DS Visual Novel Reader v1.4.1

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Minox, Jan 17, 2009.

Jan 17, 2009

DS Visual Novel Reader v1.4.1 by Minox at 2:41 PM (4,855 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Minox
    OP

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    DS Visual Novel Reader v1.4.1
    Bugfixes
    [​IMG]
    DS Visual Novel Reader is a visual novel reader for the DS. The previous version had a bug in the saving code so this version was released to fix that problem among with a couple of other bugs.
    Bugfixes:
    [​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    So how exactly does this work?
    Does it play PC VNs on the DS?
    It did not give much info on the source site,
    so if any one could give me a better idea
    it would be greatly appreciated.

3. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    weby, it is a great homebrew application, it plays various Visual Novels... here's the ones that are currently supported:

Tsukihime
    Narcissu
    Anon's Nice Day
    Fate/Stay Night
    OMGWTFOTL
    True Remembrance

Above I liked to descriptions for the novels, mostly Wikipedia. I can't find a review for Anon's Nice Day, aside from saying avoid it if you aren't a 4chan person.

link

Some are good, some are hentai. True Remembrance is a bit slow going, but it's not H, so I'm enjoying the story. Here's how to use them...

Install VNDS folder on your card.
    Copy the visual novel files themselves and put it into the "novels" folder in the VNDS folder.
    If you want sound, copy those inside the specific novel inside the novelS folder.

Enjoy.

Make sure to save regularly, I have seen a couple nasty Guru Mediation errors, and losing like 45 minutes of reading is a pain. The transitions implemented in the next to last update increase the experience tremendiously, no longer do you have sprites flash in and out like they are dying in an old Mario game.

4. -GJ-

Member -GJ- GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Can you try to make it work with Kanon or Clannad?
    I'm gonna try Fate/Stay Night now [​IMG].

5. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Thank you very much jesterscourt,
    I was hoping it would work with Clannad or Choas;Head
    but thanks a bunch for the info.

6. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I'd just like to mention that Chaos;Head was one of the ports that the guy at Weeaboo might do, but Clannad/Kanon might not happen(he said he won't do them as he wasn't interested), but he said it was very well possible to port them yourself somehow(He also had a test version in a picture of his Visual Novel manager). But he did mention that he might do Planetarian(another Key VN) that runs on the same engine as Clannad and Kanon(REALLIVE).

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Not a problem, webyugioh. I think this type of homebrew should have more support. I am trying to figure out the logistics of migrating one of my interactive novels (html) based into this format, although there are no pictures and very little sound, so it might be quite a different experience.

I also wanted to add that for Fate/Stay Nite there is a voice package available (quite large, I think like half a gig), and it's in Japanese. Which didn't do anything for me, it actually made the experience more confusing, but I can see how some people would appreciate its inclusion.

8. Toaster Mage

Newcomer Toaster Mage Newbie

United States
    for the record, I(of digital haze) and anonl(of weeaboo.nl) are completely different people.
    I noticed a some sites seem to say we are the same person(which I am much too lazy to register(it seems I already registered here) and correct them about it).

As for the Chaos Head port, I`m just waiting for them to get a finalized patch out.

also, test version of Clannad was written by some unrelated person who I do not believe worked on it beyond that short demo.

9. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Sorry about that. I knew you two were different people but I got it mixed up.

Wasn't Clannad being manually typed out and that's why he stopped? Or so that was what I heard.

10. Toaster Mage

Newcomer Toaster Mage Newbie

United States
    I only assumed he stopped.

Though I am pretty sure I am right about it being ditched.

also, someone is working on Saya no Uta.