DS_MENU.DAT, _DS_MSHL.NDS (desperate)

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by heatherfeilds, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008
  1. heatherfeilds
    OP

Newcomer heatherfeilds Newbie

Hong Kong
    i just got a R4 but i don't know what i need to make it work. firstly when i went to the r4 web site. i tried to follow the instructions but the r4 didn't even come with the cd. i don't have the _DS_MENU.DAT, _DS_MSHL.NDS and the moonshell folder thingy. currently i am clueless. if anyone is so kind to help me send all Those Necessary stuff to my email: glitteringshrine@yahoo.com so i can just download all the links you give me to my r4 will make it so much easier.

PLease Help i am sooo desperate

2. V!olaPlayer

Member V!olaPlayer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Look up videos on Youtube ;].

That's what I did. Trust Me, they'll help.

3. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    just download the kernel from producer website, extract files with winzip and move on microsd
    hope your r4 is original [​IMG]

4. heatherfeilds
    OP

Hong Kong
    i tried but it won't work. some of the files won't even load!! What should i do?

5. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sounds like you got a fake... watch out it might brick your DS

6. heatherfeilds
    OP

Hong Kong
    but my friend and i got it from the same shop but her r4 worked? maybe there is something wrong with my DS_MSHL.NDS file?

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I'll try and help right now - put your microsd into your pc and tell me what files you see

Sould have downloaded to your PC the "R4 v1.18 kernel" (4,724kb RAR file) from R4 official website http://www.r4ds.cn/
    When you open the RAR file, you will see a folder named "English". Click on that folder and you will seethe following:
    _system_
    moonshl
    _DS_MENU.DAT
    _DS_MSHL.NDS

Extract these files onto your microsd. Put microsd into R4 and put R4 into DS console.

8. kez1happy

Newcomer kez1happy Newbie

United Kingdom
    hi there im new on here as been searching the web for ages on info as how to do my R4 card too as this didn't come with a disc, i too am totally clueless and unsure what and how i do downloads what i need etc,please somebody help me lol.thanks.x

9. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Just download the latest R4 kernel and put it on your microSD card. It should work as long as your R4 is genuine.

10. kez1happy

United Kingdom
    well ive downloaded the kernal as stated off genuine website but once it downloaded and i clicked on it to open it doesnt???.just keeps going back on screen open/save/cancel file??.arghhhh!.x

11. 12elis

Newcomer 12elis Member

United States
    okay well all u need is the DS_MENU.DAT on the root of your card to access your R4. you dont even need to extract the whole entire kernel. just find that from the kernel folder and your set. as for moonshell, just patch it and put it on ur R4 and u should be good. dont worry about all the other stuff that comes along in the kernels. just get the DS_MENU.DAT!

12. kez1happy

United Kingdom
    am all sorted thanks what i needed was to download the "winzip" so that i could open the 1.18 kernel lol. its very easy once you figure it out lol.x

13. nicola-x

Newcomer nicola-x Newbie

United Kingdom
    hey, i cant get my r4 to work i have tryed what you have been sayin like download them but when i put it in my ds it just says loading and nothing else happens ,, any helppp ?

14. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Hmm, your cart is probably clone!
    So you'll have to find and download firmware made for that type of cart/clone you have..
    Try looking on the box for the site URL, and download the firmware from there, other than that, you can try formatting your microSD, and try copying it again..

MOVED TO R4 SECTION!

15. mehrab2603

Member mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh