Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Employee: 'You know, all those dirty pirates and mean hackers are working on putting DS ROMs on our consoles...'
Other Nintendo Employee: 'Ooh! Ooh! Let's do all the work for them!'
LMAO

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Employee: 'You know, all those dirty pirates and mean hackers are working on putting DS ROMs on our consoles...'
LMAO
Unless proven otherwise, this seems to be the same as Advance Wars, which was a DS game ported to DSiWare. It's not possible to inject DS games to it.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless proven otherwise, this seems to be the same as Advance Wars, which was a DS game ported to DSiWare. It's not possible to inject DS games to it.
It's a joke. But who knows? Maybe they actually did do the work for us.
BTW, I know ARM9 functions as the backwards compatibility processor, but DS games are ARM7. How do DS games run?

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. In other words most Pokemon games are simply too large (maybe Diamond and Pearl?). That assumes we can find a way to port the DS games to DSi.
Yeah, baby steps.

If it's ever possible, next goal would be either to eliminate that restriction, or find a way to install DS/DSiWare onto the SD card, rather than the NAND.

Reactions: noctis90210

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO

At this point, they probably don't care. They're simply looking to find a way to pull in more money from games they've already sold to people.

Reactions: Swiftloke

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
At this point, they probably don't care. They're simply looking to find a way to pull in more money from games they've already sold to people.
Considering the 3DS is becoming EOL anyway (with their NX coming out soon, and the only real major game left for the 3DS being Sun and Moon), this seems the most likely answer. It could also explain why they haven't bothered doing much against arm9 yet. (Although that might also be due to the lack of freehax, which limits the amount of users that can get CFW/homebrew.)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Considering the 3DS is becoming EOL anyway (with their NX coming out soon, and the only real major game left for the 3DS being Sun and Moon), this seems the most likely answer. It could also explain why they haven't bothered doing much against arm9 yet. (Although that might also be due to the lack of freehax, which limits the amount of users that can get CFW/homebrew.)
They can't really patch arm9loaderhax though.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
They can't really patch arm9loaderhax though.
Hardware revisions? And maybe I wasn't too clear there, I meant the current entrypoints to the HBC/CFW. They haven't updated the NATIVE_FIRM for quite a while now, and it most certainly is taking longer, considering the timeframe we had last time there was a downgrade option.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be possible to have some type of DS-mode CFW running using A9LH before any FIRM starts? If it were possible to have the ARM9 and ARM7 running while the ARM11 is still up maybe there would be a way to mitigate having to negotiate ARM7 for sdmc access. Sounds like it requires reimplementing a custom TWL_FIRM, although even a very basic ARM9 DS-mode loader would be impressive

Last edited by chyyran,

zetaPRIME

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARM11 is still up in TWL mode, but almost entirely disconnected from FCRAM from what I've heard; it handles actually drawing the DS framebuffer to the screen (and probably translating touch events, given scaling modes?) but not much else.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have recently replaced the TID in some DLP demo roms, with some found in the DS Cart Whitelist. This is to get them working in HOME Menu.
To see what is changed, look at the "LAST MODIFIED" date. If some are still not working, let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end