Hacking DS-X Downgrader

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(22:11:21) (DSX-Guru) i hope you guys know that the downgrader will kill 2Gb units

That is what he said.
smile.gif
I was there.
tongue.gif

QUOTE[10:26] im not here to market the product, or justify its price, or give support - i am here because you guys posted a downgrader that kills units
[10:27] but seems both shaun and costello are asleep
smile.gif

[10:27] so off I go
smile.gif

[10:27] * DSX-Guru ([email protected]) has left #GBAtemp.net

DS-X Guru

Part of the DS-X Team
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While I usually do not frequent these boards, and will not do so again in the Future unless something with an ill fate happens, please let me state the following:

The "downgrader" is un-official - We don't know what has been done to the firmware or the update tool itself that could cause issues. Thus we (DS-X) do not support it in any way.

WARNING:

Firmware 1.1.0 CAN NOT WORK ON 2GB UNITS! ITS WHY THEY SHIPPED WITH 1.1.1 AND WHY WE PULLED THE 1.1.0 FIRMWARE AS SOON AS WE SAW CUSTOMERS RENDER THEIR 2GB CARTRIDGES USELESS BY APPLYING 1.1.0!

I don't know yet if it will void your warranty, or what consequences, if any, the use of an un-official downgrader has, as I am not the only person to make this call on behalf of DS-X.

I recommend NOT using it at all for the time being, until we address it on our own forums or news blog and tell you, if there are consequences, what they would be. By then you can judge on your own what you wish to do, knowing the consequences if there are any.

Again, 2GB units are fully INCOMPATIBLE with Firmware 1.1.0, DO NOT USE IT!

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
While I usually do not frequent these boards, and will not do so again in the Future unless something with an ill fate happens, please let me state the following:

The "downgrader" is un-official - We don't know what has been done to the firmware or the update tool itself that could cause issues. Thus we (DS-X) do not support it in any way.

WARNING:

Firmware 1.1.0 CAN NOT WORK ON 2GB UNITS! ITS WHY THEY SHIPPED WITH 1.1.1 AND WHY WE PULLED THE 1.1.0 FIRMWARE AS SOON AS WE SAW CUSTOMERS RENDER THEIR 2GB CARTRIDGES USELESS BY APPLYING 1.1.0!

I don't know yet if it will void your warranty, or what consequences, if any, the use of an un-official downgrader has, as I am not the only person to make this call on behalf of DS-X.Â

I recommend NOT using it at all for the time being, until we address it on our own forums or news blog and tell you, if there are consequences, what they would be. By then you can judge on your own what you wish to do, knowing the consequences if there are any.

Hi DS-X Guru,

If you don't want to see this type of tool, just make a correct firmware . All your team is claiming that they do NOT support roms. This is a stupid decision but we can't change it.

So I suppose that the DS-Xtreme is only made for developement and homebrews. The problem is that the homebrew compatibilty is worser than R4 / M3 Simply DS (with 1.1.2 firmware, Beup and DSOrganize crash) . My question : WHO actually will choose the DS-Xtreme ?

- People like us will not because it's the most expensive and it's compatibility is poor
- People who only uses homebrew will not because it's not the best solution
- Developers will not for the same reason.
- Support is not existing.

I could add the DS-X 16gb which has a lot of problems but this is not the question.

DS-Xtreme is an excellent linker, but because of your choices, because of your bugged firmware, it's now the most hated linker.

I don't blame you especially, DS-X Guru
wink.gif

For now, I have just one thing to say : Make a good firmware or create an official downgrade tool
wink.gif

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The "downgrader" is un-official - We don't know what has been done to the firmware or the update tool itself that could cause issues. Thus we (DS-X) do not support it in any way.

WARNING:

I don't know yet if it will void your warranty, or what consequences, if any, the use of an un-official downgrader has, as I am not the only person to make this call on behalf of DS-X.Â

I have one thing to say to you and your team, Guru, that I apparently can't say on the DS-X boards:

Blow it out your collective asses!

To everyone else:

If you have a DS-X 512MB, downgrade to to 1.10. It was the last firmware that worked. Better yet, sell the moneysink and buy an R4DS or a Cyclo Evo.

Shuny

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
I have one thing to say to you and your team, Guru, that I apparently can't say on the DS-X boards:

To everyone else:

If you have a DS-X 512MB, downgrade to to 1.10. It was the last firmware that worked. Better yet, sell the moneysink and buy an R4DS or a Cyclo Evo.

Hmpf, you should learn diplomacy :-D Otherwise, I do agree
wink.gif

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

To everyone else:

Hmpf, you should learn diplomacy :-D Otherwise, I do agree
wink.gif

Heh... After months of all the crap they put us through, It felt really good. Happy Birthday to me, I say.

Anyways... Thanks, Shuny, for releasing this. I didn't think anyone had captured the old 1.10 binary packet from their site before they took it down.

Shuny

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Heh... After months of all the crap they put us through, It felt really good. Happy Birthday to me, I say.

Anyways... Thanks, Shuny, for releasing this. I didn't think anyone had captured the old 1.10 binary packet from their site before they took it down.
The update.bin file was in my recycle bin.
rofl2.gif

I was working for a 1.1.0 => 1.0.2 downgrader but I had no time
wink.gif

It's your birthday ? Happy birthday !
laugh.gif

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With my online savegames converter, we can convert every save from DS-Xtreme to M3 Simply
With my DS-X Downgrader, we can flash our card back to 1.1.0 firmware.

DS-X Team is going to hate me
unsure.gif

The support team (Guru/Dino) is going to hate you more than the dev team (Aphex/Chris). They're going to have a bunch of people screwing up their units, warnings or not. Of course, they already had a number of people screwing up their units with the official releases.

But as I've stated before, I think you did the right thing. I still have a v1.10 DS-X that I refuse to upgrade because v1.12 is garbage.

EDIT: Don't go with the 1.10 to 1.0.2 downgrader. 1.10 was actually a decent release. The 1.0.2 version had a bug that kept the LEDs on when auto-booting. 1.10 fixed that.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With my online savegames converter, we can convert every save from DS-Xtreme to M3 Simply
With my DS-X Downgrader, we can flash our card back to 1.1.0 firmware.

DS-X Team is going to hate me
unsure.gif

The support team (Guru/Dino) is going to hate you more than the dev team (Aphex/Chris). They're going to have a bunch of people screwing up their units, warnings or not. Of course, they already had a number of people screwing up their units with the official releases.

But as I've stated before, I think you did the right thing. I still have a v1.10 DS-X that I refuse to upgrade because v1.12 is garbage.

EDIT: Don't go with the 1.10 to 1.0.2 downgrader. 1.10 was actually a decent release. The 1.0.2 version had a bug that kept the LEDs on when auto-booting. 1.10 fixed that.
Care to tell me what's wrong with 1.12? Not that I'm saying your wrong or anything but to be honest, I haven't had any (new) problems with it.

And as for keeping the LEDs on when auto-booting. Uhh... that still happens with mine.

EDIT: My mistake, I forgot I turned them up a couple weeks back for some unknown reason.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Care to tell me what's wrong with 1.12? Not that I'm saying your wrong or anything but to be honest, I haven't had any (new) problems with it.

And as for keeping the LEDs on when auto-booting. Uhh... that still happens with mine.

The most noticable v1.12 change was that games took forever to save. There were other gotchas too, but the save issue was the worst.

(The LEDs shouldn't come on and stay on with auto-booting if you have them turned off (set to 0/0/0 for RGB), normally.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Another success story here. I reverted both my units to 1.1.0 with this, no problem. Even though, honestly, I don't use that piece of junk anymore. Worst flashcart I've ever owned. It's just nice that it actually works like it should now, should I ever get around to selling it.

Kurimu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Um... I downgraded from 1.12 to 1.10 and i own a 512MB/2Gb unit; before guru told us it would essentially brick it, should i leave it the way it is or up it back to 1.12?

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WARNING:

Stop being such a bitch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small