Hardware DS games on 3DS. What's your impression?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
After messing around with the 3DS and some 3DS games, i decided to play some (original cart) Pokémon White on it

Men was i suprised how bad DS games look on the 3DS, so i decided to grab a few DS games to be sure it wasn't the game.
Damned, I will not play DS games on my 3DS! the look way better on a Phat DS/DSLite/DSi/DSi XLL

Just compare some games with lotsa txt in it, you will notice how the txt looks a bit washed out on 3DS, If you still have your DS, just compare the same game on it

So i wonder how DSiWare games will look on it? must be terrible if the are not 3DS optimized.
Lucky i didn't buy the 3DS to play DS games, it's a nice feature, but i will only play 3DS games on it.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Slyakin said:
Oh, I meant playing in DS resolution.

When you start a DS game, hold start and select.
I tried that and DS games look better with the original resolution, but it gets really small. And still the colours look washed out.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
I wonder if this is something that can be improved with updates.
Probably. They just need to figure out some software re-optimization for DS visuals. Now I'm interested in seeing how the already poorish visuals in the first Ouendan look. (The game is still awesome though so it won't matter.)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My overall impression is DS games are best played on a DS.
The 3DS can play DS games but not to their best, the power-saving mode can cause noticeable fluctuation of colours, and the circle-pad felt weird playing pokémon black, like it was difficult to move where you wanted on the tile based system.

The display is a lot, lot better though if you disable power-saving, colours won't look nearly as washed out.

CircusMaximusBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Oh, I meant playing in DS resolution.

When you start a DS game, hold start and select.

actually you only have to hold select , ds games look fine to me then again i dont have a normal ds to compare

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some games are good!(just try some Nintendo games)

But some look okay, the rest BLURRY! But I am used to blurry since I played Black on it for 3 hours!

Skawtz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really see what the big problem your seeing is. Sure it looks a tiny bit blurry but it sure isn't that bad. I can read text, see pictures do exactly the same stuff as i could on my DSLite. My only niggle is when you hold down start + select then boot up the game to get the normal resolution both screens seem like tiny squares.

I'm completely satisfied with playing DS games on my 3DS and will continue to do so. Been playing through diamond and soul silver again to get some more poke'mon to transfer to white.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Well this is depressing. I don't have an original DS but I bought pokemon white to go with my 3DS preorder cause I hate the launch lineup
frown.gif

Maybe if I don't know the difference I won't notice

redsmas

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is that it is using anti aliasing, rather than leaving it bitmap.

Also is it me or is that original resolution a bit smaller than it should be.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
redsmas said:
The problem is that it is using anti aliasing, rather than leaving it bitmap.

Also is it me or is that original resolution a bit smaller than it should be.

I think the term you were looking for is bi-linear filtering, which is smoothing/blurring an image/texture. Anti-aliasing is a term for reducing jaggies in polygons.

trev1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
can anyone confirm the fact that when using a flashcart the roms are smaller in the screen on top...a friend told me that when using the dstwo they are scaled smaller....?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trev1 said:
can anyone confirm the fact that when using a flashcart the roms are smaller in the screen on top...a friend told me that when using the dstwo they are scaled smaller....?
No. Flashcarts act exactly the same as regular carts (I think) and only have the sides cut off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm