Hacking dsi build quality?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I've had 3 different ds lites that all broke at the hinges and am really sick of it so i'm going to go hunting for a ds phat tomorrow.
though i'm thinking of getting a dsi sooner or later simply because of dsiware ans such(twiizers possible hack).
i just wanted to ask those who already own a dsi how is the build quality compared to the ds lite?
if it's gonna break in a similar fashion how the ds lite i probably won't even bother.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I dunno about durability, since I've never actually broken any of my DS's before, but the DSi certainly feels quite a bit nicer in your hands. It's probably to do with the way that it's a bit longer and thinner. The buttons are nice too, but it's sometimes hard to press the d-pad diagonally.

I noticed, though, that it's somewhat easy to scratch it...but they don't really show up too bad on my blue one, but I heard that it's a bit worse on the black ones.

Oh, and another random thing, there's a sort of metal spring inside the slot-1 that kind of pushes the card into the connectors a bit better...so that's kind of nice. (It's also there to cover the slot when nothing's there.)

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to disappoint you but I have some issues with hinges on DSi.. It seems a little bit loose but doesn't affect anything.. so far.. and it can be fixed through protectors such as crystal protectors.. It is anti-fingerprint too.. but with good protectors (screens, etc.) + utmost care.. it is far from breaking
smile.gif

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DSi is pretty sturdy, no fingerprints or anything major.
The only problem I had with it is that the stylus becomes pretty loose in the slot after taking it out and putting it back a couple hundred times.

nagareboshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wchill said:
The DSi is pretty sturdy, no fingerprints or anything major.
The only problem I had with it is that the stylus becomes pretty loose in the slot after taking it out and putting it back a couple hundred times.

Yeah, same problem I had with my DS Lite because the "nipple" on the stylus slowly wears off
biggrin.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what some of my family members tell me, the DSi is pretty sturdy, it doesn't feel prone to destruction, and it was a pretty sturdy build. Of course, there is the touch screen, you just have to take care of it, and not be too reckless about it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I think I remember reading something on GBAtemp about the screens being slightly misaligned, although that problem might have been fixed by now.

DOLwm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dolwm.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
It's fine for me too. Love the D-pad.

However like some others, my hinge is a little loose.
It doesn't affect the gameplay at all unless your tilting it in all ways as you play.

Anyone one has a little loose hinges?

tops2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My DSi feels solid. I don't have the problems that a few others have (loose hinge, not matching color screens, misaligned screens.)
I actually don't like the new button feel. The only DS I've had was the DS lite, and while its hard to do diagonals on the DS lites sometimes, I think its even harder for me to hit diagonals. I tried replaying Contra 4 the other day and it was hard. Maybe I just need to use it more and get used to it though. The games I'm playing currently is mostly stylus control (ie: finished up True Swing Golf & 3d Picross).

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jakob95 said:
My DS phat got 2 broken hinges.
opposite my old ds phat lasted a lot longer than my ds lite(s) did in fact it's still around i sold it to a friend when the ds lite came out and i got one of course i regret that now.
i tried to get him to sell it back since he has a ds lite himself now but he wont so i got to hunt one down.
maybe the ds lite is just to small for me i got big hands, that and i am a bit rough with my electronics so i need something really extra sturdy.
it's why i use backups on my wii and psx cuz I've literally destroyed some of my old originals my original ff7 disc's no longer work.
also why i finally decided to get a ds flash cart, that and there is no need to carry 12 or more original ds games around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter