Gaming DS Games of the Month: September 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THE DROUGHT IS OVER. That's right people: Lots of games worth playing this month. HOORAH.

You can read the Wii version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Duke Nukem Forever was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Pokemon Black and White

Developed by: Game Freak
Published by: Nitnendo
Release date: September 18th (Japan)
Genre: RPG
My Hype Level: Do want, but not until it's translated (whether it be through fans or localization)
GBAtemp Hype Level: FLOOD GBATEMP! OUR COMPLAINTS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!

Pokemon-GENERIC_DS_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg

IGN are lazy shits and don't update their images, deal with it.

Now now now, Pokemon is Pokemon. Despite being the same thing over and over again, I still find myself playing it and enjoying it over and over again. Something about that monster collecting and turn based battling gets me hooked. This is the newest in the main series and looks to change things up. Well, not really. Just maybe make it look a little fancier and add some new mechanics (like they always do) but it's still Pokemon at its heart. Prepare for the flood of anti-piracy and translation request threads. Promote me to moderator and I'll deal with it.
wink.gif

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Developed by: Level-5
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: September 12th (America)
Genre: Puzzle
My Hype Level: Not my genre, but I appreciate the effort
GBAtemp Hype Level: It's Layton, they always want.

Professor-Layton-and-the-Unwound-Future_nDS_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg

Again, IGN, lazy shits, deal with it.

Layton games just aren't really my type. I've tried 'em, got bored of 'em in an hour, and deleted them off my cart. Still, they're not bad games, just not my type of thing. And it's nice to see such quality work come for the DS that I can't blame 'em. It's a game I'll agree to disagree with. It's not bad, just not my type of thing.

Okamiden

Developed by: Capcom
Published by: Capcom
Release date: September 30th (Japan)
Genre: Action Adventure
My Hype Level: I'd like to try it, but in English
GBAtemp Hype Level: DO WANT

Okami-Den_DS_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg

I feel like I'm one of the only people who didn't like Okami. Maybe I have a bad impression from playing the Wii version (NTSC version) and not the PS2 version. But I just found the game boring and the controls very fidgitty. Still, this game looks to be better in terms of controls with a stylus controlled paint brush and hopefully button-based combat. Unfortunately, unless it has enough English for me to understand the game, I want bother with it until it comes out overseas.

Etrian Odyssey III

Developed by: Atlus
Published by: Atlus
Release date: September 21st (America)
Genre: RPG
My Hype Level: Haven't tried the first or second, they seem too old for me
GBAtemp Hype Level: WE LOVE ETRIAN ODYSSEY

eo_3_drownedcity_dsboxart_160w.jpg

I haven't really bothered playing Etrian Odyssey I or II, they just seem to old for my tastes in terms of mechanics. But they have gotten a popular following and I guess I should try them once I run out of stuff to do. Still, this seems eager to please fans of the first two, so gobble it up!

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Developed by: WayForward Technologies
Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
Release date: September 7th (America), September 24th (Europe)
Genre: Action Platformer
My Hype Level: Classic 2-D sidescroller looking, do want
GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably not as interested unless you're Hadrian

Batman-Brave-and-the-Bold_US_rated_NDSboxart_160w.jpg

I was never into comics or even superhero cartoons as a kid, but nowadays I've been more interested in superheroes in general. And Batman: The Brave and the Bold (based off the recent cartoon) looks to be just that: a classic superhero video game, retro in all its glory. Being only a Wii/DS game means it should have plenty of effort into it (I hope), and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions

Developed by: Griptonite Games
Published by: Activision
Release date: September 7th (America), September 10th (Europe), September 29th (Australia)
Genre: Action Platformer
My Hype Level: Web of Shadows reskin, meh
GBAtemp Hype Level: DS version, meh

Spider-Man-Shattererd-Dimensions_NDS_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

Expect this to be like a Web of Shadows spiritual sequel. Same dev, same superhero, obvious choice. But I'm getting sick of Griptonite's DS games. Some of them were fun like Assassin's Creed II, Web of Shadows, hell even Iron Man 2, but using the same gameplay formula with a slight difference for every game is getting really old. Probably won't be the worst game you've played but it definitely won't be anything new.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

Developed by: Cing
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: September 17th (Europe)
Genre: Adventure/Mystery
My Hype Level: I'll probably piss myself with excitement. Yeah, I'm fucking hyped.
GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably like a sexually satisfied woman. They will shout "yes," in a pure orgasmic tone when its dumped.

Last_Window.jpg

Written by emigre, thank you
smile.gif

Hotel Dusk was a film noir, mystery game released three years ago. And it proved to to a critical success as, we played as ex-cop Kyle Hyde on the search to discover his former partner. Last Window is set a year after HOtel Dusk and this time, Kyle really is in the shit. He's lost his job and and possibly his apartment, so as you can imagine he's feeling like shit. However his fight against impending homelessness take him to Cape West. An apartment block which may hold some answers about his father's death.

Other titles

- Tetris Party Deluxe: 9/3 (Europe)
- Dawn of Heroes: 9/7 (North America) (but this game is ALWAYS delayed)
- One Piece: Gigant Battle: 9/9 (Japan)
- Rune Factory 2: 9/9 (Australia)
- Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest: 9/14 (America), 9/15 (Australia)
- My World, My Way: 9/16 (Australia), 9/17 (Europe)
- Need for Speed: Nitro-X: 9/20 (North America)

Overall Summary

We've needed this. A DS month full of not maybe one or two worthwhile titles, but a whole shit load of them. We haven't had this good a month since March. It feels good, man.

Next month ain't too bad either. Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light gets English-ized, a new Pokemon Ranger is out (no thanks), we have, of course, Super Scribblenauts, not to mention The Sims 3, Rock Band 3, and The Force Unleashed II.

Have a nice September!

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hmm... I'll probably play Pokémon even though I'm not too into it, i just want to get better @ japanese and since it has a relatively simple script, and Proffessor Layont
wub.gif
Also it's pretty obvious IGN wouldn't have the boxart for Pokémon, it hasn't been revealed, we've only seen the japanese one.
Oh and what are Batman's wifi capabilities?

D

Deleted_171835

Great month!
I'll play Pokemon Black and White when it gets a fan-translation. Etrian Odyssey III looks interesting! Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is my favourite for this month. I can't wait!
yay.gif

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon.... POKEMON OMG OMG, I love the gbatemp levels. It's gonna be a good month and I'm gonna be 60 bucks poorer. Etrian and importing pokemon. THanks for the info. Didn't know about Etrian

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, to be honest, the only DS release I'm eagerly looking forward to is Golden Sun.

I hope that's still coming out for DS, but I wouldn't mind if it got delayed to be a release title for the 3DS
biggrin.gif

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic! I'm defiantly gonna be getting Batman, Professor Dayton, and Etrian Odyssey.
Spider Man should be a fair bit of fun as well.
May grab Okamiden, probably gonna just wait for it in English though.
tongue.gif

Whether or not I get Pokemon, I am looking forward to the noobstorm that is sure to follow its release.
laugh.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Shattered Dimensions is like Web of Shadows on the DS, I'll play it. I loved WoS.

Pokemon: Excited

Layton: I haven't beaten the second yet :

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
PanzerWF said:
Eh, to be honest, the only DS release I'm eagerly looking forward to is Golden Sun.

I hope that's still coming out for DS, but I wouldn't mind if it got delayed to be a release title for the 3DS
biggrin.gif

That'll be out in all regions this year, actually. HMV have it down as a November 26th release here in England, so I imagine the American and Japanese releases will be around the same time as well.

Anyway, September's line-up has a few games I'm looking forward to. I'm importing Pokémon White and grabbing the ROM for Pokémon Black, since there's supposed to be a lot of differences between the games but I'm not really interested in buying them both in case the differences aren't as numerous as we're told. I'm not entirely sure about Professor Layton, though. Okamiden and Etrian Odyssey 3, however, will be amazingly fun. Can't wait.

Seems I'll have plenty to tide me over 'til Golden Sun comes out even if October is full of fail, at any rate.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely will play Professor Layton 3, and I might try out okamiden. I'll probably play a bit of pokemon once the anti piracy is broken, but most likely, I'll just dick around in it and play with friends and compete to see who can get the furthest.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wooot!
biggrin.gif

thats what i want to say.... though i cant afford to slack off this year in school
dry.gif

pokemon, layton, NFS? and one piece?
ohmy.gif

crud.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
thats what i want to say.... though i cant afford to slack off this year in school
dry.gif

The only time you can't afford to slack off is when you're near failing - how are you doing so badly already!? It's not even september!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/iqu132vTl5Y?si=MZw4KpDtlawLZNEF