Homebrew DS Roms on Action Replay DSi

MegamanDSi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I have an idea to hack the ARDSi to make it play DS roms(commercial) well someone could make a save file eg. MARIO 64 US.duc
that is hacked then the person goes to load and when he goes to load the game crashes and It says installing ARDSi Custom Firmware then when the custom firmware is installed
Game away
yaynds.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
"Where there is a will there is a way", goes the saying. Well, who would want to spend the time and effort to hack a $19.99 + tax device when you could spend $14.95 + no tax on an AK2i for the same results? (ROM dumps would be a lot faster on an AR I admit, but still not a good enough reason).

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MegamanDSi said:
someone could make a save file eg. MARIO 64 US.duc that is hacked then the person goes to load and when he goes to load the game crashes and It says installing ARDSi Custom Firmware then when the custom firmware is installed
Game away
yaynds.gif
Sorry... Doesn't really work that way.

You can't just add code to a random save file and have it execute upon 'crashing'.
The games that DO have this happen (I believe Twilight Princess for the Wii is one example) work because there's an exploit in that game.
So first you have to find a game that you can exploit and then have to customize the save the save to crash at the right time so that the injected code will execute and not just be ignored.
While I'm sure most of the groundwork has been done (as injecting to and/or 'corrupting' a retail carts save I believe is most likely how the first DS flashcarts came about -- well before my time and I haven't bothered to look it up so I could be wrong), it really all boils down to why?
Why do this when a fully functional flashcart can be bought for 1/4th the price of a retail game?

MegamanDSi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
MegamanDSi said:
someone could make a save file eg. MARIO 64 US.duc that is hacked then the person goes to load and when he goes to load the game crashes and It says installing ARDSi Custom Firmware then when the custom firmware is installed
Game away
yaynds.gif
Sorry... Doesn't really work that way.

You can't just add code to a random save file and have it execute upon 'crashing'.
The games that DO have this happen (I believe Twilight Princess for the Wii is one example) work because there's an exploit in that game.
So first you have to find a game that you can exploit and then have to customize the save the save to crash at the right time so that the injected code will execute and not just be ignored.
While I'm sure most of the groundwork has been done (as injecting to and/or 'corrupting' a retail carts save I believe is most likely how the first DS flashcarts came about -- well before my time and I haven't bothered to look it up so I could be wrong), it really all boils down to why?
Why do this when a fully functional flashcart can be bought for 1/4th the price of a retail game?
Couldnt it be went Mario jumps

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's. Uh.

That wasn't his point at all (in fact something like that would be even harder to do).

His point was that it's not just magic and you can't do this in most situations.

It's like finding buried treasure. You can't just grab a shovel, pick a spot that "looks cool", and dig up a treasure chest full of gold any old time you want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/VfCYZ3pks48