Gaming DS Lite won't start

Limon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It has been 1 or 2 years since the problem started but recently I've wanted to get one of my 2 Ds lite back to life.

First I have this DS I got on 2009 that stopped working one day while I was playing. When I tried turning it on again it just turned on and then immediately off (screen blinks, green light flashes for a second and everything turns off). Tried taking the battery off, doing a factory reset. No change. I’m almost sure I’ve never dropped it – at least not a really important fall.

On 2013 my sister bought a second-hand DS Lite, whose buttons were harder, and so was the screen. She bought it from a shop and the console was so comfortably customized I just assumed it was in a really good state. Well. That console fell in water. Like, sank. Then I tried drying it and it wouldn’t turn on, not even the blink. Just black, as when it’s off.

One day I tried to fix both; did the factory reset at the same time (no special reason). No change. I was so desperate I tried switching the batteries and then the newest console was the one turning on for a second. First one just wouldn’t turn on. I have no idea about the broken part of each DS.

pressatoattack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so you made sure the batteries were good, that's a good 1st step. Did you open them up to make sure the cables were nice a tight to them?

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never known a DS to stop working while it was in play, had it been fitted in a new shell at some point?

You say the "screen" blinks, top or bottom? if just one screen blinks the one that doesn't flash needs replacing or as posted above needs the connection checking,

You could also try turning it on with the screen in different positions, if it starts working at any point that indicated the flex cable is most likely split.

Limon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Okay so you made sure the batteries were good, that's a good 1st step. Did you open them up to make sure the cables were nice a tight to them?

No I still haven't. I don't have the Tri-wing screwdriver to take the deepest screws. I would like to buy one in a local shop but I still haven't found one around my city that sells them. I thought about the Bic pen screwdriver trick but I'm not sure it would turn out well. If I can't get one nearby I guess I'll just order them online :(

I've never known a DS to stop working while it was in play, had it been fitted in a new shell at some point?

You say the "screen" blinks, top or bottom? if just one screen blinks the one that doesn't flash needs replacing or as posted above needs the connection checking,

You could also try turning it on with the screen in different positions, if it starts working at any point that indicated the flex cable is most likely split.

The one that stopped working while playing has never been "manipulated" aside from opening to the battery, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean about the screen. I tried different positions on both consoles with the old battery (the one that isn't damaged) and none worked :cry: With the old DS the bottom screen is the one blinking, and with the new one, it's the top one.

GooseWerks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those ribbon cables and connectors are SUPER finnicky. You'll have to snag a tri wing and reseat the screen cables or check that they're not cracked. If the screens blink that's an indicator that one isn't connected.

FarGt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, i also have a problem, my ds doesn't turn on also and im looking for a way to factory reset can you explane :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch