Gaming Ds phat: replacement touch screen overlay

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do computer sciences myself, but I ain't too happy tinkering with hardware at all... Anyways, since a year or so my ds phat's touch screen has gotten so scratched up that there are nearly holes in the overlay of the touch screen. It is perfectly playable though, even when touching something that is in a badly damaged area of the touch screen, but looking at the screen can be very hard because of this. What I'd like to know is:

a. How easy can I get the replacement for the overlay, or whole touch screen? Considering it's a ds phat, the parts might be hard to find
b. Will it be relatively easy to pull off?

FYI: I live in Europe, but I guess I have more luck finding a shop in the US, because you can get the majority of the replacement parts there.

Pictures (high resolution warning!):
IMG0062A.jpg

A close-up of my lower screen, apart from my hand, you can see some gey-ish stains. These are the damaged parts in the touch screen

IMG0063A.jpg

Full ds, the damaged spots are circled here

IMG0064A.jpg

Close-up of some damaged parts in the touch screen overlay

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS replacement parts are not usually that hard to find. Indeed http://www.console4fun.nl/shop/Nintendo-DS-Parts-c-528.html (never used the site and I would not be able to say I have seen it before).

Without seeing what goes with the thing I am not inclined to guess but as long as you watch a couple of videos doing whatever replacement you go for in the end beforehand and have them available during it should not be that bad.

shadowmanwkp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FAST6191 said:
DS replacement parts are not usually that hard to find. Indeed http://www.console4fun.nl/shop/Nintendo-DS-Parts-c-528.html (never used the site and I would be able to say I have seen it before).

Without seeing what goes with the thing I am not inclined to guess but as long as you watch a couple of videos doing whatever replacement you go for in the end beforehand and have them available during it should not be that bad.

Meh guesses are fine, I'm the one being a bit vague here, but that's because almost every case is pretty specific. After some thorough searching I got the right video on youtube by a pretty trustable source. The shop you linked to is actually based in the Netherlands so that's a big plus, thanks for the tip!

QUOTE(naved.islam14 @ Aug 1 2011, 08:37 PM) Please check Shoptemp.

..... Shoptemp only lists dslite touch screen replacements (well for the few first pages, I'm not gonna plow through 40+ pages). I also asked in the topic for a shop specifically because shoptemp does not warrant the legitimacy of the shops listed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shadowmanwkp said:
The shop you linked to is actually based in the Netherlands so that's a big plus, thanks for the tip!

Apologies if you had already met it and for obvious reasons it is not perfect but all I did for that was stick a "site:.nl" into the search- all results returned only from ".nl" sites.

Anyhow glad you were able to push forward a bit with your repairs, if you would like something covered in a bit more detail post back and I will see if it can be done.

shadowmanwkp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
The plastic shell of your DS Phat looks warped, why be?

Nothing wrong with it, could be the lens of my mobile phone, if they are too cheap they can warp the image a bit. It might also be cause because I had to put the ds at a certain angle to make the spots on the touch screen appear. The case looks quite good in RL, apart from some minor damage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E