• Views 5,498
  • Replies 60

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Blaze163 said:
I still the PSP Go is still going strong, eh? That to me represents a Virtual Boy level of fail. 136 units? I've sold more shoes than that this week. And I'm on vacation.
Holy shit, how much is one of your shoes? $200?

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't surprising I've been liking my PSP more than my DS these days. There's been way too much shovelware on the ds lately and there's been some killer titles on the psp. Besides everyone's saving for a 3DS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
ds have been outselling the lots of things anyway in this day and age anything outsell the failure that it is the psp

Well apparently the DS couldn't outsell the PSP in this day.

The DS is being rather phased out as the 3DS comes out and the PSP still has quite a few months before the NGP. March is looking amazing for it for North America and April is supposed to have some nice stuff too (I thought). Japan's been really liking the PSP a lot as well.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The PSP was a joke of a system, consigned to the dustbin of history with the Virtual Boy and Atari Lynx, in spite of what our resident teenage PSP zealot has to say. And Sony have failed to address any of the issues which plagued it in its sequel - quite the opposite, they've exacerbated them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
The PSP was a joke of a system, consigned to the dustbin of history with the Virtual Boy and Atari Lynx, in spite of what our resident teenage PSP zealot has to say. And Sony have failed to address any of the issues which plagued it in it's sequel - quite the opposite, they've exacerbated them.

Yeah, it's a joke system that outsold the DS.

You seem like quite the zealot yourself. All bark and no bite. It seems like every sensible gamer on this forum will admit the PSP is at least a decent system, with many people actually really liking it.

Joke systems don't sell 50+ million units and millions of copies of software and get great games. If you don't think the PSP has some great games then you're an idiot, plain and simple.

Elaborate on what was wrong with the PSP that they're not fixing on the NGP? Hell I don't even find anything wrong with the PSP, I think it's just a fine system.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
BlueStar said:
The PSP was a joke of a system, consigned to the dustbin of history with the Virtual Boy and Atari Lynx, in spite of what our resident teenage PSP zealot has to say. And Sony have failed to address any of the issues which plagued it in its sequel - quite the opposite, they've exacerbated them. The NGP will be Sony's last foray into the handheld market.
LOL.
A portable that sold more than 60 million of units (62 millions, actually, worldwide, being Japan where it sold the most) and has a great line-up of AAA games, being sold on a market where Nintendo monopolized and making people actually think if they'll buy one or another, is that your definition of failing? Let me say you suck on it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have to agree the psp not as bad as some people say....especially hacked.
tongue.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Elaborate on what was wrong with the PSP that they're not fixing on the NGP?

Trying to make a home console in your hands rather than a handheld console. It's a business plan that didn't work last time and won't work this time. A quote which has been attributed to everyone from Albert Einstein to Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Patronisingly telling Sony "Oh, look, it wasn't that bad. You sold some machines, if not games, quite a lot of machines actually! You made the most successful non-nintendo handheld, even if that's an accolade akin to being the world's best paraplegic juggler" doesn't really help. Sony are clearly disappointed with how the system fared in terms of the amount of the handheld market it gained and its general performance, as they've admitted at various points in its life cycle - even when it was doing well in some regions, it was lagging far behind in others.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Trying to make a home console in your hands rather than a handheld console. It's a business plan that didn't work last time and won't work this time. A quote which has been attributed to everyone from Albert Einstein to Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Patronisingly telling Sony "Oh, look, it wasn't that bad. You sold some machines, if not games, quite a lot of machines actually! You made the most successful non-nintendo handheld, even if that's an accolade akin to being the world's best paraplegic juggler" doesn't really help. Sony are clearly disappointed with how the system fared in terms of the amount of the handheld market it gained and its general performance, as they've admitted at various points in its life cycle - even when it was doing well in some regions, it was lagging far behind in others.

Nice useless quote shoe-in. Only jaded morons think that PSP games are trying to be like home console games. There's games that give a home console experience but definitely fit into my hands and work well for on-the-go.

Take Peace Walker for instance. It feels like a Metal Gear Solid game. It has an epic storyline that's actually relevant to the main series plot, gameplay elements from across the board of MGS games (like MGS4's system of combat, the general same stealth system from MGS onwards, and team building from Portable Ops). It feels like a home console game but it's snipped into missions to be more approachable on a handheld. Break out the system, play a mission or two on your morning commute, and then put it away.

Monster Hunter's rather the same. You can do missions in under 10 minutes or you can spend the whole 50 minutes (that's usually the average max time for missions) to really do some hunting. And if you had to play it in 10 minutes or less on your commute, you can do it again later to reap the land of all its resources.

You can do missions in Valkyria Chronicles II in a few minutes but it still has an enormous amount of depth to it and is a game you can easily sit down and play for hours on end.

As for sales, boo-hoo. Sales don't make a good system. The Dreamcast sold 1/6th or so what the PSP sold but is still nowadays regarded as a great console. The Gamecube sold less than 1/2 of what the PSP sold and again, it's considered a great system.

Your entire argument boils down to ill educated talking points from the Sony hater's memo book and the whole "sales = good system" argument.

I forget, but did you ever own a PSP and actually try it? Or did you get one, play a few games, cry about it, sell it, and now spend your time bashing a system you truly don't understand?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not about sales, but it is about games, and there is a casual correlation between the two. The problem Sony has is that it looks like if you've got a PS3 and a 3DS, you really have pretty much have any game you want to play available to you. So where does the NGP come in?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Nice useless quote shoe-in. Only jaded morons think that PSP games are trying to be like home console games. There's games that give a home console experience but definitely fit into my hands and work well for on-the-go.

Take Peace Walker for instance. It feels like a Metal Gear Solid game. It has an epic storyline that's actually relevant to the main series plot, gameplay elements from across the board of MGS games (like MGS4's system of combat, the general same stealth system from MGS onwards, and team building from Portable Ops). It feels like a home console game but it's snipped into missions to be more approachable on a handheld. Break out the system, play a mission or two on your morning commute, and then put it away.

Monster Hunter's rather the same. You can do missions in under 10 minutes or you can spend the whole 50 minutes (that's usually the average max time for missions) to really do some hunting. And if you had to play it in 10 minutes or less on your commute, you can do it again later to reap the land of all its resources.

You can do missions in Valkyria Chronicles II in a few minutes but it still has an enormous amount of depth to it and is a game you can easily sit down and play for hours on end.

As for sales, boo-hoo. Sales don't make a good system. The Dreamcast sold 1/6th or so what the PSP sold but is still nowadays regarded as a great console. The Gamecube sold less than 1/2 of what the PSP sold and again, it's considered a great system.

Your entire argument boils down to ill educated talking points from the Sony hater's memo book and the whole "sales = good system" argument.

I forget, but did you ever own a PSP and actually try it? Or did you get one, play a few games, cry about it, sell it, and now spend your time bashing a system you truly don't understand?
Yeah, who gives a F$%& about how many sales something gets...
Anyway nowadays people are too scared to get something without it being the most popular thing.
You need to actually do some research and what you think about it.
There are so many fanboys nowadays that are telling you different things that it's best just to not give a crap what they say.

EDIT: I am also sick of people saying that Sony are trying to make their handhelds like home consoles.
Everyone is acting like Nintendo sets the rules, THEY DON'T.
Sony are headed a different direction from nintendo, WHICH THEY SHOULD, it meens there is much more range.
What is so bad if it is like a Home Console though?
usually handheld games aren't as good as home console games, Lets compare Zelda Twilight Princess to Spirit Tracks
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
FireGrey said:
usually handheld games aren't as good as home console games, Lets compare Zelda Twilight Princess to Spirit Tracks
tongue.gif
Your point?

The ds force new style and new gameplay.

Well I won't agree that console games are better than handheld games because there are pros and cons to them all but Spirit Tracks was just really shitty. The terrible controls didn't help either.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
tongue.gif

Both are very good games.

Why does it matter if its on a home console? does that mean it's better? No, it doesn't.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
FireGrey said:
tongue.gif
Your point?

Not even half of the DS library fully utilizes the DS' capabilities for you to even say that.

Most just use the touch screen for menus!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
FireGrey said:
tongue.gif

Your point?

Well I won't agree that console games are better than handheld games because there are pros and cons to them all but Spirit Tracks was just really shitty. The terrible controls didn't help either.

Well I like them, both game and controls.

Rock Raiyu said:
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Feb 16 2011, 09:31 PM) QUOTE(FireGrey @ Feb 16 2011, 08:53 AM)
tongue.gif
Your point?

Not even half of the DS library fully utilizes the DS' capabilities for you to even say that.

And what proof is this?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rock Raiyu said:
KingVamp said:
FireGrey said:
tongue.gif
Your point?

And most of those games have an optional d-pad controls too. The DS definitely does not force you to use a new style of gameplay (except for some, but that was in the past); it merely gives you an opportunity to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs