WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, i'm looking for a decent ebook reader for my ds, but my only stipulation is that i'd like to be able to hold the DS open like a book (a la Top Trumps Doctor Who/Hotel Dusk/etc). I saw DSReader is a highly regarded ereader, but i don't know if that does the sideways hold. Also, i'm not looking for a spesific type of file, i can change my ebooks around as needed (for file type), but i'm just looking for a decent "Open Book" style e-reader for the DS.

Also, i'm looking at checking out Phidias (the DS drawing proggie) but any time i find a link to their main homepage, i get a wonderful 404 error. Can someone point me in the direction of the newest version? (Or maybe hit me w/ the newest version number and i'll find it myself?)

Thanks, Tempers. Ya haven't let me down yet. Well, no one accept for p1ngpong. But i still love that little scamp anyway.
wtf.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
updowners said:
I've found a download for Phidias but I don't know if its the latest one.
http://library.dev-scene.com/index.php?dir...idias041907.rar

Ahh thanks
smile.gif
i did see a few download links at random places... some worked, some didn't, but i didn't take notice to the version numbers. I'll give this one a shot though. If anyone else has a more finite answer on the latest version, i'd still be very grateful as well
smile.gif

Kkolko

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DanTheManMS said:
ReadMore and DSLibris would be your main two choices for book-style ebook reading.

ReadMore: Uses .txt files | Uses .bfont
DSLibris: Uses xhtml files| Uses easy-to-get .ttf fonts

.txt is easy to convert
.bfont is VERY hard to convert

.xhtml is not simple to convert
.ttf fonts are the fonts on your PC

I prefer ReadMore, because it uses .txt and the standardfont is good at 12pts.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i was looking for converters to .xhtml and only found some tuts on how to do it... and it doesn't look like fun
tongue.gif

So i snagged both programs and tried out ReadMore and it works like a breeze. I wasn't looking for Ease-Of-Font use either. Hell, i didn't even consider fonts when i was looking for a program heh.

And converting to a .txt (especially from .lit) is a BREEZE. So ReadMore is my choice.

(i was really getting this for Wife®, as she is a HEAVY reader. She's been through the Twilight books about 5 times since she started reading them... and that was JUST after the last book was released. She rereads them because she has nothing else new. And she was working through the last two books in ebook form, so she'd sit at either my computer or hers and read em... i figgered this would be easier. And she LOVES it. Yay me!)

Thanks guys, for the help!

redspeed0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you could convert txt files to xhtml online via http://media-convert.com

in my ReadMore, bookmarking seemed to be not working.
please help me, i might have missed something.
i followed the 'read me' file that comes with the zip file when downloading ReadMore.
and it says to creat a DATA folder and inside that folder create the fonts folder and the states folder.
only the bookmarking is not working.

i don't want to start reading a big book and then go to the last page that i read page-by-page.
help please.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The following will be of no help to windows users:

xhtmlease.png

(built in mac os text editor save options).
blink.gif

Lit2Html (free download, ~98% success rate) will convert lit to html files on a mac. You can then save out again in textedit with the above settings.

Ever popular convertlit (clit, free download, ~100% success) also has a mac version but its a bit more fiddly to install and write an applescript drag and drop application front end, but once you do it runs just like Lit2Html only its as close to 100% success rate as you're likely to get.

Preview (also built into mac osx) will open PDFs, you can then select all the text and copy it straight to textedit via the clipboard (about twice as fast as adobe acrobat's export as text feature) then as above, save it out as html and rename.

If you need to edit the html code of your file to fix errors or add an html title,

htmledit.png

(also right there in text edit's open and save preferences)

Handy.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
speaking of readers... do you guys know of any that support rich text (ie, formatting)? I know they're just eyecandy, but having formatting enabled turns a wall of text into a very very legible read.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Tassu, the guy who wrote Phidias, has moved to a new website: [link]
041907 does appear to be the latest version.

[Edit: oops, didn't realise how old that part of this thread was :S ]

dire-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use Readmore, however the left screen (which would normally be the top screen) is so dark it's not worth the time even trying to read it. I looked around to see if anyone has a solution to this and was wondering if anyone here is having similar problems and maybe have a solution. If it weren't for this bug I'd definitely be using this reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr