DS Undubs Galore

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by machomuu, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2011

DS Undubs Galore by machomuu at 2:30 AM (4,395 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. machomuu
    OP

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    So I don't know how many of you care, but starting today I'll be uploading several self-made undub patches to Filetrip for those of you who are to lazy to, unable to, or don't want to do it yourself (all of which are completely fine by me).

For those of you who don't know what an undub is, it is when you replace the audio of a game with different audio from the original version, in this case I'm taking games that are dubbed in English and replacing their audio with the original Japanese audio.

So far I have...
    *Removed*

And I do take requests. This includes games dubbed in languages other than English if you so desire.

2. Serephyx

Member Serephyx I need a better title. ™

Thats nice...and one question can you find/get me a Disgaea one? ;l

3. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    sorry to ask......
    but whats these undub patches for ?
    [​IMG]

4. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    it's to change the dubs from english to japanese.

5. machomuu
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I'll put a description in the OP.

6. Serephyx

Member Serephyx I need a better title. ™

Thanks Macho [​IMG]!

7. machomuu
    OP

United States
    No problem [​IMG]

8. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    What about a proper Rhythm Heaven undub? All the undubs of that that I've seen are only partially finished and don't include the remix levels as well. I keep going into remix levels and playing them, but having to quit because "YEAH YEAH YEAH!" and "I SUPPOSE!" make me want to kill myself.

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Undubs are disgusting. Excluding when it undubs like...french to put in jap audio like Tales of Eternia. Otherwise it tends to just be weeaboos bein' weeaboos all over a valid dub.

10. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I will honestly support the one for Suikoden Tierkreis. The dub in that game is absolutely horrid, and the game is littered with voice acting. For the short time I played it, I had to just shut off the sound the dub was so terrible. Other then that, I agree completely.

11. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    There are few dubs that are truly great. I don't support weaboo undubbing (just undubbing because Japanese), but if the English dub is horrible... Like all the stuff in Rhythm Heaven... It's not too bad, but it's bad enough that the Japanese dub is SO much better.

12. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The Mega Man ZX Advent dub makes me want to stab myself. Especially the voices of the soldiers. Too bad it doesn't have an undub as far as I know.

Generally I don't care if a game is in English or Japanese. As long as the voices are decent, it doesn't bother me.

13. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    I'll undub/read subs for everything.
    Eeeeeeeverything.
    English dubbed French things? Undub/subtitles.
    [Insert native language] dubbed English things? Undub/subtitles.
    Japanese dubbed English things? Undub...or I guess technically just watch/play in English.

I want the original voice tracks with the actual director there guiding the voice acting.
    It just sounds more natural and fitting, regardless of origin and dub language.

Skelletonike likes this.
  14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Nothing wrong to be a Weaboo, just let people do what they like.

And know that French dub are always crap.
    no intonations, monotonous speaking, no emotions, no good voice choice matching the character appearance. France just don't care.
    I prefer English or Japanese dub. even if you don't understand the oral discution, you get the intonation and emotions. only that is enough as long as there are subtitles of course.

I prefer Original Version for everything: Romanian for Avalon, Spanish for Pan labyrinth, English for US TV Show, Korean for my sassy girl, Japanese for anime/games .... It's just Original Work that matter, listening the way the producer decided is has to be.
    It's not weaboo, it's just caring for the original work.

@Machomuu :
    Thank you for uploading patches to a single place [​IMG]
    Edit: Though, read page 2 for copyright information.

There's a patch to re-dub Rhapsody: A musical Adventure to english (jp->en) to match the lyrics. (See, it's not weaboo, it's just aesthetic [​IMG])
    If you want I have it somewhere.

Though, I would love a sound patch to replace the cursor horrible resonating sound...
    It discourage me from playing it

15. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    how bout the professor layton games? i've seen on a certain site one for all three

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am not sure you can do this- the audio data from the Japanese roms is still copyrighted data.
    By all means make batch files to do it but patches containing data are a different matter.

As for the undubbing discussion I think if nothing else this is a classic case of "never ask why, just ask "why not?"".

17. qweasd123

Member qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I'm not native English speaker and I'm not a weaboo.
    And I watch movies/play games with original voices. USA games in English, Japanese games in Japanese, Russian in Russian etc.

Eng dub in DS games is horrible...

18. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yeah, it's the controversy of the patch.
    Few modified bytes in a single file is a patch, but if it contains a full different file or even a completely different ROM, it's like providing the ROM itself as it contains all the game, just not as a .nds file format but as a .xdelta file.

That's why there is tutorial on extracting/swapping/reinserting sound files for DS games instead of patches.
    Users have to get both version of the game themselves.

Do we have to forbid game patches which contains files replacement? [​IMG]
    Technically, it's a copyrighted file fully included in a patch.

So, maybe Machomuu should make tutorial with batch file replacement?
    - Extract both game versions to specific folder names
    - Run the batch which will replace the correct files for you easily
    - Repack the game.

19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    We already forbid CIOS wad files in favour of installers for almost identical reasons, seen as I can buy game audio and not that it changes anything if you found yourself in front of the beak but it is a fairly core part of the game and not inconsiderable time, money and effort are put into making them.

Going for the more abstract line of thought the patch probably contains near enough the entire presumably Japanese audio file- even if I stick a copyrighted file in a passworded obscure format and send it to someone I have still sent the copyrighted file.

Certainly I have this in mind whenever I hack audio in games- unless I am injecting my own content (or something I can reasonably inject) or I am hacking the file structure itself (repointing and such) I will leave it at detailing my methods and maybe making a batch file or similar.

20. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    um, how about i make a sort of undub request? not an undub per se, but more like updating the audio files. more specifically, i kinda desire a remastered audio for the title Infinite Space. just UP the volume, then re-insert. is that a valid request? i hope it is, because the volume on that title is just... i mean, i play it on a DSiXL, and even on headphones it's just... it's hush hush. i kinda want it BLAAAAAAAAH. well, not that much, but you know, audible enough to warrant turning down the volume a notch or two.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.