Hacking DS Touch Screen no longer pressure sensitive

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found out that that my touch screen is no longer pressure sensitive.
Didn't realize this until I fired up the "Colors" homebrew water painting app.
I have confirmed this to be the case, since I took my copy of colors and tried it on another DS and it worked just fine (no calibration).

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is warranty/Nintendo repair center my only choice (do they send out refurbs for replacements?)

Note: Games still work fine, so it may not be worth dealing with.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can find replacement touch screens all over eBay. They're pretty easy to install too. No soldering required, just unplug the old flex cable and plug in your new screen.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of the "calibration" feature within Colors itself is because different touchscreens are sensitive to different amounts of pressure. The fact that it worked on one of your DS systems and not the other confirms this. Just enter the calibration menu in Colors and perform the simple calibration.

Until the calibration menu was added, I was unable to paint anything other than very light lines myself.

Official games work because the ARM7 controls the touchscreen, and the ARM7 supplied by Nintendo that companies must use cannot determine pressure sensitivity, only whether a touch is registered at all or not.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of the "calibration" feature within Colors itself is because different touchscreens are sensitive to different amounts of pressure. The fact that it worked on one of your DS systems and not the other confirms this. Just enter the calibration menu in Colors and perform the simple calibration.

Until the calibration menu was added, I was unable to paint anything other than very light lines myself.

Official games work because the ARM7 controls the touchscreen, and the ARM7 supplied by Nintendo that companies must use cannot determine pressure sensitivity, only whether a touch is registered at all or not.
Negative on that. There's definitely something wrong with my screen.
I took two stylus's and applied pressure to two points right next to each other on the screen and my sensitivity was set again.
Afterwards, I tried drawing again; no luck. The sensitivity did improve, but it's hardly noticable, much less effective.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
I took two stylus's and applied pressure to two points right next to each other on the screen and my sensitivity was set again.
Afterwards, I tried drawing again; no luck. The sensitivity did improve, but it's hardly noticable, much less effective.

You will replace touchscreen because it has no pressure sensivity ?
I think that it would not be problem in any games.
If you really want to paint that much, buy the cheapest tablet, it will be propably better that best ds lite touch screen.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I'm confused. Did you do this in the calibration menu you get to from pressing Start? You press those boxes individually, not at the same time.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wait, I'm confused. Did you do this in the calibration menu you get to from pressing Start? You press those boxes individually, not at the same time.
I used the "colors" calibration.
The specifics:

Notice that one picture shows one stylus pressuring the screen and giving us a feedback of only ~100
Where as the second picture shows two stylus pressuring the screen and giving us a feedback of ~60 (the correct sensitivity).

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
You know why... It's ........ simple.. Sooooooo Simple.................

CUS OF THE CRAB PEOPLE!!
meh... Idiots!

Edit : First spam msg
biggrin.gif

Meh.. It happens to me too on my DS Phat actually , Soon I move to lite only cus of that!!! ... actually nope
tongue.gif

Amm just forget this thing.. Unless you really want colors...............................
blink.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I'm confused. Why would use two styluses like that? And why do you think 60 is the "correct" pressure? My DS Phat works fine with one box being 100 and the other 130 or so.

You're not trying to get the box down to a specific number; you're trying to tell Colors what your specific DS's pressure range is. If it's from 60 to 120, then so be it. If it's 100 to 105 then so be it.

The two styluses are probably messing up the calibration more than they're helping.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I'm confused. Why would use two styluses like that? And why do you think 60 is the "correct" pressure? My DS Phat works fine with one box being 100 and the other 130 or so.Â

You're not trying to get the box down to a specific number; you're trying to tell Colors what your specific DS's pressure range is. If it's from 60 to 120, then so be it. If it's 100 to 105 then so be it.Â

The two styluses are probably messing up the calibration more than they're helping.
Negative on that too, I've tried this on my old DS lite (which I sold to my friend), and other DS Lites. The pressure sensitivity doesn't register correctly on my brush strokes with 100 and 130 either.
Basically, a single stylus with one pressure point should yield around ~60 for the average pressure (high side).

Going to try and mess around with it again.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, a single stylus with one pressure point should yield around ~60 for the average pressure (high side).
Again, why do you think this? There is no "standard" or "average" pressure setting you should be aiming for. 60 is no more of a "good number" than 500 is. Just press relatively hard in the one box and relatively lightly in the other, and don't even look at whatever numbers you get. Don't try to press hard enough to get to a certain number, as that's the type of thing that IS going to break the touchscreen.

Perhaps your DS is messed up, yes, but I want to make absolutely sure this isn't due to user error.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Again, why do you think this? There is no "standard" or "average" pressure setting you should be aiming for. 60 is no more of a "good number" than 500 is. Just press relatively hard in the one box and relatively lightly in the other, and don't even look at whatever numbers you get. Don't try to press hard enough to get to a certain number, as that's the type of thing that IS going to break the touchscreen.

Perhaps your DS is messed up, yes, but I want to make absolutely sure this isn't due to user error.
I'm keeping an eye out for that myself. Don't want myself to start thinking that my DS Lite is dead
tongue.gif

Anyways, I'm just going to play games as usual with my friends and see what happens.

If the games work; then that's fine. I'll live without "Colors".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol