Hacking DSi Clear case from Consolesource

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heyo guys I wanna share my experience with one of GBAtemp's Sponsor, ConsoleSource.

I bought from them a Chrome DSi shell (cuz it would look good) and instead I received a *@#$#% Clear shell
mad.gif
. There's a $3 difference! The Chrome shell is 29.90 with shipping and the clear one is 26.90

At first I decided to go with the clear one and give it a try. It looked good but after one day I noticed cracks on the hinge and also near the power/wifi indicador.

This isn't normal so I sent a ticket to their support hopping I can either get a replacement one or my money back and I'll order one somewhere else (like DX maybe).

Even the buttons where crap quality! The ink on the ABXY buttons faded after normal use! They don't send screws or any other extra items. I noticed the shells that DX sells for 20 bucks have all the screws and even the stylus holder and battery holder >_

gibberish

Trophies
XP
Country
you'll be lucky to find any good quality ones on dx.
they might have some, but theyre buried in amongst tonnes of utter shite ones.

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gibberish said:
you'll be lucky to find any good quality ones on dx.
they might have some, but theyre buried in amongst tonnes of utter shite ones.

Oh yes I know that

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They never answered my support ticket.....Don't trust Console Source.....

Sorry for bumping this old thread but people must know what that website does

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shells from DX come with all screws, shoulder pins and springs, the metal piece that sits in the GBA slot, metal ring that the ribbon cable feeds through, top screen clear lens and bottom screen frame(no lens). The only thing it's missing is a small plastic piece which sits under the stulus holder, but I'm not sure that piece is totally important.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with the OP, the shells they sell for the DSi (the Eye Candy ones) are terrible -- I had the blue one, and the ink on the buttons faded within a week. For some magical reason the ink that shows Power, Wifi, etc also faded. Plastic was very, very cheap and flimsy.

Consolesource also does suck for responding to tickets -- that's why you should call them instead.
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...Hours-sp-3.html

They have a toll-free number to call, I found opening tickets with them gets zero results.

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well not for nothing man but the first thing you should have done was contacted them and let them know you got the wrong product and that you'd like a replacement of the correct one. That's what I would have done at least.

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
I agree with the OP, the shells they sell for the DSi (the Eye Candy ones) are terrible -- I had the blue one, and the ink on the buttons faded within a week. For some magical reason the ink that shows Power, Wifi, etc also faded. Plastic was very, very cheap and flimsy.

Consolesource also does suck for responding to tickets -- that's why you should call them instead.
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...Hours-sp-3.html

They have a toll-free number to call, I found opening tickets with them gets zero results.
If i pass my thumb over the power indicators, the ink WILL fade....
censored2.gif
this is crap.

Thanks for the number I will call. I'll get a shell from DX and make a black/white shell combination

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't go with GBAtemps sponsors unless you know they're a good reseller (from experience or other people's feedback). They're just there because they pay the most, not because they're the best.

Hopfully the cases I ordered from DX will be good quality...

But why did you want the chrome one and not the clear one? Chrome looks so cheap and it just scrapes off, but clear is super cool
yay.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I am going to say that the case is not gonna be 100% change of awesome either.

I ordered a Clear/Black (that is slightly transparent black) casing from there.

The internal build was bad, no holes for screws, and overall build was pretty hard to put together.

Also, the buttons were very flimsy so I ended up using original buttons.

In end i replaced whole bottom part with original black because apparently putting the DS in DX case made the speakers make this hizzing noise sometimes (even in headphones) - and putting motherboard back to normal casing fixed it.

I still use the clear black on top screen because I broke a hinge on my DSL - nit by using it, I just happened to fall asleep when I left DS next to me and apparently slept on it and the hinge broke - small life.

Oh also, the buttons on DX casing too had that fading paint on buttons... Maybe they are the same manufacturer. Because instead of blaming the seller, the maker of product is what has the inferior quality (though the shop too did fail in your case...)

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JereTHEend said:
I am going to say that the case is not gonna be 100% change of awesome either.

I ordered a Clear/Black (that is slightly transparent black) casing from there.

The internal build was bad, no holes for screws, and overall build was pretty hard to put together.

Also, the buttons were very flimsy so I ended up using original buttons.

In end i replaced whole bottom part with original black because apparently putting the DS in DX case made the speakers make this hizzing noise sometimes (even in headphones) - and putting motherboard back to normal casing fixed it.

I still use the clear black on top screen because I broke a hinge on my DSL - nit by using it, I just happened to fall asleep when I left DS next to me and apparently slept on it and the hinge broke - small life.

Oh also, the buttons on DX casing too had that fading paint on buttons... Maybe they are the same manufacturer. Because instead of blaming the seller, the maker of product is what has the inferior quality (though the shop too did fail in your case...)

I saw the pic of your DS in the show your ds off thread.

But I wanted chrome cuz it looked awesome but then I tried out the clear one it wasn't bad......

The ink faded on buttons, i tried using original ones but they don't even fit the holes (those little pins don't match woth original ones) except for the X and Y button.

The Hinges cracked (How the
censored2.gif
did this happen?)

The Case doesn't close completely (I checked EVERYTHING)

It didn't come with new screws (mine are getting stripped)

I will change it like I said to a white & black combo. I'm thinking of :
White top, black bottom, black inner top and whie inner bottom.
Use either the clear shoulder button or have one white one black (for ex L is white and R is black).
Then have the D pad and the A B buttons black and the X Y buttons white.
The power button will be black and the start button black, the select white). I will keep the frames black though.
The SD slot will be white (because of black bottom)

Since it's DX it will take some time (yay Chinese new year!)
I don't have money to order it until my next pay check this coming friday.

So I will post pics about it in like a month or so
rofl.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
yeah, and as said some cases are good some bad.

There is many inserts, just saying that at least the clear black was bit... underwhelming.

For me the customized is getting old - I mean, it is cool and all to have about only DS that looks like mine does, but it is really busted and all. That is why I am looking into getting new DS, for new and fresh feel.

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a DSi!
laugh.gif

Nah get whatever you want.

I'm switching back to my old black casing. I didn't have time to finish cuz I had to go to work. In fact I'm in break right now using McDonald's FREE WIFI
smileipb2.png
(You get the idea of where I work lol)

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
BlackDave said:
Get a DSi!
laugh.gif

Nah get whatever you want.

I'm switching back to my old black casing. I didn't have time to finish cuz I had to go to work. In fact I'm in break right now using McDonald's FREE WIFI
smileipb2.png
(You get the idea of where I work lol)
McDonalds WiFi sucks. The 3G on my phone is faster, damnit!

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys Console source sent me the chrome shell i was supposed to receive and Now I am trying to put the case back the together
But there's a problem

That little metal "ring" that the ribbons go through doesn't fit on the top part of the shell...it just won't go in.

I tried asking for help outside the forum but all I got was "That's what she said"
mad.gif

Help XD

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
BlackDave said:
Hey guys Console source sent me the chrome shell i was supposed to receive and Now I am trying to put the case back the together
But there's a problem

That little metal "ring" that the ribbons go through doesn't fit on the top part of the shell...it just won't go in.

I tried asking for help outside the forum but all I got was "That's what she said"
mad.gif

Help XD
Did it not come with one?

I know this is the DSi but on my DLS the original didn't fit properly in the new case, but it came with one that did fit. The original stuck out too much and made the case unable to fit together correctly.

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eye candy shells only comes with Buttons, top part screw covers (stickers), a screw diver, and the pads that cover the screws near cart slot.

no whatso ever screws or rings....

i used a ds lite one it worked i`ll post soon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.