Nexthat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.

I'm new to all of this; But I have a cartridge with about 50 odd games, purchased from wherever and now I have the following error:

"error open xmenu.dat error!"

There was another post who had a similar problem, but it seemed as though this guy had the software and hardware to fix the problem via their PC, which I do not have,ableit PC only.

So if someone don't mind, can you explain what I need in terms of software and how to link DS to PC in order to fix this error.

I appreciate the help .

Many thanks.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What you've got is called N-Card (or probiably a clone of it)

Normaly it's sold with a GBA-Module, from which you can connect your PC with the DS.

xmenu.dat is a file which is needed on the card to start.

Before I write more, do you have that USB-Linker :x ?

Nexthat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately not.

I just googled it, but can you confirm that I require the following:

1x DS Linker (DS Cartridge sized)
1x USB cable
1x USB writer cartridge

After which, what do I do next.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, you need all three items to fix the problem. but to access the cart via a pc you need the other two items that you dont have so the next step would be buying these extra items.

Nexthat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so once I have this hardware do I do the following ( written from another post by Paul1991, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=68847 )

'...Go to gbatemps download section and find the 1.45 upgrade file. Paste ONLY the xmenu.dat to your card....'

I'm assuming that the upgrade file contains the xmenu.dat file which I can then drag and drop into the DS linker ?

Many thx so far for the help.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Nexthat said:
Ok, so once I have this hardware do I do the following ( written from another post by Paul1991, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=68847 )

'...Go to gbatemps download section and find the 1.45 upgrade file. Paste ONLY the xmenu.dat to your card....'

I'm assuming that the upgrade file contains the xmenu.dat file which I can then drag and drop into the DS linker ?

Many thx so far for the help.

Can't you just download the latest firmware and replace the existing one?

This is the latest firmware for the N-Card: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1479

Just download and replace. Read instructions carefully though, I don't own a N-Card so I can't be specific on what to do...

Nexthat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I can download the latest firmware if I don't have the DS Linker yet.

I was probably going ahead of myself, but this was too get all the info now so that I don't have to come back later and ask you more questions.

This upgrade you refer too though, is it something which after downloading detects the N-Card attached via the DSLinker and automatically updates the firmware.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
1x DS Linker (DS Cartridge sized)
1x USB cable
1x USB writer cartridge
Yes, so, the DS Linker you already have, you just must search for the USB cable and the USB writer cartridge.

If you just want to play Game-Backups, just try out the X-Menu.dat's from the different firmwares (every firmware has it own xmenu.dat... so you will have to try out them until one works)

If you want to play many homebrew, upgrade to the newest firmware.
(You will be able to play homebrew with older firmwares too, but there may be some issues.)

Why I tell you not to upgrade if its not realy needed ?:
Latestly there were people which broken their cards on upgrading, I don't know why, there seems to be some problems on the newest firmwares.

EDIT:
QUOTEThis upgrade you refer too though, is it something which after downloading detects the N-Card attached via the DSLinker and automatically updates the firmware.

You will have to press some keys, start a bat file, Format your Card, Copy all needed files~

Nexthat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last thing.

I noticed that there is something called the DS FIRELINK.

1) Which one out of the N-Card and DS Firelink is better in the long run ?

2) Which N-Card reader o ( i.e, USB Cartridge reader ( Brand )) would you recommend ?

Thanks.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1) They should be mainly the same

2) I never heard of any difference... As long as you dont play "Throw it against the wall" with it, it should work for a long time ^^

But btw. where do you think to get a reader only o_o ? Or do you want to buy a whole new pack~ ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-