Hacking ds freezing with "popping sound"

jiyabil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi. i need help. i will try to explain this as clearly and as detailed as i can. my ds freezes occasionally and when it does i hear only one popping sound, after that is silence. the screen is still on but frozen. im using an r4 and using the r4 wood firmware. i know i posted a similar topic on this. i thought i got the help i needed but i still have the same problem. please help me

NinjaxFoote

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The popping, can you tell if it's your speakers or not?
If not, it may be the sound of something like a circuit relay popping.
If so, if you're good with soldering then you could open up your DS and feel of each chip to find which one it is.
I've not opened up and looked at a DS, so I wouldn't know for sure.
I googled it, but couldn't find any schematics on it's circuitry.
You should be able to feel the pop on whatever chip it is.

That being said, there are other possibilities to try before hand.
Perhaps your battery could be sending too much power to the DS, and it's popping once heated up to a certain point?
That's just a thought.

So try another battery? If it's a phat DS, the GBA SP's battery will work in it.

If another battery doesn't work, then I'd personally just sell it as is on eBay and buy a new one. :3

jiyabil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh wow thanks. you may be right cause the ds is actually about 6 years old. ill try to put the battery of my SP. ill tell you what happens next. thanks man

jiyabil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i tried replacing my ds battery with my sp battery but it wont fit. the popping sound isnt bothering me anymore though

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've had that problem with some homebrew. The homebrew crashed, the DS made a 'pop' sound, the music of the game still played even though I turned the volume bar down (on a DSPhat) and the screens were still on (frozen, no backlight). I was shocked. How could it be that the volume slider is ignored? It's hardware for fuck's sake, the software crashed but that shouldn't have any effect on hardware. I haven't experienced the problem with my DSi though.

claudekennilol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk much at all about the DS, but if it crashed and the music is still running in memory, but all services got halted, changing the switch for the music wouldn't do anything since it's still interpreted through software

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But isn't the switch supposed to block sound waves from coming through when it is completely turned down?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica