Gaming DS shoulder button woes

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times, but what's an effective way to make shoulder buttons on a DS of any kinds work when they become unresponsive or troublesome? And how would one prevent this from happening at all?

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Try exhaling at them, often solves it temporarily
wink.gif

Z

Zorua

You can't prevent it. They are just plain crappy. Blow into the buttons and put some water on a piece of cotton and run it through the edges of the L and R buttons.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Same problem thin the TS. I so hate that damn L/R shoulder buttons.

And yes, blowing through the hole helps. But, it always turn back to being crappy on a matter of hours.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I doused the button in alcohol? would that perhaps disintegrate the dust and what ever junk is in it?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you know how to disassemble the DS and get to the microswitches, then go to Radio Shack and buy some contact cleaner. Blast the microswitch housing and it should clean everything out nicely. I've brought a bunch of GBA and DS shoulder buttons back into action with the stuff. Note: there are some applications where contact cleaner w/ lubricating oil is appropriate, but this isn't one of them. Just get the one that contains contact cleaner only.

Insane_Cat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to prevent the buttons from failing, but I do know a great way to fix them once they're broken.
You need to blow on the buttons, but there's a specific way you have to do it. You need to open your DS and make a seal with your lips around one of the buttons. Blow out and you will be blowing air inside the system. This will get rid of dust and junk that are messing with the contacts of the buttons. This always works for me and it's a long time before you have to do it again. Short of taking apart your DS, this is the best fix for the button problem that I know of.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Is this a plain ol' DS or a DSi?
It's a DS lite, and I currently have it dismantled for some repair work. It does have problems with the R button, which is why I asked. Worst case scenario is that I have to replace the micro switch.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soulo.kun said:
And here i thought that the DS Lite's shoulder buttons can be repaired by a technician...
I'm not saying I can solder the micro switches. If it comes to that I'm screwed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...