DS #DSi 0040: Sonic Classic Collection (USA)

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The game was made with the DSi's SDK, hence the bunch of crap that STILL lingers around this.
Now, what ever happened to that one thread we had on this before?(could've just merged it with this one instead of nuking it)

Now, any chance that someone's extracting these 'roms' from the 'game'/emulator and seeing what they've done to them?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Omega_2 said:
Now, any chance that someone's extracting these 'roms' from the 'game'/emulator and seeing what they've done to them?

That's what I wanna know too. Since this is effectively just JenesisDS tweaked so S3+K will work on it, could we not simpy use this to enhance JenesisDS, thus bypassing any AP problems? As far as I'm aware this is still not working on Cyclo 1.57b4.

Quick question about Jenesis btw. Has anyone ever gotten Sensible Soccer working on it? I played that game to death as a kid but JenesisDS refuses to play it. Tried several roms from several sources, no joy. If anyone knows how to fix it I'd be most grateful for the support. 'Specially given my eBay/FFXIII woes at the moment (see blog), they make me a sad panda
frown.gif

Loginer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just tried unpacking the ROM, and found something interesting. There are two folders in it: One called "image", and one called "imagei". The folder "image" contains the soundtrack and sound effects for each game in six separate module files, while "imagei" seems to contain the actual game/emulator in a file called "game.pak" (had no luck trying to unpack it). Perhaps the emulator was made with the DSi in mind, after all.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omega_2 said:
The game was made with the DSi's SDK, hence the bunch of crap that STILL lingers around this.
Now, what ever happened to that one thread we had on this before?(could've just merged it with this one instead of nuking it)

I ripped 4 ROMs yesterday, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles. I ripped them from RAM dumps, was not able to rip the 2 lock on games because they seem to be shifting junks of the ROM in and out of RAM as its running. Couldn't get them to run on any Sega emulators for the PC, but they do run on jEnesisDS.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Loginer said:
I just tried unpacking the ROM, and found something interesting. There are two folders in it: One called "image", and one called "imagei". The folder "image" contains the soundtrack and sound effects for each game in six separate module files, while "imagei" seems to contain the actual game/emulator in a file called "game.pak" (had no luck trying to unpack it). Perhaps the emulator was made with the DSi in mind, after all.
Ah, you did it, too? XD
Wonder if we've anything that can parse these snd_Sonic1_sfx.mods and snd_Sonic1_trx.mods?

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this game was built with the DSi SDK, it might make it incompatible with normal rom extracting tools. I tried to swap some files in the rom and rebuild it, but it would not run, which is common when doing something like that, but when I change things back and rebuilt it, it still would not run. Also after recompiling the rom, it is about 20 MBs smaller. This is expected, except that the rom fills the whole 64MB file, there is no padding, so something is being lost during the data extraction, could it be dsi based stuff?

Zparks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Although this seems to be 'off topic' in regards to what is being discussed. I've been playing this since the inital nuked version. and a few minor things come to my attention.

I believe there may be some things missing, as there's apparently ment to be video's covering the history of sonic. This I can't find. I also feel it's a shame that there's no further 'unlockable art'

Also as an aguement against this being a 'definitive' collection of Sonic titles, wouldn't it have been better to have it set up properly with Sonic 1, 2, 3&K (as 1 title as it was originally intended) and Blue Sphere (which I assume is missing due to it not being 'canon')

That said I've bought Sonic in every way possible; Master System, MD/Gen, Sega-CD, Saturn, DC, PS2 (both collections) GC, Wii, DS & 360. But I feel there's something missing here. If anything I feel it's a little too 'slap-dash' and not really planned out.

thrashman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this sucks with Acekard
Sonic classic collection works with 1.5
Sonic all stars racing works with 1.5.1
Not vice versa
Hopefully a new version of the AKAIO comes out soon

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CycloDS still can't play the game at all.

And Sonic and SEGA all-stars racing is nothing more than a clone of Mario Kart with a few more loops and no jump button.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Zparks-

Of course it feels cheaply made. SEGA was so lazy, they hired Lordus (maker of JenesisDS) and used a slightly modified version of JenesisDS in this collection. They can't even code their own emulators without the help of independent homebrewers. So this is simply a rush job not made by Sega themselves. There is no end to their laziness. We're probably lucky Lordus even existed, or we'd have another unplayable mess like Sonic Genesis. It's kind of pathetic.

As for the video, i recall something like that, or maybe a video of Sonic Chronicles... At any rate, it's not the first time something was reported and didn't make it in the game. Sonic Genesis on GBA had ON THE BOX that it contained not only the remixes of the soundtrack, but the original tunes could be unlocked. That was a complete lie.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omega_2 said:

Interestingly, the moved HUD seems to be the emulator in SCC's doing; the same roms dumped and then run in JenesisDS has the GUI in its original location from the Genesis versions.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
Omega_2 said:

Interestingly, the moved HUD seems to be the emulator in SCC's doing; the same roms dumped and then run in JenesisDS has the GUI in its original location from the Genesis versions.
That's pretty interesting and cool actually. I always thought what JenesisDS needed was a HUD repositioner option. So then you wouldn't have to scale the image to see it, everything would look pretty clean.

Zparks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That's pretty interesting and cool actually. I always thought what JenesisDS needed was a HUD repositioner option. So then you wouldn't have to scale the image to see it, everything would look pretty clean.

Maybe that's why it was made on the DSi SDK; what with the DSi and DSi XL having larger screens it might scale better?

pulstar80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
And Sonic and SEGA all-stars racing is nothing more than a clone of Mario Kart with a few more loops and no jump button.

Douche much?

Is it possible to extract the emulator itself from this game? The way they did with Snake's emu in the Smash Pack. I imagine it's nigh-on impossible but thought to ask anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1