DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
pesaroso said:
"I will screw you all" ? Wtf are you talking about, weiff? Of course they want to keep pirates out..

Anyhow, anyone tried with the DS-X yet? How awesome would it be if the laughing stock of the flashcart market turned out to be the rescue.. xD

Yeah, that would be awesome. xD

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will not buy a DSi unless and until there is an EDGEi, EVOi or WHATEVERi.

and then ... just maybe.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Chief_Second

Trophies
XP
Country
.........am i the only one who's thinking - i'll buy this regardless and just have a old ds for flash cards, and new for original games? games in the uk are so cheap now 2nd hand - just need to be selective on the ones you buy!

most people haave a hacked wii for 'stuff', and 2nd wii for wifi - i do.

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone is going to find a hack for the sd-slot and/or a solution to using are our flashcards. I'm surprised they didn't do anything about this earlier. Does anyone know if they will be releasing firmware updates like the psp, well like the ps3, wii, and x360?

iamanobody

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what happens when:
1. a DSi only game is put on the DS (nothing, error, etc.)
2. a DSi only game is dumped using a DS rom dumper (like Rudolph's)

also, many flashcarts have their bootstraps written on a flash so it can be reprogrammed even if there was never an update/program that did so

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow... wake up late on a Saturday morning to see this news O___O.
As one user on hacken.cc said, the best solution is just to use your current NDSL! There's not reason to justify getting a DSi. Or just wait out for an SD card slot hack.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried out a "It's not exactly official, but it's about as official as we can get" Datel Games'n'Music cart yet? I still got one of those, and the sucker still plays everything that's worth playing! (JNKPlat*cough*Retro Collection*cough*Stringy Things*cough*)

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD Slot opens up too much, and with Flashcarts being blocked, CFW's are going to be developed much Faster.

Not to mention SD Cards are cheaper than MicroSD. 16GB Class 6 $40. MicroSD 16GB class 2 $90.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Woe is us! Tragedy Hails from Japan! Darn those Nintendo Bastards to HECK for what they've tried to do to us!!!

JayenKai--thats a good ideal. I hadn't thought of that. Not that most people will care if it does work, it might give us a lead.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I'm not surprised the DSi blocked flashcarts. Heck I'd be surprised if it didn't, considering how it's been a huge problem these days for Nintendo. I'm just hoping there's a way or a new exploit to allow backup games to be played. Only then will I get a DSi.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Chief_Second said:
.........am i the only one who's thinking - i'll buy this regardless and just have a old ds for flash cards, and new for original games? games in the uk are so cheap now 2nd hand - just need to be selective on the ones you buy!

I do not yet see a point in depriving h4x0r3d Wii systems of internet access yet - no bannings

GamerzInc

Trophies
XP
Country
Fat D said:
Chief_Second said:

I do not yet see a point in depriving h4x0r3d Wii systems of internet access yet - no bannings

Agreed, having two wii's, one hacked and one isn't, especially to play online is pointless. Nintendo isn't doing any bannings.

Kokorazashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
skyman747 said:
The SD Slot opens up too much, and with Flashcarts being blocked, CFW's are going to be developed much Faster.

Not to mention SD Cards are cheaper than MicroSD. 16GB Class 6 $40. MicroSD 16GB class 2 $90.

Dude, you can only use standard SD cards, not SDHC cards. So only 2GB allowed. But that isn't really a problem seeing as I can fit like 18 games on 2GB all of which are pretty good. They could possibly however, hack the firmware to read SDHC cards like what a few hackers did to the Wii (I can't remember what exactly it was called) to allow it to read SDHC cards. It was on the front page, Google it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Kokorazashi said:
skyman747 said:

Dude, you can only use standard SD cards, not SDHC cards. So only 2GB allowed. But that isn't really a problem seeing as I can fit like 18 games on 2GB all of which are pretty good. They could possibly however, hack the firmware to read SDHC cards like what a few hackers did to the Wii (I can't remember what exactly it was called) to allow it to read SDHC cards. It was on the front page, Google it.

According to the manual it's SDHC. It's somewhere in this thread I think, or it could be the one in the Hardware and Utilities section.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*facepalm*
Somehow I just knew this would happen, when I left this topic this morning.
Please, people, just how long have you been sailing under the Black Flag?
This is how it always goes!
So Ninty took a shot at us, and they made a pretty darn good one.
It happens.
Tomorrow, our highly intelligent and skilled cohorts begin their counterattack.
Our people don't have the resources to throw into this problem that Ninty does, of course, so you won't get your solution tomorrow, nor the next day, and most likely not even the day after that.
But before long you'll see a topic around here saying something to the effect of:
"DSi working with homebrew - here's how!"
Then our comrades will figure out how to make games work. Then flashcarts and hacktools will be distributed and cloned a hundred times over.
And then we'll have a whole new batch of deckhands coming in to ask "How does I maek the R4/M3/N5/Q420 wurk in mai DSi?"

Have some patience.
It's a virtue higher than all others, I assure you.
Until then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.
You'll know quite well when it's time to get your DSi.

I deeply thank ahtin, and all the others who have made this information available to us, and I wish all those who take on the task of hacking out this problem all the luck in the world.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When the G6DS Real was tested, was it tested with both autoboot and non-autoboot?

It can be turned off in the Settings menu...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock