Gaming DS Lite turns itself off when using slot-2

Hipster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello fellow DS gamers,

I'm having problems with my DS lite. Everytime I use my EZ flash 3in1 to play GBA games the DS randomly turns itself off. It usually happens after a few minutes of playing. The weird thing is that this happens only if I actually play/push buttons. I loaded a GBA game and left the DS running... After two hours or so it was still on.

When I play NDS games on my Acekard 2 it does not happen (well, it happened two or three times, but usually I can play NDS games just fine even for hours).

I tried two 3in1 cards and it happens on both.

After some experimenting I found out that if you turn on the DS without the 3 in 1 card inserted, then insert it, the DS will shut off and on again (dunno if its supposed to be like that). Then I could play the GBA for a longer while. But it lasts only for a few plays before its back to the minute routine. Sometimes when it turns itself off you can't even turn it back on unless I remove the 3in1. And even if I plug the charger into the DS, the charging light would turn on just for a second (acts like a fuse is blown). I can charge my DS under normal circumstances.
I'm assuming that it has something to do with the Slot-2. Maybe the contacts got somehow messed up. I'm considering to replace it, but I could be wrong so I'm asking here what to do.
So please, help out if you can :D.

Reactions: 1 person

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
Hi Hipster. Welcome to gbatemp. First of all - nice and complete post. I think the same that something is wrong with contacts in Slot-2. You probablu blow to this slot and shake the console to be sure that nothing is stuck in DSL. Try some original slot2 game and if it not works properly replace whole DS or motherboard. If you are experienced with electronics you can take apart DSL and resolder contacts. Maybe soldeting poins do not make contact to motherboard.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest cleaning the contacts on your DSi. Get a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, dampen the swab, and gently rub the contacts in your GBA slot with it. Dry them with a second swab, let it stand for a few minutes, and then test the machine.

D

Deleted-236924

I'd suggest cleaning the contacts on your DSi. Get a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, dampen the swab, and gently rub the contacts in your GBA slot with it. Dry them with a second swab, let it stand for a few minutes, and then test the machine.
Because there's a slot-2 on a DSi.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Try some original slot2 game and if it not works properly replace whole DS or motherboard.
I agree with that. However, if it doesn't happen with official GBA games, then it's something with your 3in1. But since you've tried multiple 3in1s, then I don't know. Two having the same exact problem isn't exactly common.

gameqo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey .

Try some original slot2 game and if it not works properly replace whole DS or motherboard.

IT is worth

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think that maybe somehow that the slot 2 is drawing too much power forcing a shutdown...
The fact that it is sometimes happens using slot 1 aswell seems to say some kind of
power problem to me...

But I know nothing at all about DS insides etc :P

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar issue with my slot-2. I found an old game and applied audio/video head cleaner to its contacts then quickly inserted and removed the cart on the DS. It helped clean the contacts on the slot and allowed my 3in1 to work properly again.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Because there's a slot-2 on a DSi.

LOL! That guy obviously didn't read the thread... but Pingouin7 made my day!

@OnTopic It appears your DSL is damaged in one way or another, so I suggest trying to send it to Nintendo, (as crazy as it sounds) and see if they will fix it for free.
Make sure you take out the Flashcart! xD

Reactions: 1 person

Hipster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First off: thanks for the all the support.
Well I tried to shake my DS a little bit, because i also believed something like dust etc. caused a short and it was loose so it happened randomly. But guess what - now i can't even turn on my DS T_T.
Gotta open this thing up -_- and see if i can save it. Have to buy some Y drivers first.
Sending to Nintendo is not an option for me.

Kaoid

Kai
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a vid on youtube with a guy's ds would turn off if he pressed the y button. Maybe its motherboard damage or somehow the slot 2 cart is somehow short circuiting the ds. it could be the card itself and not the ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay