Homebrew dsFont tool not working

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using a tool named dsFont in order to convert fonts to a suitable format to use in my nds homebrew game. I have tried using some of the built in fonts that are listed in the program, and converted them to a suitable format. However, when writing to text, it is not willing to appear on screen. I fear that I may have done something wrong during conversion, and I have tried redoing it multiple times.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• tFont.bmp
    37.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ds_text_test.zip
    674.7 KB · Views: 29

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see that there's empty first row in your font image, maybe you can fix with crop in any graphic editor. Also there's error in source code as it says.. your program creates layer 0 for text on screen 1, but next is trying to display text on layer 1 that doesn't exist, and max x,y for text is [32.24]. Also after any changes there's need to update from buffer to vram with NF_UpdateTextLayers();

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that there's empty first row in your font image, maybe you can fix with crop in any graphic editor. Also there's error in source code as it says.. your program creates layer 0 for text on screen 1, but next is trying to display text on layer 1 that doesn't exist, and max x,y for text is [32.24]. Also after any changes there's need to update from buffer to vram with NF_UpdateTextLayers();

So I tried going with a completely different font, but I did what you suggested, and cropped it to be 256 x 256, and have no missing rows. However, even then, it still doesn't show up on screen.

Attachments

• ds_text_test_edited.zip
    674 KB · Views: 25
  • font.bmp
    65.1 KB · Views: 27

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, i see, as for me there's something wrong in documentation of NF_CreateTextLayer. I guess third argument is not rotation but orientation (0 - horizontal, or 1 - vertical) 2 - gives nothing so it seems text doesn't show up.

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i see, as for me there's something wrong in documentation of NF_CreateTextLayer. I guess third argument is not rotation but orientation (0 - horizontal, or 1 - vertical) 2 - gives nothing so it seems text doesn't show up.

I think I've tried every number for the rotation argument, but it still does not seem to show up.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ok, it worked and it's working on my side, but i also added two lines that you had in your previous code:
NF_DefineTextColor(1,0,0,31,31,31);
NF_SetTextColor(1,0,0);
but It should work whitout it, maybe something wrong with palette file, idk.

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, it worked and it's working on my side, but i also added two lines that you had in your previous code:
NF_SetTextColor(1,0,0);

I don't even know at this point. I used the grit tool with the batch files so there really should be no way that the palette file is scuffed, but crazier things have happened....

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NF_SetTextColor(1,0,0);

Aight. Got it working. I was using a windows setup. I simply switched to a my laptop Ubuntu setup, and it worked. Even more reasons to love Linux :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse