coolalien10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I recently found my original ds again and started playing it but i have discovered a problem. It is fine when i first turn it on but slowly while playing for a long time the top screen slowly starts fading until it is hardly visible. The amount of time it takes to do this is about the equivalent of a race in Mario kart, so about three minutes. After this the screen goes into negative colours.

Reseting the ds puts the screen back to normal but then the problem continues again. It seems as if the screen is not getting enough current. I've looked on google but to no avail. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it have a Crack or something? This is what happened to my White DS lite it got a crack and now both of the screens don't work at all. Or maybe its because you pressed on your top screen a lot and broke a pixel or something..

coolalien10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are no cracks on it at all and the screen looks fine, no stuck or dead pixels.
DeltaBurnt said:
Possible solutions:

Whenever it becomes hardly visible try closing your DS (thus making your DS's screens turn off) and open it again.
This seems to work for a while but then it just starts again.
I think it seems like a power problem, i recently opened the ds to stop a button sticking and something may be short-circuiting to mean the screen gets less power. Do you think this could be the cause?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
coolalien10 said:
There are no cracks on it at all and the screen looks fine, no stuck or dead pixels.
DeltaBurnt said:
Possible solutions:

Whenever it becomes hardly visible try closing your DS (thus making your DS's screens turn off) and open it again.
This seems to work for a while but then it just starts again.
I think it seems like a power problem, i recently opened the ds to stop a button sticking and something may be short-circuiting to mean the screen gets less power. Do you think this could be the cause?
It could be, every now and then I drob my DS, and for a while it has simmilar problems.
Eg - Turning off, screen fading, random screen swapping.
But then it just stops...

I'd recomend going through the DS, and seeing if your ribbon cable (the legendary ultra breakable one) is broken, crossed or something else.
If that doesn't fix it, try buying a replacement screen.

If that doesn't work, keep it for parts (or sell them off individually like Playallday does) and buy a new one. Also remember to transfer your wireless settings.
If it does come down to this, DO NOT BUY A DSi AS THEY ARE A FAIL! Buy an orig (cheap) or a DSl (cheaper now the DSi is out).

coolalien10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antoligy said:
It could be, every now and then I drob my DS, and for a while it has simmilar problems.
Eg - Turning off, screen fading, random screen swapping.
But then it just stops...

I'd recomend going through the DS, and seeing if your ribbon cable (the legendary ultra breakable one) is broken, crossed or something else.
If that doesn't fix it, try buying a replacement screen.

If that doesn't work, keep it for parts (or sell them off individually like Playallday does) and buy a new one. Also remember to transfer your wireless settings.
If it does come down to this, DO NOT BUY A DSi AS THEY ARE A FAIL! Buy an orig (cheap) or a DSl (cheaper now the DSi is out).
One of the two tiny ribbon cables doesn't stay in very well as the plastic clip for it is broken on one side, i managing to keep it in place with a bit of sellotape but i'm not sure if that will affect the connection.

I think i will end up buying a new one off dealextreme. Is this one right for an original ds: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3189

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It looks OK, I wouldn't know as I have a DS Lite.
Try consulting some of the official ds guides.

And if you ultimately fail, then send it to "http://consoledoctor.co.uk" they're freaking awesome. If you don't believe me, I reviewed them at http://antoligy.com/reviews/

coolalien10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antoligy said:
It looks OK, I wouldn't know as I have a DS Lite.
Try consulting some of the official ds guides.

And if you ultimately fail, then send it to "http://consoledoctor.co.uk" they're freaking awesome. If you don't believe me, I reviewed them at http://antoligy.com/reviews/

Ok thanks for your help, that second link doesn't seem to work for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.