Hacking DS Hacking Noob seeking help

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey everyone. i'm wanting to get into DS hacking. i've looked for tutorials but i'm completely new to ds hacking. my wii has been hacked for some time now, so if any knowledge from that carries over to ds hacking, cool.

from what i understand, all i need is an r4 card. is this correct? what is a good r4 card? how is emulation on ds? any help would be greatly appreciated

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
> Tutorial Forum Rules
This forum is used for the GBAtemp Tutorial Competition.

Before posting a topic in this forum, please read the topic linked above and make sure you understand the rules and conditions of the Competition.

Any topics that do not follow the rules of the competition will be removed.
Right above the section...you are posting in the wrong one, but to answer your question, all you need is a "flashcart". A good "flashcart" depends on what your goals are. There are threads for that, just search for them. Emulation on the DS is "mediocre" to "not good".

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok well if any mods are reading this, i sincerely apologize, and please move this thread. and what's a good flashcart? where's a reliable website for ds like wiibrew for wii?

and as for my wants, i wanna play gba, snes, and ds games as well as media files and browse the internet. i understand flashcarts can't play gba games (well, ds cart shaped flashcarts. slot 1?), so should i get a gba cart flashcart as well?

SlickGate

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.slickgate.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
dylanlanphear said:
ok well if any mods are reading this, i sincerely apologize, and please move this thread. and what's a good flashcart? where's a reliable website for ds like wiibrew for wii?

and as for my wants, i wanna play gba, snes, and ds games as well as media files and browse the internet. i understand flashcarts can't play gba games (well, ds cart shaped flashcarts. slot 1?), so should i get a gba cart flashcart as well?

The supercard dstwo fully meets your requirements.
QUOTEplay gba, snes, and ds games as well as media files and browse the internet.

Well, I am sure only supercard dstwo can do it.
As for the gba games, since the SCDS2 have a built-in Cup or something like that , it can run gba games (though some games not in a full speed.)

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
dylanlanphear said:

To browse the internet you have to have either a DSi or the official Nintendo browser and memory pack for DS or DS Lite. However web browsing on the DS is poor at best.

As SlickGate said the Supercard DSTwo is your best bet as it has it's own GBA and SNES emulators and a Media player all of which use it's built in extra RAM and CPU however it is expensive and do make sure you get a good quality, fast Micro SDHC card.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how's the r4 ds revolution? from what i've read it seems to be pretty good for ds games, and it's dirt cheap. will it run a media player?

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
dylanlanphear said:
how's the r4 ds revolution? from what i've read it seems to be pretty good for ds games, and it's dirt cheap. will it run a media player?
There are a million and 1 so called R4 revolutions on the market. Some are good, most are poor. If you want a cheap card that has superb NDS game compatibility buy an AceKard2i.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone second his acekard 2i recommendation? anyone object? and do you have to format the sd to acekard's filesystem? i'd rather have a card that runs on fat16/32. and does it have sdhc support?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dylanlanphear said:
anyone second his acekard 2i recommendation? anyone object? and do you have to format the sd to acekard's filesystem? i'd rather have a card that runs on fat16/32. and does it have sdhc support?

I second his acekard 2i recommendation.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the r4i gold and acekard2i are looking the best to me at the moment. do either of them run on fat?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I second the PSP recommendation....Oh, it wasn't recommended. Well that is what WOULD be recommended for portable emulation maybe...For just normal NDS games, probably one of those Wood compatible flashcarts or an Acekard if you want to keep to the cheaper side of things...more expensive flashcarts are...well more expensive.

-edit-
All flashcarts run on the DSLite and DSPhat.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and is there any software tricks i should know? like how the wii has ios's and the trucha bug and all that good stuff

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, sounds easy. r4i gold or acekard2i?? both are like the same price. and should i order from shoptemp?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you are choosing between an R4iGold and an Acekard, practically EVERYONE will recommend an AK over any R4 clone. As for ordering, shoptemp only has listings of shops that sell flashcarts (sort of like a flashcart shop database). You can look around the forums for reviews and stuff pretty easily.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ah, crap, I skimmed your second post.

GBA emulation on slot-1 is a no-go, and SNES emulation is spotty at best, I really recommend a PSP for portable emulation, it's miles above what the DS can do. Yes if you want to play GBA games you'll need a slot-2 (GBA slot) flash cart in conjunction with a slot-1.

Any DS flash cart will run on the original fat one, no software tricks (you only need to worry with the DSi/3DS, and those are minor worries compared to the wii).

Shoptemp doesn't sell stuff, it categorizes and holds reviews and info on shops.

R4i Gold or Acekard 2i is your choice, both have constantly-updated software to run DS games.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i've seen a slot-2 3-in-1 gba cart but it looked like it only fits a ds lite. is there one for ds and ds lite? like the size of a regular gba cart? is it a good cart? i don't really need rumble

Posts merged

and just to be clear, slot-2 gba isn't emulation, it's just running backups, right?

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and someone answer my file system question please. it seems the acekard2i doesn't need a formatted sd, but i don't know

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
dylanlanphear said:
ok i've seen a slot-2 3-in-1 gba cart but it looked like it only fits a ds lite. is there one for ds and ds lite? like the size of a regular gba cart? is it a good cart? i don't really need rumble

Posts merged

and just to be clear, slot-2 gba isn't emulation, it's just running backups, right?
For a DSPhat, you want to try looking at the EZIV IIRC (one of those ezflash products anyways). And just to clarify, yeah it isn't emulation.

-edit-
Format of the microSD is either FAT32 or FAT16...It doesn't REALLY matter which you choose, though generally people use FAT32 since it IS default.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson