Hacking ds lite disassembly guide

Steevsee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. I would never have been game to open my DS Lite without it.

Also just wondered if it may be worth clarifying in the guide, the need to lift the small connector tab for the touchscreen. (Seems to be a lot of people breaking cables).
The touchscreen cable is actually fairly easy to remove and insert after lifting this tab.

jocelyn77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redundant said:
Ok I finally got the buttons working fine, however there seems to be a battery drain issue now. Could I have messed anything up inside that would affect battery usage?

i have the same problem. i replaced my case fine and everything works, but the battery seems to drain really fast. i fully charged it yesterday, and i probably played it since then about 2-4 hours at the most on the 3rd brightest setting, and its already "red". and i dont think it even takes an hour to fully charge! i just noticed this problem today, even though i changed the case about a month ago. is it something wrong with the internals, or is it just the battery?

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the comments.

zannyuk:
as Toni Plutonij has pointed out, in order to replace the portion of the case where the break occurs, you will need to disassemble the entire system. sorry mate.

haringtonl / Monochrome:
the server for my older provider died, so I've lost that guide. use the one that I wrote for gbatemp.net (it's much more detailed and complete
happy.gif

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240

jocelyn77:
I've never heard of anyone experiencing faster battery drain after replacing the shell. the only thing that I can thing of is that you may have somehow gotten a stray piece of metal lodged somewhere on the pcb that is shorting out the battery somehow. as most of the parts are plastic (which is non-conductive), you may want to check for bare spots on either the wi-fi or microphone wires leading to the pcb since that's the only place that I can think of otherwise that may be potentially grounding out your system on the inside.

additionally, check the metal shield that sets between the pcb and the gba slot to make sure it's not bent and touching something that it shouldn't be.

the design of the ds lite is much better than the original ds with regards to the displays, so contact from the metal frame surrounding the displays shouldn't occur (but again, it's another place to check).

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my L and R triggers are both broken...as in they don't work unless i press super hard, applying the pressure from out in...which is really annoying...does anyone know how i would go about fixing it? i'm assuming i'll need to take my ds apart...

Qith

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the guide! It would've been a lot harder to swap my onyx black case for a translucent one from DX without it, great job. The console looks awesome now, though I did accidentally break off part of the power button (not the part that goes in the casing, but the part that's on the board itself). I already ordered a new button from DX, so I'll solder that on and be extra, extra careful when I put it together this time D': . Also, the case doesn't really fit perfectly, but I can live with it since it looks so freakin' awesome
laugh.gif
. Thanks again!

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'll unpin this until someone can find a suitable replacement thread (preferrably one that was similar to the OP's - if you saw it whilst it was up of course).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later