPON FINDING A FLASHCART INSERTED! I swear to god that's what Nintendo are planning, brick Brick Brick.

12. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I will not be buying one anytime soon.

Gimmick: Add two crappy cameras and the ability to play Rare AAC music = MONEY!

I dont see the attraction. They killed the "portability" by cutting the battery life in half, and they took away of use of some homebrew and emulation by taking out the GBA slot.

Sure they gave us an SD slot, but isnt that what flashcards are there for: to provide a medium to use the SD card loaded with games?

The region locked DSiWare is also pretty crappy. They very well may start making DSi "only" carts and making those region locked as well.

Who knows, this thing may be a hit, but I can agree that I want the price of the DS lite to go down so I can buy one of those! I too have the phat.

13. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
    I don't think Nintendo will brick our DSi's anytime soon, it's more credible that they will block out the new flashcarts. (Since Nintendo didn't brick any Wii until now)

14. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Also,
    I wanted to point out that with firmware updates,
    they'll just make it even worse.

its almost as shovelware as ubisoft.

15. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well I was hoping Nintendo wouldn't come to this, now they've got the technology they can keep pirates living in the DSLite ages while Legit buyers are out there having fun on the future DS 2s or something. I don't know it depends how strong the flashcart companies stay and don't die out like my poor R4 and we'll see how fast Nintendo can pump out firmware updates (You don't even have to connect to online, they could put in a new update into every new shipment of DSi)

I think the people who will suffer the msot is the parents of little kids who buy a DSi and then don't know what a firmware update is, they connect to their lil' routers to play some Animal crossing or Mario Kart and then Nintendo can wreak mayhem on their lil DSi. I doubt if it will even say 'To connect to wifi you must first download this update, do you wish to continue' it will jsut do it.

16. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
    I still don't think Nintendo will brick DSi's by purpose.

17. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    +Yet. They might not but I wouldn't risk my £149.99 DSi and £30+ Flashcart on it. I'd stay offline until I found a mod to stop updates.

18. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'll buy one because I have faith nintendo is gonna come through with some KICK ASS camera based games like that gizmondo shit.

19. Nathan-NL

Netherlands
    Yeah, I will probably block out the Nintendo update servers as well..

20. DeadLocked
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh crap I forgot to add the price tag -.-;

EDIT: Done now, but added whether it's worth a £50 advance on a currently up to date DSL