Homebrew DS2x86 (SCDS2 Entry)

ma3str0au

Trophies
XP
Country
so XCOM... has anyone got this working properly with the latest version of ds2x86? It runs a lot more smoothly than previous versions but when it tries to change program (as in from Geoscape to Tactical) it locks up... you can still use the keyboard and everything but the next program will not load! Pate if you can help would really appreciate it as want to keep playing this excellent game on the DS!!

just wanna bump this so Pate doesn't miss it...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so XCOM... has anyone got this working properly with the latest version of ds2x86? It runs a lot more smoothly than previous versions but when it tries to change program (as in from Geoscape to Tactical) it locks up... you can still use the keyboard and everything but the next program will not load! Pate if you can help would really appreciate it as want to keep playing this excellent game on the DS!!

Yes, it works on my SCDS2. I remember landing in a mission without problem. Lemme test it again.

EDIT: Indeed, started a new game, brought down a UFO, went there, and everything started smoothly.

It's Pate's amazing work that makes me really sad that the DS doesn't have a screen with a higher resolution - I dream of perfect DOS emulation with 1:1 resolution, without zooming, streching and stuff :(

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a shame you're considering quitting, but I don't really blame you I guess. You're the only one left as it seems. Although the main reason I think is because you've been getting way over your head with getting Windows to work properly and based on what I've reading on your blog. It sounds like real painful work.
At the current state, I think it's pretty much gold and most of the stuff is already working great. Maybe just fixing some OP codes now and then so the stuff that works great, works even better.
But, the choice is entirely yours. If you think it's time to throw the towel, then so be it and I think you've done some amazing work on this gem over these few years.

Hat's off good sir.

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
hey pate,
i just read your recent blog post. i was curious what goals you reached with ds2x86? you said that you feel the ds/scds2 no longer has anything to teach you, but in regards to the program itself, do you feel it has reached its end or is there more that could still be done with it?

do you feel that the lack of user input and interaction is something that is driving you to leave ds coding? i've already seen it with many prominent ds homebrew devs, the lack of appreciation for their work has caused them to lose the drive to develop for the system. it seems like this may be a deciding factor for you as you mentioned the larger user base of android devices.

when the learning experience is over and then the appreciation wanes, it is difficult to set new milestones and convince oneself that there is reason to reach them. if you have come to this point with ds2x86, what about the original dsx86? are your plans to stop the future nds development of both?

at this point in the history of the ds homebrew scene we have lost almost everyone. it is inevitable that we would reach this place. losing you will be a major blow and it should start to put into perspective what smartphones and android devices did to to the ds. ds-mode gaming is still popular, hacking ds games is still popular, ds systems are still popular, flash kits are still popular, the discussions (help, guides, information) of flash kits is still popular. it is only homebrew that has disappeared from the equation.

regardless of your decision, i wish you the best of luck. you are a talented coder and an all around nice guy. i hope to see dsx86 on the OYUA via HDMI!

-another world

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a shame to read that, @[member='Pate'].

I do feel that DS2x86 is a great product, and even kinda finished on its own. It was a project so magnificent and large that it was incredible to even see it reaching the current point.

Porting DSx86 to Android is indeed a good idea. No Dosbox port currently reaches the speed DSx86 on a 8x more powerful device. Dosbox might be more accurate thanks to a larger codebase, but DSx86 is indeed faster on lower-power devices, and Android devices most certainly need that.

Thanks again for your awesome emulators.

ma3str0au

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes, it works on my SCDS2. I remember landing in a mission without problem. Lemme test it again.

EDIT: Indeed, started a new game, brought down a UFO, went there, and everything started smoothly.

hmm wonder what the issue might be with mine... it definitely used to work... maybe I should reinstall ds2x86 *shrug*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol