DS Roms on Action Replay DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MegamanDSi, Oct 23, 2010.

Oct 23, 2010

DS Roms on Action Replay DSi by MegamanDSi at 5:16 AM (3,564 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. MegamanDSi
    OP

Newcomer MegamanDSi Member

Canada
    I think I have an idea to hack the ARDSi to make it play DS roms(commercial) well someone could make a save file eg. MARIO 64 US.duc
    that is hacked then the person goes to load and when he goes to load the game crashes and It says installing ARDSi Custom Firmware then when the custom firmware is installed
    Game away [​IMG]

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You can get an Acekard 2i from shoptemp, which can play ROMs and cheat on them, for $16.

So nobody's going to bother making a custom firmware for the ARDSi.

3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    "Where there is a will there is a way", goes the saying. Well, who would want to spend the time and effort to hack a $19.99 + tax device when you could spend $14.95 + no tax on an AK2i for the same results? (ROM dumps would be a lot faster on an AR I admit, but still not a good enough reason).

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Sorry... Doesn't really work that way.

You can't just add code to a random save file and have it execute upon 'crashing'.
    The games that DO have this happen (I believe Twilight Princess for the Wii is one example) work because there's an exploit in that game.
    So first you have to find a game that you can exploit and then have to customize the save the save to crash at the right time so that the injected code will execute and not just be ignored.
    While I'm sure most of the groundwork has been done (as injecting to and/or 'corrupting' a retail carts save I believe is most likely how the first DS flashcarts came about -- well before my time and I haven't bothered to look it up so I could be wrong), it really all boils down to why?
    Why do this when a fully functional flashcart can be bought for 1/4th the price of a retail game?

5. MegamanDSi
    OP

Newcomer MegamanDSi Member

Canada
    Couldnt it be went Mario jumps

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's. Uh.

That wasn't his point at all (in fact something like that would be even harder to do).

His point was that it's not just magic and you can't do this in most situations.

It's like finding buried treasure. You can't just grab a shovel, pick a spot that "looks cool", and dig up a treasure chest full of gold any old time you want.