Ds emulators on 3ds performance

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by meornot0, Jul 3, 2011.

Jul 3, 2011
  1. meornot0
    OP

Member meornot0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok, so it is known that games that have fps problems on a ds, such as Okamiden, work without fps problems on the 3ds.
    So, i have a question. Is it possible to create emulators/homebrew for DS, but have it made for the power of the 3ds, as apparently when ds games are bellow their locked framerate they can use the extra power of the 3ds cpu.

2. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    3DS is not hacked, the answer is no.

3. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Simply put, no, it is not possible because the performance of a 3ds in ds mode is nearly identical to that of a ds, meaning there is NO use of the extra cpu from the 3ds in ds mode. Just wait for 3ds mode to be cracked to ask for emulators.

4. meornot0
    OP

Member meornot0 GBAtemp Regular

United States

Sorry if i wasn't clear, i meant not running emulators in 3ds mode, but running them in ds mode with the extra cpuy power of the 3ds.

@ seranade : If there is no extra power on the 3ds, then why does okamiden run much better on a 3ds than a ds?

5. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

You cannot. The 3DS clocks down and disables the extra Ram. If it were possible, then it would have happened on the DSi.

6. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Actually, when you said DSi, that reminded me of what could possibly be happening.

If Okamiden is a DSi ROM (which it probably isn't) then it could be using the 3DS's CPU at DSi levels, which would be twice as fast compared to the DS.